Corsair Community

Vengeance K90 & Linux

romeodelight

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I usually don't use my k90 with my linux box, but I made a test on Fedora just for you. All the keys fonction properly, even the multimedia key and the leds. Obviously, the only thing that do not work are the G keys and the macro keys.

Don't know how hard it would be to get G buttons to work in linux, but i know few people who didn't buy g15 or g11 keyboard because those didn't have that functionality either. Just saying it might be worth implementing, since "linux gurus" actually use more keyboard.. for example they prefer to type commands to terminal instead using GUI with mouse.

Doesn't matter to me that much (im not linux guru), but it would be nice feature to have when booting to opensuse/ubuntu.

• 2 months later...

Bumping this to add that I would also like to see full Linux support for the K90. In fact, I found this thread because I'm in the market for a new keyboard and was researching on Google about a high-quality backlighted keyboard with functions that work on Linux.

And hey, not only are Linux guys usually tech enthusiasts, but with Valve porting Steam games over to Linux there are likely to be more Linux gamers looking for well-supported "gamer" input options (e.g., keyboards, mice).

I have been using my K90 with Linux for some months now and there are only three things that do not work properly:

1. G-keys/macros
  2. I get an unwelcome trailing aposrophy when I do this: [']v [letter]v [letter]^ [']^, for example "I'm" becomes "I'm'"
  3. Caps-Lock and Scroll-Lock LEDs never light up

The G-keys would make my Linux experience that much more delightful (I love the terminal and use the same commands often), and the extra apostrophes makes typing annoying.

The Caps-Lock LED is not so important because I never turn on CAPS, and I've never in my life had use for Scroll-Lock. I have also read in other threads that the CAPS and Scroll LEDs work in some distros (like Fedora), but they have never worked in any of the distros I have tried (Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, Arch, Gentoo, BackTrack, Sabayon).

The Num-Lock LED works.

Media keys and volume scroll works.

Windows key lock works (probably in hardware).

Backlight adjustment works (probably in hardware).

Some of the G-keys send keycodes that are recognized as other keys (G17 is Pause/Play).

I would really like it if there was support for macro recording/playback in Linux. Honestly I don't think I would have ended up with this keyboard if I knew that macros wouldn't work in Linux.

If there is enough demand for a Linux version, we can look into it.

If Corsair released some technical specs on the protocols the keyboard uses to handle the special keys I bet the Linux community would step up and do a lot of the work for you. (Not to mention spreading the word that the keyboard is Linux-friendly.)

(I received mine, today, by the way. Love the way it feels and looks. Having fully functional G and M keys would be the cherry on top.)

• 2 weeks later...

i registered just because of this thread...

if you add linux support for your keyboards and mices i'm pretty sure the people will buy it more since its fully functional... not like other keyboards with macro keys which are useless since there is no driver/software on linux to properly configure it... so you ed up with a heap of unused keys instead of making them functional for something

just my 2 cents

P.S. if you do add support for K90 you got a new customer

• 2 weeks later...

As you can see, there is starting to get some people who really would like a fully opperating keyboard with G-keys on Linux.

Is there any progress in the plan of develop drivers for this? :sunglasse

I tried to comment the source as much as possible when writing it, usage should be quite straight forward. There are really a lot of comments in the .sh so reading the script.

The dev version (1.6) will be easier to use however (when working), as I splitted the script in 3 files: script, general conf and layout (with various layout files allowing for various layouts)

The K90 seems to work fine on my Debian install, the only things that don't seem to work are the macro keys and the volume knob. While the volume knob can adjust the volume, either way I spin it, it just turns the volume up. I don't know if it's like this for everyone or just me, using an ASUS Xonar DS 7.1 PCI card if that's relevant at all. I can definitely live with it, but I would love to see some Corsair love for Linux support.

The K90 seems to work fine on my Debian install, the only things that don't seem to work are the macro keys and the volume knob. While the volume knob can adjust the volume, either way I spin it, it just turns the volume up. I don't know if it's like this for everyone or just me, using an ASUS Xonar DS 7.1 PCI card if that's relevant at all. I can definitely live with it, but I would love to see some Corsair love for Linux support.

The volume knob works perfectly for me. Both to adjust the volume up and down. I'm using ubuntu 12.04

But as you say, the macro keys does not work out of the box. Have you tried what jupiter has made?

@Jupiter: You said something to me about an more easy install-package that maybe would be finished the day after you sendt me that last PM. Anything new about that? :sunglasse

Well, +2 demands here(me and a friend of mine)! I would without a doubt buy the k90 if there was linux software available.

the feature's i would imagine for a linux version:

-working macro keys, able to execute commandline commands

-the ability to script the keyboard from the system (e.g. change backlight from the commandline if the keyboard supports it)

-auto updates

thanks in advance :D:!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry, hectic timetables prevented me from faster answers.

My current version of the linux script is quite workable, although not that easy to install.

@r2d290: I still have a major buffer issue, preventing me from doing real time key interpretation, and the binding of scripted keypresses to the G1-G18, once this is solved, they keyboard will be usable for gaming purpose also (so far it works for sysadmin purpose).

Heaps of work slowed me down on the dev (will probably last a few more weeks), and I was a bit slowed down when I gave the corsair a sip of beer :s. After 3 days drying it seems to be working fine again.

Anyway, when the keyboard was down, I did a successful test with the script on the unsupported buttons of my mouse (razer imperator).

As my idea that this script would work for different devices is now confirmed, I decided to rename it to a more general name, update your links to:

https://github.com/jupiter126/Linux_Custom_Control_Device

Commenting to also request linux support.

I'm in the market for a mechanical keyboard but will be installing linux mint as soon as steam/tf2 is working well under linux. Therefore linux support is a must for whichever keyboard I choose. Very awesome you guys are listening to feedback, corsair rocks!

Also, Awesome work jupiter!

Archived