Corsair Community

Help! How to get rid overtighten screw?

JerkyMcDilerino

I accident overtighten one of the thumbscrew that attach to the H110 block, and now i can't uninstall it, because when i try to turn the thumdscrew on block the tiny silver screw inside the backplate spin along with it. So does anyone have any suggestion? I try to get my plyer to get hold of that silver screw inside the backplate, and it doesn't work. I call one of the Corsair support, and they said all i have left is to teardown or rip off that backplate.:mad::mad: Also, i'm running an i7 4790k on ASUS maximus vii hero

Try a pair of needle nose vice grips,,or an impact screwdriver which may be best...

I don't have any of those, but if i'm planning to rip off the backplate will the thumbscrew that got stuck damage my motherboard cooler mounting hole? Because i feels like this is going to suicide my PC, one of the thumbscrew will not release from my motherboard unless i have to do about the silver screw inside the backplate.

Ripping of the backplate would still leave the standoff to deal with,of course doing so may give more looseness to use pliers to grip the screw head...

Alright, but will the thumbscrew going to some damage to my motherboard while i'm ripping off the backplate? and what tool do you recommend or tip to rip off backplate without any damage to the motherboard? I really frustrate right now because i want to use mx 4 thermal compound on my CPU.

Alright, last question will the thumbscrew on the H110 block going to damage my motherboard CPU mounting hole while i'm ripping off the backplate? Also, can i just grab the backplate and then pull it or just get something cut the bad mounting screw on the backplate? Because i'm going to this but i'm just worry about my motherboard

I wouldn't try ripping the backplate off, this will cause DAMAGE to the MainBoard PCB.

The proper way to remove it would require channel lock pliers and adjustable wrench. Clamp the channel lock pliers to the retainer nut inside backplate, then unscrew standoff with the adjustable wrench.

The standoff only needs to be hand tight, not iron tight when reassembling.

I wouldn't try ripping the backplate off, this will cause DAMAGE to the MainBoard PCB.

The proper way to remove it would require channel lock pliers and adjustable wrench. Clamp the channel lock pliers to the retainer nut inside backplate, then unscrew standoff with the adjustable wrench.

Can you make a video for that please? I'm too shaky to do this, so atleast a video show me how to do it that would be great and give me confident.

Plastic is stripped in the H110 backplate. You just need to stop the silver screw from spinning while you remove the thumb screw. Rubber band on the silver screw on the back + pressure from screw driver on top of the rubber band to make it stop spinning. While holding pressure on the back side, remove the thumb screw as per usual. This shouldn't require any drilling just appropriate pressure. Everyone is way over thinking this.

Plastic is stripped in the H110 backplate. You just need to stop the silver screw from spinning while you remove the thumb screw. Rubber band on the silver screw on the back + pressure from screw driver on top of the rubber band to make it stop spinning. While holding pressure on the back side, remove the thumb screw as per usual. This shouldn't require any drilling just appropriate pressure. Everyone is way over thinking this.

So just put rubber band onto the silver screw and then hold it with plyer then unscrew the thumb screw/standard?

Yup. The only thing stopping you from getting that thumb screw out is the silver part on the back spinning as you turn it. Just find a way to immobilize it while you turn the thumb screw and you're home free.

Well, i'm think apply super glue on the silver screw and the backplate itself, but i'm worry if it drip into the thumbscrew or into the motherboard itself.

I'm sure if you are careful it will be fine. You could also look for some heavy duty tape but glue would likely be easier. Use something to wipe the glue over it don't just pour it and you wont have a problem with it getting everywhere.

Also just a thought, if that silver part can at all be pushed kind of past the back of the bracket you could grab it with a pair of pliers while you twist the thumb screw. Maybe give that a shot first.

I'm sure if you are careful it will be fine. You could also look for some heavy duty tape but glue would likely be easier. Use something to wipe the glue over it don't just pour it and you wont have a problem with it getting everywhere.

Also just a thought, if that silver part can at all be pushed kind of past the back of the bracket you could grab it with a pair of pliers while you twist the thumb screw. Maybe give that a shot first.

Here is the picture of the backplate. http://imgur.com/HRLVGvR

You can see there is a gap hole in the backplate.

Needle nose pliers should be able to grab onto that no problem. Better investment (if you don't have any) than glue at least.

I already tried that with my old needle nose pliers. The silver screw just keeps spinning, i try to hold it with my moderate force to that silver piece but it does not help at all.

I try to get my plyer to get hold of that silver screw inside the backplate, and it doesn't work. I call one of the Corsair support, and they said all i have left is to teardown or rip off that backplate.

A screw driver isn't going to hold the retainer nut from turning and drilling the standoff out will damage the MainBoard if you're not experienced.

The solution to remove the standoff without DAMAGE to the MainBoard would require channel lock pliers / vise grips and adjustable wrench. These two item can be found at any hardware store for less than $10.00.

Open the vise grip or channel lock pliers and put one jaw on the backplate retainer nut and other jaw on outside of mounting bracket, tighten until retainer nut doesn't move. Then you can use the adjustable wrench to

unscrew the standoff.

This actually sounds like the the retainer nut was cross threaded. After the standoff is removed, test fit all standoffs with backplate to make sure there is no resistance. If the threads were crossed it will require a new mounting bracket assembly (contact Corsair customer service for parts needed).

Archived