Corsair Community

Corsair CX750M psu surge 3 dead hd,s and Msi board damaged.

homerlvsbeer

to guys at Corsair,

And for the interest of PCs builders I add this post.

I just bought the Corsair cx750m psu from maplin.

I fitted it into my PC as I switched it on for the first time I heard a click noise then smelt burning. I powered down. Checked cables was ok, and powered up again, my PCs Msi M power motherboard lit up, but when I clicked power on, Nothing.my PC just would not power up.

So I removed the Corsair psu, refitted my old psu and my PC booted no issues. At first. Windows would not boot turned out my 2 2tb hard drives and 1tb hd was now dead. I got another hd and the PCs found that but would not notice the others. Smoke and sparks started coming from my mpower motherboard so I shut it down and left it alone. I am shocked to find out there has been many incidents with Corsair psu. And now my Msi mpower motherboard £300 it cost damaged I expect north bridge is damaged from possible surge from faulty corsair psu CX750m. And my Western Digital black edition 2tb hd's dead plus 2 more hd's possible my DVDrom not working or its issue with my motherboard not getting info from disk due to the damage the Sparks and smoke. I am shocked this has happened from doing a power supply upgrade which has seriously damaged my PC. Obviously these units need to be recalled. I just upgraded my graphics card from evga gtx680 4gb to a galax gtx 980 and decided I needed a better psu. Kinda wishing I didn't bother.

I am so angry there selling this psu when it seems many people have had faulty versions of the cx psu. When it costs so much money to build a gaming PC I expect a quality product to be a quality product that's why I chose this psu. I hope the gpu is not damaged or my i7 4770k or my 12gb of avexir memory. 3 hd's and. Motherboard is enough and expensive to replace the mpower board is not cheap. Hopefully maplin will sort this out for me. But I have lost over 4tb of data. And 2weeks also with no PC. What should have been a simple psu upgrade has destroyed my PC.

I hope maplin will sort this out. These psu's seem to have some kind of fault, it should not be ignored by Corsair. this could become very expensive psu upgrade nightmare. Kinda is nightmare already. :(

• Corsair Employee

I just bought the Corsair cx750m psu from maplin.

I fitted it into my PC as I switched it on for the first time I heard a click noise then smelt burning. I powered down.

Any idea where the smell was coming from?

Smoke and sparks started coming from my mpower motherboard so I shut it down and left it alone.

With what PSU? Did you put the Corsair back in or the other PSU? If not the Corsair PSU, why do you think the Corsair PSU had anything to do with your board smoking and sparking?

I am shocked to find out there has been many incidents with Corsair psu.

What many incidents?

And now my Msi mpower motherboard £300 it cost damaged I expect north bridge is damaged from possible surge from faulty corsair psu CX750m.

Why do you suspect this is what happened? Like I asked before: Is the board new and just the PSU was replaced?

And my Western Digital black edition 2tb hd's dead plus 2 more hd's possible my DVDrom not working or its issue with my motherboard not getting info from disk due to the damage the Sparks and smoke. I am shocked this has happened from doing a power supply upgrade which has seriously damaged my PC.

Are you 100% certian you had all of the power connectors connected correctly? Were the SATA cables connected properly? Was the correct 8-pin power connector plugged into the motherboard? These PSUs are tested at the factory on a test fixture to make sure all of the correct voltages are going to the correct pins. My first suspicion would be either something was connected incorrectly, an incorrect cable was used (one not meant for the CX750M modular interface as different brand PSUs have different pin outs for their cables) or the motherboard was prone to failure.

Obviously these units need to be recalled. I just upgraded my graphics card from evga gtx680 4gb to a galax gtx 980 and decided I needed a better psu. Kinda wishing I didn't bother.

I am so angry there selling this psu when it seems many people have had faulty versions of the cx psu.

Companies don't recall products because one person has a problem. I don't know who these "many people" are and I'm in these forums every day. Furthermore, we have a staff of five people that do nothing BUT scour forums for Corsair issues. If there was an epidemic, Corsair would know it.

What I suggest is this: Contact support. Tell them about the damaged motherboard and hard drives. They'll do a failure analysis on the PSU and if they find that damage was caused to the other parts, they'll pay to replace them.

My PC was working with no issues none zero. No problem what so ever. I fit new psu from Corsair into my build I hear a click noise and smell burning so I removed the psu the Corsair cx750m that has just obviously caused my PC harm. Great harm. Plus the PC would not start. So this obviously is a faulty psu. Agreed. Fit psu Corsair cx750m here a click noise then smell burning. Powered off PC. PC would not start. But was lit. So power off. Remove obviously. A faulty psu ( cx750m ) then I fitted my old psu back into my build the psu I have had zero issues with for a good 2 years. Power on. PC turns on. PC won't boot into windows. Notice bios does not recognise any of my 3 drives. All dead. All of a sudden Sparks and smoke come from near north bridge Where Sata cables go into motherboard. So I shut down my PC. And phone maplin. I am not thick. I've been building PC And fixing them for over 10 years I think I can handle fitting a psu. It. Does not matter what psu I have been using at all, my psu is of no concern it works perfectly without issues. What is a concern is. Exactly what did the Corsair psu do to 3 hard drives to make them dead. And what did it do to my motherboard to cause it to start sparking and smoking when a working psu was fitted. The computer has been working perfectly for 2 years until I fitted the Corsair cx750m psu. It hD no issues. No problems. I have put a lot of money into this computer. Money I don't have agAin. Over a thousand pound. Are you going to tell me by some freak of nature it was not the power pack, cx750m thAt wAs faulty. Even thou it don't work correctly. It has to be a problem else where. I don't think so. Obviously to an intelligent individual. When fitted the cx750m faulty psu, it caused the issues. I never had before I fitted it. If you must know the build is 2yeArs old not that that matters in this cause the build could be 30yeArs old. What's important is the cx750m I fitted in my PC was faulty. My original psu which still works and has worked without incident for 2years is a modular 650watt psu a power cool x viper. I just upgraded my graphics card from gtx680 to gtx980 and I needed a psu upgrade everything worked before I fitted the Corsair cx750m. It doesn't help me or other customers to try and swindle your way out of blame. This Corsair cx750m psu was faulty and must have caused a power surge damaging my PC 3 hard drives and motherboard. �� the motherboard is not old it is Msi mpower max z87 not like they have been around that long.

When I first fitted the Corsair cx750m psu. I heard a click noise from psu. I did smell burning slightly. I didn't know where from, I guessed at the time I t was from psu, but now I think about it, it must have been from hard drives or motherboard or both. Sometimes when you fit new electrics you get a smell like burning its sometimes just cause it's not been used before. New smell. When the psu would not start my PC, I decided to remove it. I then fitted my psu I've been using for few years. Found PC would not boot. Bios did not recognise hard drives at all. Like they wasn't even fitted. All of a sudden more smoke then sparks from where Sata cables go into motherboard. The Corsair cx750m killed my 3drives and the smell of burning must have had something to do with that. It's the Corsair psu at fault here nothing else.

How can you not fit them correctly even a baby could understand that the connectors will only fit where they should fit the only connectors that are the same are the PCI and cpu connectors. Yes I think I know by now where they go. Tut tut. Imagine if this happened to you, someone asking you if you fitted the connectors correctly it's not very difficult is it,

Google cx issues I found 2 people on same site saying the cx psu did not work. Some complaints about the whining noise they make. If you don't care you don't care. But if it wAs your PC it would be different story. Well now at leAst you know of 1 just how many people have to loose expensive hardware due to your faulty corsair psu's before you start giving a damn about it 10 or 20 or 1 hundred people suffer and have there pc's burn out before you decide to do something. Oh don't worry wouldnt want you to stArt loosing profits cause of your faulty psu now that word hurt wouldn't it. Bet you start caring then.

I said already maplin are looking at it. I am just telling you what happened to me. Sorry I upset you so much to report it but. Like I said in my first message am writing about my issues so corsair know and other PC builders. Sorry if it bothers you, but it bothers me a lot more. Promise you that. Am not so keen on loosing so much money. There are issues out there if you look around I found them easy enough. Cx psu sent back cause not working, and mine power surge kills PC from quirky quality corsair psu. So you have a few pls do keep count. Wouldn't want a mob of 300 people or more knocking on your door.

Why do you suspect this is what happened? Like I asked before: Is the board new and just the PSU was replaced?

Well, intelligence and common sense actually. Why your concern is with my Msi mpower max z87 motherboard I have no idea. It's a forth gen board for the i7 4770k do you really think it's got to be the board. Have you got any sense of electronics and how things work. I have given you a very good description. Twice. And yet you still ignore the fact I fitted the corsair cx750m and it made a click noise and I smell smoke. Also that it would not power on my PC. Yet when I put my old psu back on my PC it worked. But my hard drives were dead, and sparks and more smoke came from my motherboard. This is a very simple explanation tells you what happened yet you want to ignore the fact I installed a psu and it didn't work. Not only did it not work it damaged my hard drives. And my motherboard yet you think you know better. Faulty psu can damage hard drives and motherboards it is the heart of the machine. It provides the power for it, so if that psu is faulty it can damage anything that is connected to it. Why is that so hard to grasp. I think it's not that hard for someone to understand yet you prefer to put blame elsewhere. Go look on toms hardwAre I gave you a link. Plenty of people complaining about there psu killing hard drives and more. More Importantly a few people saying a corsair psu killing hard drives etc. I think you don't have a clue what your talking about. Did I plug it in properly omg, it's not rocket science my friend. It simple. I fix computers I understand how they work and how they are put together and much more. I am not at fault like you assume you are very cheeky. Don't have to be a genius to build a PC it's actually very easy. If I can couple up the motherboard to the case, you think I would struggle to fit a psu. I've been working with pc's since I was young am now 43 years old. And my brain still in good working order. If you are intelligent you can diagnose where the problem started from my description. It's not difficult.

• Corsair Employee
It doesn't help me or other customers to try and swindle your way out of blame.

Who's swindling? I told you that you could do a damage claim with Corsair. That not only means you can get your PSU replaced, but also the parts that were damaged if they find the PSU is at fault. That's WAY MORE than what most companies would do for their customers.

How can you not fit them correctly even a baby could understand that the connectors will only fit where they should fit the only connectors that are the same are the PCI and cpu connectors. Yes I think I know by now where they go. Tut tut. Imagine if this happened to you, someone asking you if you fitted the connectors correctly it's not very difficult is it,

I'm not talking about plugging the peripheral cables into the PCIe ports and vise versa. I'm talking about using the cables from another PSU in the Corsair PSU. What kind of PSU was your old one?

And you CAN actually plug a PCIe power connector into the motherboard and vice versa if you try hard enough. They're both 8-pins and I've seen it done before.

Google cx issues I found 2 people on same site saying the cx psu did not work. If you don't care you don't care.

Two people. Even if it's twenty people, there are THOUSANDS of CX PSUs in use. It's not that I don't care. It's that you're talking about recalling a product because less than .1% of customers have an issue.

Some complaints about the whining noise they make.

That's completely unrelated, but... ok.

But if it wAs your PC it would be different story. Well now at leAst you know of 1 just how many people have to loose expensive hardware due to your faulty corsair psu's before you start giving a damn about it 10 or 20 or 1 hundred people suffer and have there pc's burn out before you decide to do something. Oh don't worry wouldnt want you to stArt loosing profits cause of your faulty psu now that word hurt wouldn't it. Bet you start caring then.

If I didn't "give a damn" I wouldn't have responded. And I certainly wouldn't have suggested contacting Corsair support and filing a damage claim. What would I do if it were my PC? I'd contact the PSU manufacture and do a damage claim which is exactly what I suggested to you.

• Corsair Employee
Am waisting my time and effort even talking to you. Of course I fitted it correctly. My god, I suppose just couldn't be that the psu was defective no I suppose there all perfect. My foot.

If you keep spamming the forums like this, I'm going to ask a moderator to ban you.

There's no reason for you to tantrum like this. You posted that you had an issue. You're not looking for a solution. You're not looking for advice. You're not even looking for someone to explain to you how to get support from Corsair. You're just ranting.

If Malpin is looking into this, fine. But if they find the PSU is at fault, are THEY going to replace the damaged parts?

Like I said: Corsair has a damage claim system in place. If you don't want to utilize it, that's your choice.

• Corsair Employee
Plenty of issues on toms hardware for you to read. Remember to count. You know 1 2 3 and so on.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/s/Corsair+psu+issue/

Never said Corsair PSUs didn't have issues. ALL products have issues from time to time. YOUR issue is that you claim the PSU blew up your three hard drives and your motherboard. How many of these issues have you found?

I'm not saying it's not the PSU's fault or your fault. But I am saying that it's not something that's seen often enough to warrant a recall.

I understand you're upset, but please try to be mature about it.

I was looking for someone who might understand how this can happen. You started off by telling me you believe that is must not be the psu but that you believe I wired it incorrectly I explained myself and you asked me questions that I already give you. You seem to be saying that must be my fault. You keep on asking me if I used the correct wires I keep telling you I did. I wanted helpful information I didn't want someone who is not listening to me, and blaming me or trying very hard to say I must have done something wrong. You are not helpful I expect you think you know better than everyone else. That is why you got attitude. Because you have been ignorant continue to put blame in my hands. Like I said I have explained myself very well for anyone to follow. I put plenty of time into my explanation yet you continue asking me pointless questions. That you only seem to find blame with the way I fitted it. Maybe you need to check your ego, listen to people And don't judge people. If this is the kind of help that is in this forum I don't care for it or need it. I Told you. Maplin are looking at it. I bought the psu from them, after they find what is wrong they will contact me and they will replace any broken hardware if they find the psu at fault. Which they will. You really need to listen to people, don't judge or blame. Don't give people your attitude, and maybe be possible to have a reasonable conversation with you. Maybe.

• Corsair Employee

Might be a language barrier. Not sure. Maybe you should re-read my response. I did and I still don't see anything wrong with it. You say that I "kept saying" you were doing something wrong. In fact, there were question marks at the ends of my sentences asking you if you were sure and you, somehow, got offended by that.

You want to know how this can happen and I told you. It can happen if the wrong cables are used (i.e. cables from a Seasonic or SilverStone PSU used with a Corsair PSU, for example) or a cable installed incorrectly and you got offended by the implication that someone thought that you could somehow make a mistake.

If it's not user error or the wrong cables used, then it's a bad PSU, bad motherboard, etc. but someone in a forum can't deduce that for you without having the parts in hand.

I don't believe I'm the one that needs the ego check. If you're offended by someone telling you that you might have, not definitely have, but might have made a mistake, then YOU are the one with the ego.

Closing this thread because it is completely non-constructive on many levels.

Archived