Corsair Community

Asus Maximus X Hero Ram Compatibility?

Ektelion

Hello i wanted to change my G.Skill ram sticks for the Corsair Vengeace Pro RGb ones but i don't find them on the QVL of either Asus or Corsair.

Will i have a problem to install them on this motherboard?

Cpu Intel i7 8700K

I was looking at https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/Vengeance-PRO-RGB-Black/p/CMW32GX4M2C3466C16 those honestly but not sure yet.

I was thinking of a total of 32gb with 2x16gb since i will be using the 2 dummy kit for the extra RGB and since my motherboard is dual channel there is no point to get 4 sticks, i will stress out the vrm for no real reason.

Or should i instead get the 2x8gb instead? What's the differences of 2x8gb and 2x16 gb on raw performance or is it just for future proofing?

also on top of this, do we know which of the sticks are b-dies?

My G.skill memory sticks are 3200mhz CL14 and are b-dies, i can't find any similar from Corsair.

Are all the Vengeace Pro RGB line with SK hynix?

Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

Since the QVL list is the “tested” list, it’s hard for anyone to know if that specific kit works on your specific board unless they happen to have both. That said, it would be absolutely stunning if it did not run. You don’t see people with ROG boards popping up and they can’t run a mid-frequency kit.

Your assumption on the dual channel, 2 vs 4 modules may not be correct. Asus uses a “T-Topology” design (their marketing term) on that board that offers better bandwidth (and supposed stability) with 4 sticks on a dual channel system. I pulled 2 of my Dominators out of a 4x8 kit and was surprised to see a 10-15% drop in throughput while in the prime 2 stick configuration. That doesn’t mean you need the extra overhead room, but it is something to consider.

No guarantee anything is B-die and you have to have version numbers, something you won’t see on a website. It is unlikely to be the kit that is $30 cheaper than all the others. There are some 3600C16 kits which likely could go down to 3200C14, although you are likely to have better performance at the higher frequency these days.

• 1 month later...
. although you are likely to have better performance at the higher frequency these days.

Could you please elaborate on what you said in the above post quote please.

I'm about to purchase Asus Maximus XI Hero Call of Duty 4 Black Z390 motherboard and I have purchased Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB

Speed: 3200Mhz

CL: 14.14.14.34

Model: CMT32GX4M4C3200C14

I as well did not see this Corsair memory in the QVL list.

Thanks for help and feedback in advance.

...although you are likely to have better performance at the higher frequency these days.

Could you please elaborate on what you said in the above post quote please.

Historically, when a new memory standard is first implemented (DDR2, DDR3, DDR4), you often are able to get better performance at lower frequencies with tighter timings than a speed rank above with looser timings. (3200 14-14-30-T1 has better benchmarks than 3466 at 15-17-35-T2, etc.). This is particularly true for things like end latency. However, as the product matures and the upper frequency limits increase, it usually becomes impossible to replicate the early mechanics. Even very loose timings at higher frequencies will be better than the tightest possible set one, two, three speed rungs down. (4000 19-21-45 produces better marks than 3600 16-16-32). We are at that point now. You can probably make things pretty close between adjacent standard frequency levels (3200 vs 3466, 3466 vs 3733, etc). However, case in point in the Dominator 4x8GB 3600C16 kit I have installed right now. It will run 4000 17-19-39-T2 with a mild voltage bump all day and night. Ironically, I tried earlier this week to crank it down to 3200 14-14-30-T1. I was unstable for normal operations and while I could keep tweaking until I got it, the benchmarks are lower than current stable settings at 4000 in every regard --- including end latency. There is no reason for me to do this, even if I don't use the extra R/Wr/Copy bandwidth.

To be clear, I am not suggesting your actual system level performance will be any different at 3200C14 vs 4000C19. It was a general shopping tip to the prior user. If you buy a mid-frequency kit, you may get better results going up with relaxed timings vs going down and tightening hard. *Also, some of this is more relevant at 2 modules vs 4. The Asus Topology stuff seems to have more benefit at lower frequencies like 3200 and dwindles down considerably at 4000 2x8 vs 4x8.

3200C14 is a good kit and to do that is must have pretty decent material. It is likely to be able to extend its reach. I have a now very old 3200C15 kit from the early X99 days that will run 4000 as well on the newer Z370/390 platforms. Now what you are probably really after is whether it will run. It would absolutely shocking if it did not and that is a quality set of RAM.

Edited by c-attack