Corsair Community

HX1200i - HD120/140 fans stay spinning

oxyle

Hello everyone,

I've been building a new system based on the Gigabyte Aorus Extreme and a 3950X. Also been using a new HX1200i which I use with all original cables.

I connect all of my fans to the RGB fan hub which get its power from the PSU directly (SATA). When I flip the PSU switch to on my fans light up, and they start spinning (even without OS installed). With Windows and fast bootup disabled this still happens.

Are you using a Commander Pro or other external fan controller? That too gets its power from SATA and those connections will receive power with the 24 pin jumper in place or any other power on. This is normal. They are displaying/spinning at their default settings.

I am using a Phanteks PWM hub in my case yes! All RGB is being handled by a Lightning Node Pro, both getting power through SATA.

Is there any way to turn it off when my system is actually turned off?

It will all power down through normal Windows/OS shutdown. Right now in the pre-build state, if the PSU is on, then all SATA powered devices are going to be on as well. Disconnecting the SATA power from the RGB hub and the fan controller will stop that. Lights and fans normally come on in the BIOS state.

I am not sure if you are booting up with a 24 pin bypass or simply sitting in the BIOS. I guess it doesn't matter at this point, but you won't have control over lighting until the OS and iCUE software are installed.

OK, the "even without the OS" thing was a stray lead. You have already finished the build. The PC is not turning off.

There are several possibilities, but nothing in the above really narrows it down.

1) OS corruption. Windows does not send the proper signal to enter power off state. I am guessing this is what you were trying to describe originally. If the OS was not installed and you were in the BIOS, how were you initiating the shutdown?

2) Motherboard issue - it does not send the signal to the PSU to turn off. Any 3rd party extensions or other cables in place of the 24 pin cable? You said no earlier which unfortunately points directly at the MB.

3) It's the PSU. That one you might be able to test with a 24 pin jumper and a live SATA cable. If you flip the switch off and the fans continue on, that would be a clear sign. However, you have inferred this only happens when the PSU switch is on. I don't see an easy way to distinguish between MB and PSU without swapping one of them out. That is always a tall order - swap in your extra MB or extra PSU.

You shouldn't have to enable the ERP to power down main PSU lines. It also may have other less desirable consequences for your normal use. It can do weird stuff, like shut down fans at unexpected times.

I can't remember any issues with these settings on my Asus X99 Pro or Strix. You might reach out to Asus. If ERP is capable of shutting them off, then that appears to clear the PSU. You shouldn't have to use ERP to do this.