Corsair Community

New build SSD question

Hello all. I am new to the CORSAIR and custom builds. I currently am working on a 3 monitor setup. My tower included the following..

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x

ASUS AMD AM4 ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) Motherboard

Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB - 2 of these

MSI Geforce RTX 2080 TI 11GB Gaming X Trio

Corsair 1000 Watt Platinum Power supply

Windows 10 64 Bit

Memory undecided due to new build....

Monitors are Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27inch (Running a 3 monitor setup)

Tower is a Corsair Crystal 570X RGB Mirror Black ATX Mid Tower

Cooling is Corsair H115i RGB Platinum Liquid Cooler

My motherboard says it can do a GEN 4 M.2. With that being said, Corsair offers a Gen 4 M.2 SSD (Force Series Gen.4 PCIe MP600 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD), but it has a cooling block on top of it. If you notice with my motherboard, the M.2 slots have a plastic piece that goes overtop of the M.2 slot, which would interfere with the Corsair Force Series Gen 4 M.2.

What is recommended here. Could I remove that plastic piece and just not use it? Should I remove the cooling block and not use it? Or is there another brand I should go with? I am just trying to stay with the Corsair brand. Any help would be great!!

Edited by bsanders03
part changes

Hello all. I am new to the CORSAIR and custom builds. I currently am working on a 3 monitor setup. My tower included the following..

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x

MSI MEG x570 ACE Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB (2 by 16)

Corsair MP510 960GB M.2-2280 NVME SSD

MSI Geforce RTX 2080 8GB Gaming X Trio

Corsair 850 Watt Platinum Power supply

Windows 10 64 Bit

Monitors are Asus ROG Swift PG279QZ 27inch (Running a 3 monitor setup)

Tower is a Corsair Crystal 570X RGB Mirror Black ATX Mid Tower

Cooling is Corsair H115i RGB Platinum Liquid Cooler

My motherboard says it can do a GEN 4 M.2. With that being said, Corsair offers a Gen 4 M.2 SSD (Force Series Gen.4 PCIe MP600 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD), but it has a cooling block on top of it. If you notice with my motherboard, the M.2 slots have a plastic piece that goes overtop of the M.2 slot, which would interfere with the Corsair Force Series Gen 4 M.2.

What is recommended here. Could I remove that plastic piece and just not use it? Should I remove the cooling block and not use it? Or is there another brand I should go with? I am just trying to stay with the Corsair brand. Any help would be great!!

You already have an MP510, so you already know how fast these devices are. Whether, or not, you would see any appreciable performance difference in the real world with the MP600 is somewhat debatable, at least from the reviews I've read. Moreover, there is a significant price premium to pay! Also, there is far more competition in the market with the Phison E12 based drives, which are basically all the same, so prices are kept pretty low.

No peice of plastic is ever going to aid cooling, since it is an insulator. Personally, I'd ditch the plastic and use any heatsink of your choice for the NVMe drive(s), or even none, as these drives are designed to run hot. If you do get an MP600, then I think I'd use the supplied heatsink, if it fits. However, having looked at a review of your mobo, are you absolutely sure that those NVMe covers are plastic? AnandTech describes them has heaksinks, which to me, suggests aluminium. This would be more in keeping with other mobos in this class. If that is the case, then I'd use the mobo heatsinks, rather than the one supplied with the MP600.

Ref. https://www.anandtech.com/show/14603/the-msi-meg-x570-ace-motherboard-review/2

Edited by Yemble