Corsair Community

LL 120 fans connected to Fan Hub and Commander Pro lighting not working after 10 min

N4zroth

Hi,

so my setup is this (we're only looking at the lighting part, the speed control is working fine): I have 8 LL 120 fans connected to my first Commander Pro, 4 on each channel, they are working fine. The lighting of the Corsair RAM as well as the case (1000D) are working as well, the case is connected to the first port of the case's Commander Pro.

Now to the problem: I have 2 fans connected to the second port of the Commander. The lighting works fine when iCUE loads (spiral rainbow, inner and outer LED rings are changing colors as they should). After about 10-15 minutes, the outer ring of the first one stop changing colors and stays static, as well as the whole second fan. The inner ring of the first fan continues to change. After that, they aren't controllable by iCUE anymore and nothing but a complete power down will help.

What am I looking at here? Is the Fan Hub corrupted? Is the first fan somehow damaged? Is it a software problem?

I'm kinda lost :-/

Thanks for your help!

The fans are serial in regard to lighting patterns, so a problem on fan 1 will knock out 2-4. Try moving #1 to the last position. It may still act strangely (bad fan) or the RGB hub providing the power is in the chain too. If the new #1 also does this, the hub may be at fault. Not sure why it takes time to go off course. Seems like a loose connection somewhere, internally on the fan or otherwise.

Ok so I switched the fans around and after initially working when being plugged in, five minutes later the first fan behaves the same (only inner circle working) while the second (now in the first slot) is working fine. So I figure it should be a fan problem (which is the worst case cabling-wise) and I'll order a new one and switch it out.

Thanks!

If you move a new fan into the #1 position and it does exactly what the previous #1 does, that suggests the RGB lighting hub is the issue or a very strange software glitch. The RGB hubs are hard to come by. You might reach out to Corsair Support. That would be one way of obtaining a new one.

I might have phrased it incorrectly. The fan which was in slot #2 before is now in slot #1 and works fine. The malfunctioning fan that was in #1 with only the inner ring working is now in #2, showing the same behavior bringing me to the conclusion that both ports of the hub are working and the fan is somewhat iffy :-)