Corsair Community

H100i Temperatures with i5-4690k

nkhaira

Hello, So with the specs listed above, my Idle temps are around 35-40C

These are the following background applications I have open: Steam Nvidia (Geforce/Control Panel) in Taskbar ASUS AI Suite 3 (Where I control my fans) McAfee 2015 Antivirus Plus

Can anyone offer me any suggestions, compared to what I have seen on others computers my Idle temp seems pretty high with a Corsair H100i, Is this a good idle CPU Temp?

My PC is in my garage, and it is a bit hot (Not that much though) so I do have a fan usually on

I Use HW Monitor to monitor my CPU Temps

Just another note, my ASUS Bios, and even my AI Suite 3 does not recognize a CPU fan, I had to click ignore on the CPU Fan error in the Bios, to be able to use my computer (Not sure if that could be a issue)

I know my BIOS is not up to date, but I have been sort of frightened of updating it since of all the horror stories

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about flashing the BIOS on that board, you should be able to to return it to normal if it goes wrong, and I've personally flashed the BIOS on my X99-A board twice now, and the EZ Flash USB port makes it super easy.

35C doesn't seem out of the ordinary, and might be pretty good if you're running an OC. My H100i and H105 were giving me between 32-34C temps at idle on my 5820K at stock speeds. What temps are you getting under loads? Larger rads will help with higher performance, but do little to improve upon idle temps compared to 120 rads and many after market air coolers.

As far as the fan error, where is your pump plugged into? Is the header plugged into CPU_Fan? If so, you're better off using CPU_Opt since it doesn't get mobo control and a straight H100i doesn't have a variable speed pump. I have my fans on my H105 connected to the CPU_Fan header using the Y cable, and to case_fan headers as I'm running push/pull, but you shouldn't be getting that error off the bat, so knowing what's plugged in where, if you're using the water block's y splitters, etc, are important.

I wouldn't worry about flashing the BIOS on that board, you should be able to to return it to normal if it goes wrong, and I've personally flashed the BIOS on my X99-A board twice now, and the EZ Flash USB port makes it super easy.

35C doesn't seem out of the ordinary, and might be pretty good if you're running an OC. My H100i and H105 were giving me between 32-34C temps at idle on my 5820K at stock speeds. What temps are you getting under loads? Larger rads will help with higher performance, but do little to improve upon idle temps compared to 120 rads and many after market air coolers.

As far as the fan error, where is your pump plugged into? Is the header plugged into CPU_Fan? If so, you're better off using CPU_Opt since it doesn't get mobo control and a straight H100i doesn't have a variable speed pump. I have my fans on my H105 connected to the CPU_Fan header using the Y cable, and to case_fan headers as I'm running push/pull, but you shouldn't be getting that error off the bat, so knowing what's plugged in where, if you're using the water block's y splitters, etc, are important.

I am not running an overclock so those are the stock idle temps.

I will test out BF4 and see what temp I am getting and report back.

I will also try and plug the H100i into the CPU_opt slot

Thanks for your help

also, I did end up updating my bios to the newest version and still got the CPU error so it is not the problem of having an older bios

I will report back asap

Some higher end Z87/Z97 MainBoard will run both CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT ports at full speed. So H100 can be connected to either port.

Alright thanks for that information, I will test it out after I check my load temps

Alright so in terms of load temps, in bf4, I got on average 50C highest ever being 56C, lowest 47C (Using Vsync)

Are these good temps with a H100i?

I don't know much about your specific CPU, but those don't seem too bad at all. My 5820K sat around 48 under loads before I remounted the cooler. I did some Googling and found this thread from Tom's Hardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2302699/intel-4690k-h100i-temperatures-normal.html

Your temps seem perfectly normal for your CPU.

In terms of the CPU Fan error, would you know where the CPU_opt port is on my motherboard? (ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer)?

In terms of the CPU Fan error, would you know where the CPU_opt port is on my motherboard? (ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer)?

It looks like your CPU_Opt header is actually labeled CPUFAN2 and is located between the right most RAM slot and the OC Genie button. Since it's different from the Asus mobos that I'm used to working with, it might work differently than the way Asus' _Opt header does.

It looks like your CPU_Opt header is actually labeled CPUFAN2 and is located between the right most RAM slot and the OC Genie button. Since it's different from the Asus mobos that I'm used to working with, it might work differently than the way Asus' _Opt header does.

Alright Thanks for all your help!

What I did (You might laugh, lol), my friends whom helped me build this pc, one of them plugged the Corsair into the CPU_opt slot not the CPU_fan.

So I saw that and fixed it then booted into the bios and the CPU Fan was detected!

Thanks for your help!

You need a fan or something plugged into the CPU_Fan header, but unless you're running a variable speed pump, you'll either not want to plug in the pump to the CPU_Fan header, or you'll want to disable any variable controls that the BIOS has to extend the life of your pump. I myself originally installed my H100i that way, but when I installed my H105, I switched it out.

I'm glad that we were able to help you figure this out. Nothing stinks worse than a new system that refuses to work properly!

Archived