Corsair Community

Greetings Corsair Team, I am loyal corsair buyer and fan who lives in Canada. I wanted to contact you and expecting your answer as soon as possible. The subject is about your Hydro X Series Custom Cooling. Do not misunderstand because you guys are completely In line with other premium cooling brands such as Alphacool / EKWB / Bitspower etc but the thing is many things are lacking and needs to be fixed asap or else you won't be able to truly compete and gain market share that fast. Here are some tips that have to be done and I hope you guys at least respond with even the slightest information. I will buy all of your Custom Cooling components once this is done and believe me it's not just about me it's about many of your customers around the world including me.

1) Cpu Blocks: Your XC7 and XC9 Cpu blocks are the same the only thing that distinguish them from each other's is the color which is super lame considering there are many platforms including the mainstream and the HPC ( which is becoming more popular than ever ) and each one of them consist a specific design to fully dissipate the heat effectively without any issue in the long-term user experience. Your HPC blocks need to be bigger and hide more surface than ever, for example, the Xeon W3175 or the Threadripper 3960X/3970X or the upcoming 3980X/3990X are huge chips and need a consistent surface area and a bigger CPU blog to make full contact with the chiplets and do its job effectively. Those chips truly consume a huge amount of power when pushed and things get pretty toasty if you push them way harder than expected. Your mainstream Cpu blocks are okay but not perfect. You need to change the design a little bit more and yes please keep the RGB it's the trend and the future portal to the next decade. Your Cpu blocks need a new design and a revision asap and make it fast.

2) Gpu blocks: You only have one type of GPU block which is the XG7 which is super beautiful but won't appeal to everyone at least add another type which is like the XG9 for the enthusiasts who are willing to overclock their GPUs and change the design a little bit don't make the edges rough and all black as it is at least make like the XG7/XG9 with the same aesthetics and color and like the XG7S/XG9S with a see-through design like EKWB or Bitspower does in their GPU blocks. Many people want to see their components. And for the love of god keep the flow meter there. It is the best choice you've ever made and maybe making your backplates RGB will add some flavor to some extent and everyone will be amazed at how far your products have come.

3) Pump-Reservoir combo: You only dispose of one pump reservoir combo which is the XD5 which is pretty good PRC overall BUT have its issues like a little bit of high pitched noise coming from the pump. Added to this the reservoir is not big enough especially for huge Builds like building in your magnificent 1000D case or for overclocking lovers the reservoir is not big enough. Make at least Pump-res combo like the XD7 and the ultimate XD9 which is double at least the size of the XD5 and the XD7 is in between. Oh and for the love of god fix the noise issue and we don't care if it's loud when pushed too far but at least make it reasonable. Make the flow higher and the RGB a little bit brighter.

4)Super important note: Your fittings are one of the best in the market if not the best overall. We are super impressed by those and we have nothing to complain about. Your collaboration with Bitspower on those had a huge positive impact when it comes to the design choice and reliability of those fittings. When it comes to the radiators we have the same opinion as to the fittings great design choices overall and very good performance and heat dissipation from those rads.

5) Your GPU blocks compatibility need to be better well rounded in the next-gen of GPUs either on Nvidia or AMD GPUs. Excellent choice of supporting several cards like the FE and the RTX Strix 2080Ti for example. Do the same strategy again and again. That's it overall I hope I get an answer very quickly from you guys and I hope or rather I wish and you have to make those changed in order the win the already crowded market. Corsair needs to shine 2020 will be your year so do not make your fans and customers disappointed Corsair. Yours truly.

1) I think someone can chime in that has HEDT, though I think externally they look the same, though the cold plate has more surface area and fins on the XC9 than than theXC7 IIRC.

2) I see your point about having different looks will appeal to more people, though I think Corsair's design is more focused on quality and economy of scale. While having more variations of looks would appeal to more people, it would also raise the cost. They are also fairly new to the game so it might make more sense to start small. The extruded AL body does appear to help with reducing the cost. I did a review on this block as well: [ame]

[/ame]

I would love for them to add a flow meter that ties into the tach for the next version :)

3) What I said in #2 can also be true for this. Regarding the sound and flow rate, have you tried to control the pump via PWM? I think I have mine set at 85% as the flow meter doesn't work great at slower speeds. When no PWM is used it runs at 60% by default.

4) I agree, granted Bitspower isn't the cheapest fittings. I love the HW Labs rads.

5) I will refer to #2 again.

1) There is, actually, a difference between the XC7 and the XC9 besides the color. The XC9 has more microchannels for heat dissipation so it's a bit more efficient. The XC7 will certainly work (well) for HEDT but the XC9 will be better. I can't recall the exact numbers off the top of my head but it was mentioned at launch - I'm surprised that it's not detailed on the product page.

Your points are well taken and, I think, pretty much on target. Keep in mind that HydroX hasn't even been out for a year. As Solarity noted, they are targeting the broad marketing with economics of scale for mass appeal, which drives down cost. But that is somewhat contrary to the 'typical' custom loop mentality where small batches of highly specialized products for a premium cost are the norm. This is particularly true of GPU blocks.

Yours truly.

And as a consumer myself, a lot of your points are completely moot.

Your mainstream CPU blocks are "ok", but not perfect.

I guess AMD and Intel's CPU sizing is imperfect.

P.S. Not everyone has a $500 FULL Tower and the percentage of users having a Full Tower is so negligible that it probably doesn't count. Most use a Mid-Tower, and the reservoir is PERFECT for the sizing of both.

High pitch? What!!! I can't hear a high pitch coming from the pump due to the 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9 fans in the case.

What I posted and said was a necessity, to say the least, and I hope my thoughts and post will be seen by the moderators and corsair team and I truly wish they will take each word into consideration

I want them to succeed and I wish to buy every water cooling components from corsair but to be honest, the blocks are not enough for extreme CPUs like overclocked AMD Threadripper or overclocked Intel Xeon W series and their GPUs block design needs to have another fully clear interface and another full nickel version and a bigger pump/reservoir combo. As for the rest of the component, it is well made and I have nothing to complain about

the blocks are not enough for extreme CPUs like overclocked AMD Threadripper or overclocked Intel Xeon W series

While I cannot speak for the Intel Xeon W series, I can speak, from experience, about the ThreadRipper. I can tell you, with absolutely no qualification or caveats, that the HydroX CPU block is more than enough for the ThreadRipper.

How can I tell you this? Because my ThreadRipper has been under a Corsair block since July. Have you had a ThreadRipper under a Corsair CPU block?

Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you but you're rather talking about 1st or 2nd gen Threadripper. Yes, I have experience with Threadripper CPUs and I had the 1st gen Threadripper 1950X under a block but I can assure you that the 3rd gen is completely different from its predecessor since it has a Chiplet design rather than a monolithic one which means it needs a larger surface area to cool all those CPU dies especially that the 3990X is on the horizon and just to inform you, it has 4 more extra CPU dies than the 3970X which means the corsair block will NOT be enough by any means nor in its surface or cooling capacity, I'm talking facts here and not throwing words around.

Again, I want HydroX to be better and I will make sure this happens.

Edited by Tilol

Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you but you're rather talking about 1st or 2nd gen Threadripper. Yes, I have experience with Threadripper CPUs and I had the 1st gen Threadripper 1950X under a block but I can assure you that the 3rd gen is completely different from its predecessor since it has a Chiplet design rather than a monolithic one which means it needs a larger surface area to cool all those CPU dies especially that the 3990X is on the horizon and just to inform you, it has 4 more extra CPU dies than the 3970X which means the corsair block will NOT be enough by any means nor in its surface or cooling capacity, I'm talking facts here and not throwing words around.

Again, I want HydroX to be better and I will make sure this happens.

Really? Oh, thank you so much for informing! I guess I had missed ALL the press about the new ThreadRipper 3rd gen!!! What would I ever, ever do without you telling me all about it?

Seriously. Stop treating me like an idiot. And you are throwing words around. Until you've actually put a TR3 under the block, you don't know. And, tbh, no one (publicly) has put the 3990X under a block yet. So yeah ... you are throwing words around. Because facts are in scarce supply for a processor that hasn't been released yet.

As for the 3960X ... well, I have one waiting to be installed and it'll be under an XC9. We'll see how it does.