Corsair Community

Corsair H100i V2 Unknown 1300rpm MB fan in CL

MachineRage

As the title says i have a Corsair h100i V2 and for all intents and purposes it works fine and my temps seem stable after i had to replace my H100i GTX because it decided it couldn't cool my processor down anymore lol But it seems that is problem most have had so now with my new V2 in CL link i get a fan show up running at only 1300 rpm and it reports that its a motherboard fan even though i get clear reports for the radiator fans and the pump and now this mysterious fan which can't be a mobo fan because i have my fans running at max set off my case not my motherboard so i just wanna know if anyone knows what this fan is and has anyone had the same thing on there CL Thanks!

P.s Also i use a ROG OC panel which is meant to report my Radiator fan speed and processor temps But now it shows the 1300 rpm fan speed.

I assume you have the H100iV2 connected to the CPU_FAN header and assuming this I suspect the 1300 rpm fan is a H100iV2 fan. Do the two speeds change in phase?

It would be easier for me to know if you posted a screen shot of the CL4 [Home] tab.

Hey man Thank you for replying i got the screenshot for you and yes the pump is plugged into the CPU header with the q control turned off in the bios Oh and yea i can change the fan(s) speed from CL and i see and hear the difference but the 1300 rpm value never changes.

CL.thumb.jpg.7e374648442e81ed3f6f13f229573d03.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=25937&d=1469297381

Hey man Thank you for replying i got the screenshot for you and yes the pump is plugged into the CPU header with the q control turned off in the bios Oh and yea i can change the fan(s) speed from CL and i see and hear the difference but the 1300 rpm value never changes.

Given a H100iV2 fan speed change does not change the 1300 RPM, then I am not sure what is going on. Which version of CL do you have?

Do you have AI Suite active? This causes issues for CL4 if it is.

CL4 just reporting the name as Fan is a PITA! What does my SIV utility report? Post the Menu->Hardware->Cooling Status panel as it will report a sensible fan name.

Right i can confirm that i am not using Ai Suite and i am using the most recent version of CL4 I don't understand what you mean by PITA i haven't seen it called that but i have hopefully attached the siv cooling status screenshot Also a further development is that i am finding an oily spatter around the inside of the fans which is leading me to belive it may be leaking from the radiator fins.

SIV.thumb.jpg.d86b8ceda966d1ddb7c0b2a1dd3fd9d3.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=25938&d=1469300004

1. Right i can confirm that i am not using Ai Suite and
  2. i am using the most recent version of CL4
  3. I don't understand what you mean by PITA
  4. i have hopefully attached the siv cooling status screenshot
  5. Also a further development is that i am finding an oily spatter around the inside of the fans which is leading me to belive it may be leaking from the radiator fins.

1. Good.
  2. Why not quote the version number? Did you know there was a new release 2 days ago?
  3. Fan could be any fan, but from the SIV screen shot I now know it's the CPU Fan. See #1.
  4. Ideal. I would expect 2 CPU Fan and H100iV2 Fan 1 to be about the same, but all the values are different by a factor of two. Is there a BIOS option to specify the pulses per revolution for the CPU_FAN header? If there is then I suspect it's set to 4 when it should be set to 2. If not what happens when you interchange the two H100iV2 fan connections?
  5. I suspect it coming from the fan bearing is more likely. If you clean it away how quickly does it come back?

Ok so i apologize for not quoting the version number kinda new to forums But i can confirm that it is the one you speak of the newest update from 2 days ago and i get what you mean from point 4 and i tried booting to my bios without the 2 radiator fans connected and the 1300 rpm fan is still reported by my OC panel and i also chnged them for different fans but the value remained the same even in my bios my cpu header just has diabled auto and advanced mode just for the q control no other option so i don't know Oh and the oily discharge took about 4 days to reappear after first time i saw it on the day of delivery so hopefully if it is oil from the bearing i will take that over leaking radiator thank you

i tried booting to my bios without the 2 radiator fans connected and the 1300 rpm fan is still reported by my OC panel and in my bios my cpu header just has diabled auto and manual just for the q control no other option so i don't know

This is very strange, but I don't have an ASUS Rampage IV Black, so I am not sure what effect the OC panel may be having.

What happens if you power the H100iV2 from one of the CHA Fan headers and plug one of the fans into the CPU Fan header?

Yea i agree it is strange my OC panel used to report my H100i GTX as what CL4 would see it at like 1900 rpm and i would assume that was each fan running at 1900 rpm and i would see the panel report it increasing and decreasing and yea i tried it in a different header and i got cpu fan error and the weird thing is that the cooler/pump seems to work fine i have no conflicts CL4 works alright do you think i should get corsair on the phone and ask them? Also do you think i should try running windows without my oc panel connected and check CL4?

Have you tried interposing the two H100iV2 fans? Maybe one has a faulty tachometer. Given the oil I am wondering if this could be a factor. I would be inclined to log a call via https://corsair.secure.force.com/home/home.jsp and see what they say about the oil. Upload a photo and the invoice.

Corsair made some changes such that to run SIV and CL 4.2.4.25 at the same time you need to use the SIV 5.12 Beta. To get this do Menu->File->Download->SIV Beta.

Some of the names on the SIV [Cooling Status] panel were not ideal so I have fixed them in SIV 5.12 Beta-08.

Well i did try replacing the fans for the ones from my old broken h100i GTX and the result was the same 1300 rpm in CL4 and HWinfo so i don't believe it be the fans it seems that it has to be something else i have no case fans connected to my mobo they are all case driven to run at max and when i had my H100i GTX i had no such problem except it physically breaking after 8 months from purchase so do you think this one could be faulty also?

do you think this one could be faulty also?

It could be anything. You need to check what happens with different headers.

I can't find a reply to the following? Did you try this?

What happens if you power the H100iV2 from one of the CHA Fan headers and plug one of the fans into the CPU Fan header?

See In CL4 i can physically see and hear both fans hit maximum RPM when i set them to max but yet every program that gives me temp or cooling info say there is a fan running at 1300 rpm so god knows i haven't seen anyone with an issue like this.

When i plug the pump into a different header i get CPU fan error in the bios and trying the fans on their own they both appear to be working correctly

Plug one of the H100iGTX fans into the CPU_FAN header to keep the BIOS happy.

Plug the H100iV2 into a CHA_FAN header. Are H100iV2 and CHA_FAN fan speeds the same?

Right i did what you asked i plugged the pump into my CPU_OPT and plugged one fan into the cpu header and the other into another individual one and basically the bios reported 2 1300 rpm fans and the pump at 2700 rpm oh and my OC panel reported the right fan speed like 2000 rpm but everything is still showing 2 fans running at 1300 rpm so yes everything stayed the same

Im pretty sure the 1370 fan speed is the pump speed divided by 2. CL used to warn you about the different dividers used in 3.52 something.

(I havn't installed corsair link myself for ages so cannot comment on the newer versions)

Does the v2 have variable pump speeds ? (Performance mode etc) If so you could change the pump speed and see what effect is has on the 'unknown fan'

I did what you said and no the H100i v2 is running at 2700 rpm and the CH fan reported 1300 rpm and the cpu fan reported 1300 rpm it seems that with this v2 that the fans must both run at 1300 rpm But as i said before i tried different fans connected to the pump the way the instructions state and i still got a 1300 rpm report and CL4 said the same as my screenshot showed i really think this cooler is faulty.

Maybe I overlook something, but I don't understand what your problem is. The cooler works and the temperatures are fine, is that correct?

As Kippsy said, the 1370 fan is the pump speed divided by two. It's a fan that doesn't exist, just ignore it. I have exactly the same, Link reports the non-existing fan as fan 2 and SIV (correctly) as CPU fan. Obviously both programs have no way of knowing that it is not a fan. Why Link reports it as a chassis fan is beyond me. However, once you know what it is it's a non-issue.

Both

Im pretty sure the 1370 fan speed is the pump speed divided by 2. CL used to warn you about the different dividers used in 3.52 something.

This is not the pump speed, it's one of the H100iV2 fan speeds! Asetek coolers report a fan speed to the CPU_FAN header and CoolIT coolers report the pump speed :!:.

Right i did what you asked i plugged the pump into my CPU_OPT and plugged one fan into the cpu header and the other into another individual one and basically the bios reported 2 1300 rpm fans and the pump at 2700 rpm oh and my OC panel reported the right fan speed like 2000 rpm but everything is still showing 2 fans running at 1300 rpm so yes everything stayed the same

From what you have said 1300 RPM getting reported all the time is strange and I can't see why this is happening. I have never see this reported as an issue before and I would need physical access to the system to comment further.

I feel you should contact Corsair via https://corsair.secure.force.com/home/home.jsp and ask about this effect.

As i have said this 1300 rpm fan seems to appears no matter what fans i attach to the cooler and nothing i have tried has made any difference so i am just gonna scrap corsair and buy something more reliable with better software control Thank you all.

Archived