Corsair Community

[Question] H150i Pro RGB Fan Setup - Push Pull

juanwill

I'm thinking about getting the H150i Pro AIO, and then mounting a second set of three corsair RGB fans to it. I'm looking at either the ML120 RGBs or the HD120s for the second set of fans on the radiator, as the LL120s do not have that light ring on the back side. I'm going to use three LL140 fans for exhaust on the top/rear of my case instead.

I've never done a push pull config before, so I was wondering which set of fans (the ML120 RGBs or the HD120s) would better suited for push pull along with the three included ML120s that came with the AIO?

I understand that I would need two Corsair RGB lighting hubs, 1 for the set of LL fans, and another for the set of HD/ML RGB fans. I would then connect each lighting hub to the two channels on the Corsair Commander Pro. Would I then connect the included ML120 (non-rgb fans from AIO) to the three pwm connectors on the AIO, and then connect PWMs for the other six fans (3x LL140s, 3x ML120 RGB/3x HD120) to the Corsair Commander Pro?

Any help is appreciated!

What made you choose to set the fans to exhaust rather than intake?

In physics, the second law of thermodynamics says that heat flows naturally from an object at

a higher temperature to an object at a lower temperature, and heat doesn’t flow in the

opposite direction of its own accord.

Unless sophisticated refrigeration is employed it would be impossible for the temperature within a computer case to be lower than the ambient temperature (the temperature surrounding the case)

Therefore drawing warm air from within the case through a radiator will be less effective

than drawing cooler ambient air, from outside, through the radiator fins to exchange the heat.

Corsair know the laws of thermal dynamics that is why they recommend fans be set to intake air

not exhaust unless you have special cooling case properties.

Is this still the C70 case? Or something else? As far as the radiator fan performance goes, there is little to separate the ML120 RGB from the HD120. I have been using them both for some time. However, there might be a few things worth mentioning.

1) If you are going to use the stock ML120 "Quiet" that come with the cooler on one side, then the ML120 RGB are the natural match. It's the same with fan with and without RGB. That's hardly a requirement, but some people like symmetry or smoothness of sound.

2) To that end, the ML are going to be just a bit quieter at like speeds. Thus in theory, you can push them up another 200 rpm for the same noise equivalent and therefore they offer better performance on a loudness basis. I would not call the HD loud, but the ML are very quiet. On a front vertical mount, the differences would be less apparent then when the HD are inverted.

3) If this is a C70(?), are you going to be able to see anything? If you are thinking about RGB in front of the radiator (stock grey on the back), then the ML might be all you need for some basic color option. The spotlight effect may be lost through the grill, etc.

Regardless to all of the above, I would pick the one that is most visually appealing. All the rest is minor at best.

Is this still the C70 case? Or something else? As far as the radiator fan performance goes, there is little to separate the ML120 RGB from the HD120. I have been using them both for some time. However, there might be a few things worth mentioning.

1) If you are going to use the stock ML120 "Quiet" that come with the cooler on one side, then the ML120 RGB are the natural match. It's the same with fan with and without RGB. That's hardly a requirement, but some people like symmetry or smoothness of sound.

2) To that end, the ML are going to be just a bit quieter at like speeds. Thus in theory, you can push them up another 200 rpm for the same noise equivalent and therefore they offer better performance on a loudness basis. I would not call the HD loud, but the ML are very quiet. On a front vertical mount, the differences would be less apparent then when the HD are inverted.

3) If this is a C70(?), are you going to be able to see anything? If you are thinking about RGB in front of the radiator (stock grey on the back), then the ML might be all you need for some basic color option. The spotlight effect may be lost through the grill, etc.

Regardless to all of the above, I would pick the one that is most visually appealing. All the rest is minor at best.

Sorry I forgot to mention which case I would be using I kinda forgot lol

I'm using the Fractal Design Define R6 TG, and the front three fans would be blocked by the front case cover. I was initially thinking of just putting three LL120s on the back of the radiator for push pull, but decided against it since the signature light loop is only visible from the front. I'm leaning towards using HD120s for the backside of the radiator (pull) since it still keeps most of its RGB 'effects' even when seen from the back. However the ML120 RGBs are also better performers, and they would also match more closely with the included ML120 non-rgb AIO fans.

Is having different spec fans on each side of the radiator for push/pull (non-rgb ML120s on the front of the radiator and HD120s on the back of the radiator) fine for a push pull config? Should I then go into corsair link afterwards to try to match some of the fan speeds, etc?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot of stupid questions lol I'm just a very anal person when it comes to these sorts of things.

Edit: I've done a little more research, and some say that it's better to have the stronger fans (higher CFM/rpm, etc.) on the pull side of the radiator. I've seen other people post saying that the stronger fans should be on the push side, so I have no clue what's correct.

I'm thinking about getting the H150i Pro AIO, and then mounting a second set of three corsair RGB fans to it. I'm looking at either the ML120 RGBs or the HD120s for the second set of fans on the radiator, as the LL120s do not have that light ring on the back side. I'm going to use three LL140 fans for exhaust on the top/rear of my case instead.

I've never done a push pull config before, so I was wondering which set of fans (the ML120 RGBs or the HD120s) would better suited for push pull along with the three included ML120s that came with the AIO?

I understand that I would need two Corsair RGB lighting hubs, 1 for the set of LL fans, and another for the set of HD/ML RGB fans. I would then connect each lighting hub to the two channels on the Corsair Commander Pro. Would I then connect the included ML120 (non-rgb fans from AIO) to the three pwm connectors on the AIO, and then connect PWMs for the other six fans (3x LL140s, 3x ML120 RGB/3x HD120) to the Corsair Commander Pro?

Any help is appreciated!

The below thread is worth the read dude

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

No, having different spec fans on either side is not a problem and with the C-Pro, you will likely run one bank of three from there and the other from the cooler's pump controller. You will be able to set different curves, match speeds, etc.

Solid front panel on the R6 (I think?), so front lighting not an issue. I rather like the back side of the HD series. We were discussing this the other day and the clear plastic used lets off a lot of light and makes it look a bit classier. Below is a promo shot of the Slate concept with a lot of HDs turned around.

1000d_built_30.jpg

I don't this really matters in terms of operation. You should go with the one that feels right to you. You already know the LL are not quite so fun in reverse. I might shy toward the ML if I did not have a direct line of sight.

Click on Zotty's name about and see if you can find some pics of his set-up. He has a mix of LL and HD.

@c-attack and @zotty

Thanks so much for the advice, you guys basically answered everything I needed answered. That thread you posted with all the diagrams is a godsend lol

I'm going to go with an intake push pull setup, with the included ML120 (from the H150i) on the push side and 3 HD120s on the pull side. I'm going to connect the included ML120s to the pump PWMs, and then the HD120s to the CoPro. Yeah the R6 has a closed front, so using the HD series on the back is pretty much the best option for RGB effects since they look really nice from the back due to the clear housing. I'm then putting 2 LL140s on the top for exhaust and another LL140 on the rear also for exhaust.

Archived