The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2019, 05:50 PM
CrxigSm1th's PC Specs

POST ID # = 997741
CrxigSm1th Reputation: 10
Question Case fan position

Okay so i have 4 corsair AF120's , two at the front, one at the back and 1 at the top, just wondering whether they are installed the right way, and what way i should install them

here are some pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190314_211420.jpg (4.70 MB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190314_211424.jpg (4.75 MB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190314_211427.jpg (4.84 MB, 38 views)

Old 03-14-2019, 06:14 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 997744
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

Computer fans are the opposite of your typical household fan. When looking at the fan, the "pretty side" with the blade is the intake side. The opposite side with the support structure vanes and specification sticker is the exhaust side --- or the direction air will travel.

From your pictures, it looks like the front two fans are acting as exhaust, while the top and rear are acting as intake. It probably works, but you might want to flip all of them around and see how it compares. Most cases are designed from a front/bottom intake, top/rear exhaust philosophy. It is possible to make other arrangements work, but usually with some concessions.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:33 PM
Swag's PC Specs

POST ID # = 997750
Swag Reputation: 10

Actually, upon closer look I think he might've placed all his fans as intake. Flip your top and back fans and you should be good to go. This way, you get the optimum/standard airflow of intake from the front and exhaust from the back/top.

Usually the side with the grill is the one where air comes out from. You can also inspect your fans closely. There should be arrows on it that indicate which side is intake or exhaust.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:39 PM
CrxigSm1th's PC Specs

POST ID # = 997753
CrxigSm1th Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
Computer fans are the opposite of your typical household fan. When looking at the fan, the "pretty side" with the blade is the intake side. The opposite side with the support structure vanes and specification sticker is the exhaust side --- or the direction air will travel.

From your pictures, it looks like the front two fans are acting as exhaust, while the top and rear are acting as intake. It probably works, but you might want to flip all of them around and see how it compares. Most cases are designed from a front/bottom intake, top/rear exhaust philosophy. It is possible to make other arrangements work, but usually with some concessions.
Ok so ive tried the paper trick, and all of the fans are sucking air in, should i move the top and back around so that the cold air can rise out of the case?

Last edited by CrxigSm1th; 03-14-2019 at 06:52 PM.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:40 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 997765
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

I can't tell what I am looking at in the first picture, but I'll now assume that is through the side glass. Is your case pressed directly against the wall? That will limit your airflow.

You probably should try flipping the top and rear around to exhaust and I don' t think there are many other usable configurations on a S340.

Tags
af120, cooling