Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2019, 07:34 PM

POST ID # = 1010876
nmd Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Kevin View Post
Hi all, please see this post if you've experienced issues with the AX860i:
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=188700
Just wondering: have you identified the exact cause and reason of these random shutdown issues, which have happened on the AX860i (and the AX760i)? Or you're still in the process of understanding it?

Considering the description of the behavior, it looks like something not so easy to troubleshoot - it's not so easy to replicate, as taking the cables off and back on seems to remove the error (at least for some time). Doesn't look like a faulty cap or bad component from what I'd understand...

So I'm quite curious, if/when the root cause has been found, what was really behind this? Maybe some weird DSP feedback behavior which, when unlucky, would go in a resonance/diverging loop?

Old 07-12-2019, 01:31 PM

POST ID # = 1010971
Zone Reputation: 10

Hi guys,
Good news and very good customer service, I am impressed with the help I have had from this forum and Corsair, Many thanks also to Technobeard for your advice. Was good to see Terry Pratchett has helped you in your outlook on life.
Below is the email I have just received from Corsair.

Jul 12, 10:13 PDT

Hello,

I am sorry for the experience you have had with the AX860i. We will be replacing your unit with an upgrade to the HX1000i (CP-9020074). We will also be providing you a prepaid label to send back your unit as well.

Before we can proceed, We will need you to provide and verify your shipping address to proceed with an RMA.

Ok update, cannot afford express replacement, corsair want me to pay for the replacement psu before they send it out. The replacement of the psu in the UK is about 200 pounds, add to that the postage , well you get the drift. Anyway will be going dark for the next week as this is the only pc I have and they want this AX860i before they send the replacement out.

Hi guys, I can now say that my problem is now sorted, I received my replacement PSU and is now in the case with no problems so far. Again many thanks to Corsair and all of the guys here on the forum for the help and customer service was brilliant and restored my faith in your Corsair products. (other than dhl rubbish) I just wish you told your dealers about the problems with the AX860i.

Last edited by Zone; 07-25-2019 at 03:21 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:03 PM
Corsair Employee
Corsair Kevin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1011518
Corsair Kevin Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmd View Post
Just wondering: have you identified the exact cause and reason of these random shutdown issues, which have happened on the AX860i (and the AX760i)? Or you're still in the process of understanding it?

Considering the description of the behavior, it looks like something not so easy to troubleshoot - it's not so easy to replicate, as taking the cables off and back on seems to remove the error (at least for some time). Doesn't look like a faulty cap or bad component from what I'd understand...

So I'm quite curious, if/when the root cause has been found, what was really behind this? Maybe some weird DSP feedback behavior which, when unlucky, would go in a resonance/diverging loop?
Hi NMD,
There are two parts to this. The base case for the issue stems from how much pressure is applied to the connections on the modular cable PCB on the PSU, whether that’s when the connectors are being plugged/unplugged or how tightly they’re being tied together for cable management. Essentially, if enough pressure is applied, it can cause the PCB to flex, which leads to the second part of the issue. In some situations, the flex can cause a surface mount ceramic capacitor (MLCC) solder joint to come undone. This means that if the PCB is not physically strained causing it to flex, the capacitor makes contact and works exactly as intended, which is the vast majority of units. But if there is excessive thermal buildup AND the capacitor is flexed off the solder joint due to physical pressure, the issue may present itself as intermittent reboots and/or shutdowns. This intermittent scenario makes it difficult to reproduce or narrow the issue down. However, because some folks are experiencing this issue with the PSU, we want to rectify it, no pun intended. This is also why there are many, many AX860i units out in the wild that work without issue.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:50 PM
oldmanjk's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1011848
oldmanjk Reputation: 10

Does this apply to the AX1200i as well? I'm having the same problem

Old 07-19-2019, 08:54 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1011849
jonnyguru jonnyguru Reputation: 179
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanjk View Post
Does this apply to the AX1200i as well? I'm having the same problem
No it does not.

What kind of problems are you having? Maybe start a new thread.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:43 AM
Hardcore Games
Vegan's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1014361
Vegan Reputation: 10

I inquired and Corsair has indicated that a new PSU will be shipped early next week to me and I should see it in hand a week later.

I have used Corsair for quite some time, I have generally been happy but sadly a dud does pop up one in a while. At least Corsair has excellent customer service.

Corsair SPEC-01 chassis with the Corsair HX1000i PSU

Hardcore Games - Legendary of the Only Way to Play

I have been a vegan since 1969. I have experienced more prejudice than anyone could possibly ever imagine.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:33 PM
Corsair Employee
Corsair Kevin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1014477
Corsair Kevin Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
I inquired and Corsair has indicated that a new PSU will be shipped early next week to me and I should see it in hand a week later.

I have used Corsair for quite some time, I have generally been happy but sadly a dud does pop up one in a while. At least Corsair has excellent customer service.
We're happy to help! Glad to hear you're being taken care of!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:57 PM
Hardcore Games
Vegan's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1014660

as expected an HX1000i but it is not being recognized by iCue or Link

the existing link cable did not work but there was a USB cable in the bundle that allowed the PSU to be monitored

now with 1000W the level of overkill is even worse as power consumption falls

I have been a vegan since 1969. I have experienced more prejudice than anyone could possibly ever imagine.

Last edited by Vegan; 08-14-2019 at 09:02 PM.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:28 PM
Hardcore Games
Vegan's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1014759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Kevin View Post
Hi NMD,
There are two parts to this. The base case for the issue stems from how much pressure is applied to the connections on the modular cable PCB on the PSU, whether that’s when the connectors are being plugged/unplugged or how tightly they’re being tied together for cable management. Essentially, if enough pressure is applied, it can cause the PCB to flex, which leads to the second part of the issue. In some situations, the flex can cause a surface mount ceramic capacitor (MLCC) solder joint to come undone. This means that if the PCB is not physically strained causing it to flex, the capacitor makes contact and works exactly as intended, which is the vast majority of units. But if there is excessive thermal buildup AND the capacitor is flexed off the solder joint due to physical pressure, the issue may present itself as intermittent reboots and/or shutdowns. This intermittent scenario makes it difficult to reproduce or narrow the issue down. However, because some folks are experiencing this issue with the PSU, we want to rectify it, no pun intended. This is also why there are many, many AX860i units out in the wild that work without issue.
I wonder if the small case length was in part responsible for the screw damage in addition to the strength of the cable assemble board.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:45 PM

POST ID # = 1015752
h.lecter Reputation: 10

Just to add my little stone.
I had 2 860i units replaced by Corsair since they had the (shut)down syndrome.

of these two replaced units,
One sits in a X79 system now (with an SLI) that draws about 650w and it is the happy part of my story : all works well.

The other one sat on a shelf for a while and I recently installed it in an all new system (Z370) and it has given me a shut down out of nowhere already.
That is about 1 week after first use.
The system is not overheating at all, cpu, gpu and VRMS are at about 50% of their tmax under full load. MAX!

I was watching youtube (not a big deal for a 8600k and a gtx980ti) and Poof, it shut down.
I tried to push the power button but nothing worked.
I had to shut down the psu (rear on/off), wait about 15secs and then power it up again for the system to power back up.

I will probably send this unit back again.
My question is : is the problem now solved with this black/white 860i's?

I have to say the Corsair service is excellent, but I'm tired missing my top notch psus, shipping them and paying for it :)
Regards,
H.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:03 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1015753
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.lecter View Post
My question is : is the problem now solved with this black/white 860i's?
Hi.

What is "black/white 860i's"?

Old 08-26-2019, 02:12 PM

POST ID # = 1015754

Hi,
mine are red and black.
I think I saw that now the range is all black and white, like all other ranges.
previously, HX was blue, AX red, CX green, etc.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:15 PM

POST ID # = 1015755

By the way, Hi Jonny, it is an honnor :D

Old 08-26-2019, 02:19 PM

POST ID # = 1015756

Ok mY bad, there is no such thing as a black and white AX860i.
I suppose voids my question.
Should I accept a RM850i as a replacement?

Old 08-26-2019, 02:27 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1015757

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.lecter View Post
Hi,
mine are red and black.
I think I saw that now the range is all black and white, like all other ranges.
previously, HX was blue, AX red, CX green, etc.
Ah.. I See...

The AXi didn't get a "refresh" like the other lines. There's only the "red and black". If you saw a "black and white" AX, it was a "non i".

Tags
ax860i, restarting