The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 11:49 PM
jnewegger23's PC Specs

POST ID # = 667823
jnewegger23 Reputation: 10

@matthalo

This is exactly why I started this thread, so we can help each other figure out what works and what doesn't by sharing what we observe under what conditions. I agree, your temps are bit too high for a pretty modest OC of 4.2. Any other details you feel that might help? What are your voltages you are getting? Using cpuz and realtemp? Whatever else you can share, more is better!

Old 08-01-2013, 05:10 AM
Ripshod's PC Specs

POST ID # = 667832
Ripshod Reputation: 16
Send a message via Skype™ to Ripshod

Just to upset those who think they get good temps.

AMD 1090T @ 3.8GHz @ 1.375V core. This was at 22C ambient, push/pull into the rear of my Antec 902 case and out the top case fan., after 30mins folding. Fans where locked as low as I could get them for this one. Good candidate for a HTPC

Last edited by Ripshod; 08-01-2013 at 05:17 AM.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:01 PM
jnewegger23's PC Specs

POST ID # = 667901

@Ripshod

Looks like you must have a nice smooth silent setup! Very cool temps! Nice! Any pointers you'd like to share with matthalo; he seems to be having difficulty.

Thx,

J

Old 08-02-2013, 03:43 AM
Ripshod's PC Specs

POST ID # = 668043

Good contact is essential. For this 2nd refit I used AS2. If you have a top fan in your case then having the rad at the rear pulling air in is the way to go.
Be vigilant, it doesn't take long for these rads to fill with fluff. A good idea to fit a magnetic filter on the outside of the case.
Allow at least 9 inches of space behind your system for the fresh air to get in, more if you have a hot GFX card blowing out the back.
83C is high, even for an intel.
Points to look at.
Running push/pull rather than just one fan will only gain a couple of degrees.
Could try using a dremel to remove all the metal in the rad area, can get good gains there.
Make sure cpu fan control is disabled via the bios, these coolers don't like low voltages and can burn out. Symptoms of this are low pump speed and poor fan regulation. THIS IS A MUST.

BIG POINT:
@matthallo (specifically). The diferrence between your CPU and H80i temps is HUGE m8. Defo refit the cooler, making sure there is good pressure between the cooler and your CPU. Maybe add washers to the backplate to increase the pressure (mentioned elsewhere on these forums). Use a good quality TIM (I recommend MX-2 or MX-4, in that order). Download and run coretemp, just to make sure you're getting an accurate core temp reading.

These things are fantastic - but only if you get it right.

Last edited by Ripshod; 08-03-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:34 PM
matthallo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 668134
matthallo Reputation: 10

Okay so I went ahead and remounted my cooler using MX-4 paste, and I also installed rubber washers on the backplate. My temps have dropped significantly. I'm getting 67 Degrees max on my hottest core (Averages around 65). I think I'm happy with these numbers, certainly an improvement over my first install.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:59 PM
solofly's PC Specs

POST ID # = 668160
solofly Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthallo View Post
I also installed rubber washers on the backplate.
You gotta picture of that by any chance? When I removed the block a week ago I noticed one of the corners wasn't making full contact with the CPU, the original thermal paste was untouched. I might have to do something like what you just did...

Old 08-02-2013, 05:05 PM
matthallo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 668169
matthallo Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofly View Post
You gotta picture of that by any chance? When I removed the block a week ago I noticed one of the corners wasn't making full contact with the CPU, the original thermal paste was untouched. I might have to do something like what you just did...
Photos attached.

I don't remember the exact size of the washers, and I already tossed the packaging, but they were Hillman brand, picked them up at the hardware store. I had the exact same issue when I took the cooler off - half the stock paste wasn't touched. Must be a bit tricky to get it right the first time, but I'm pleased with my results now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (130.4 KB, 612 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (100.2 KB, 489 views)

Old 08-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Ripshod's PC Specs

POST ID # = 668248

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthallo View Post
My temps have dropped significantly. I'm getting 67 Degrees max on my hottest core (Averages around 65). I think I'm happy with these numbers, certainly an improvement over my first install.
That's good news m8 (good temps for a mild O/C on intel too). The temps will probably improve by a couple of degrees over the next couple of weeks as things settle.

Welcome to the club!!

Last edited by Ripshod; 08-03-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:41 AM
jnewegger23's PC Specs

POST ID # = 684495

Bump. Would be nice to see more people contributing to this now dead thread. I haven't checked myself in a while either.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:21 PM
Astrix_au
iiron_eagle's PC Specs

POST ID # = 712550
iiron_eagle Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnewegger23 View Post
Right on. What's your airflow configuration? (see my attached pic as a reference) I assume rear exhaust for your h80i w push pull? That's what I had before but I'm trying the rear as intake now as I've read that it may help and it made sense in theory. I'll keep a close eye... (I bought a $3 filter btw to decrease dust).
I too might change mine. I feel the air get warm after my GPU's warm up it picks up the heat from them (2 twin frozr cards). If I run a stress test on the CPU the air blowing out doesn't get warm at all. I'll share some temps soon.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:20 AM
Astrix_au
iiron_eagle's PC Specs

POST ID # = 712600

4770k @ 4.2GHz - CPU 42x 1.17500v Cache 42x 1.15000v + XMP

Idle: 30 celcious
100% Load: 54 degrees (3 min prime 95 test)

back story...

Okay I just installed my brand new H80i my original H80i must have been faulty.

Three days ago I delided my 4770k and used GC-Extreme. I also used it on my old H80i but the temps were still bad the motor was running hot (something really wrong) hence I purchased a new H80i.

I decided to first try the thermal paste that came with my new H80i as my CPU has few day old Gelis GC-extreme on it and temps are still creeping down.

The minute I turned it on I knew for sure my old H80i was faulty.

This thing runs so quite compared to the old one. When I turned on performance mode previously it would go to 2500rpm instanly (loud as hell).

Now it doesn't go over 1600rpm in performance mode as the pump and CPU is so much cooler.

my new temps are way way lower at least 25 degrees.

Previously a prime 95 test would instantly go to 80 then 90+ now after 3 min it only when up to 54 degrees om#g! This is on my highest stable overclock at 4.2GHz and 1.175v any higher used to crash but I guess I should try again now I have a working H80i.

I am so glad I did this.

Last edited by iiron_eagle; 05-28-2014 at 06:22 AM.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:25 AM
jnewegger23's PC Specs

POST ID # = 712738

Very nice job getting your h80i situation on track. Delidded too! Very nice numbers! Congrats!
Justin S http://pcpartpicker.com/b/4Wr7YJi7 3770K 4.4GHz H80i P8Z77-V LE Plus 600t 840 Pro 128GB SSD HGST 4TB 7.2k rpm 64mb cache HDD 6gb/s Toshiba 2TB 7.2k rpm 64mb cache HDD 6gb/s AX1200 http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=33932

Old 05-29-2014, 03:27 AM
Astrix_au
iiron_eagle's PC Specs

POST ID # = 712749

Quote:
Very nice job getting your h80i situation on track. Delidded too! Very nice numbers! Congrats!
Thanks Mate!

Decided to push harder lol.

4770k 4.4Ghz CPU 44x v @ 1.275 cache 44x v1.275
after 15 min stress test using ASUS PC Diognostics max temp 57 on the hottest core!

That's a big voltage increase but almost with no extra heat :)

This was taken with a better camera bfore I finished my cable management.

This was taken on my phone after I finished the cable management, though not my new H80i, my cable management is even better today :)

Last edited by iiron_eagle; 05-29-2014 at 03:44 AM.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:13 PM
Astrix_au
iiron_eagle's PC Specs

POST ID # = 712918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryman View Post
i have it where the H80i pulls air from the outside into the case that way it keeps the cpu as cool as possible
I used to have it that way but the side of the case got really hot from my GPU's I think they were my R9 280x's I now have a pair of R9 290X's which get even hotter but don't have heat pipes sticking out the side.

If I stress test the PCU the exaust stays cool, it only gets warm when my GPU are loading like gaming. Luckily my temps don't go much if any higher with the warm air from the GPU's it was sitting on 55 degrees after a few hours of gaming on 4.2GHz. Next I'll try 4.4Ghz that's what my system has been on for the last day or so with no increase in temps :)

BTW I used 3 thin metal washers on every screw on the back of the H80i backplate (I can post pics later). I used the original thermal paste as it's spread perfectly so I recommend trying that first. I have GC-Extreme. I very carefully lined it up and pressed down then proceeded to tighten all the while making sure it never moved an millimetre damaging the thermal layer. If it gets moved around it will possibly tear or spread unevenly and create air bubbles. Their thermal paste does do a good job although I did delided my CPU and sadly when I did my old H80i wasn't working right so I can't say for sure how much I gained.

Last edited by iiron_eagle; 05-29-2014 at 08:42 PM.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:33 PM
Astrix_au
iiron_eagle's PC Specs

POST ID # = 712922

Quote:
UPDATE:

I'm still trying to pin point why but I'm not complaining but I have achieved what I consider reasonable temps to go back to overclocking! Here's what happened:

1. I reconfigured the h80i so that it intakes cool air rather than exhasting hot from the case.

2. I updated my BIOS and it seems to be holding the voltages lower (tighter?) by default resulting in MUCH cooler temps.

I may be mixing event number 2 with coincidental observation but it is an observation. I've attached a pic of the cpuz read on this with my realtemp temperatures. As you can see I am stable at 54-57C while under approximately 80% load. I also tested this against prime95 running small FFTs via the sensor test in realtemp and she will not break past 60C! I am sooo elated about this as I was hitting 80-90C before running at stock speed! I noticed the voltages where ranging between 1.0-1.4 before and now they range between .8-1.2. I didn't think it would make THAT much of a difference but it is!

Summary with current configuration (updated BIOS and h80i as intake):

Ambient Temp: 23.3C
Idle Temps: 22-29 Depending on Core
Max Load Temps: 54-57 Depending on Core (Video Conversion 70-80% Load for ~1hr)
Max Load Temps: 57-60 Depending on Core (Prime95 Sensortest from RealTemp running small FFTs)
Nice one mate! If you going to overclock they are going to get hotter, I was running at 1.12 for a while on my old H80i to keep temps down but it ended up being unstable I was getting red screens a sign of low voltages.

I ended up turning things back up and getting more heat which got me to where I purchased GC-Extreme thermal compound and delided my CPU. Even after putting GC on the H80i it didn't help (possibly broken H80i).

I did notice that out of my two radiators they looked nothing alike. My original H80i rad was very tough to see through all the fins weren't lined up, my new one had larger wholes as the fines lines up. I don't know if that helped of my old one was beyond repair but I'm glad I purchased a new one.

It seems the thermal paste pre-applied works great no reason to take it off a new one. I guess i would only know for sure If I removed it and tried with GC-Extreme but that won't happen on my temps any time soon.

Last edited by iiron_eagle; 05-29-2014 at 08:36 PM.

Tags
configuration, h80i, setup, temperatures, temps