Corsair Community

Connect Radiator Fans to H150i Pro or Commander Pro?

System_Engineer

Hello,

I am new to the Corsair products and have purchased:

- Obsidian 500D RGB SE case (Has Commander Pro).

- H150i PRO RGB Cooler.

- 3 LL120 RGB 120mm Fans.

So there are 6 fans total (3 intake on radiator and 3 exhaust).

I am wondering if I am better off connecting the 3 radiator fans to the H150i Pro RGB connectors or should I connect all 6 fans to the Commander Pro? Pro's or Con's?

It also sounds like the "Link" software is no longer recommended and I should use the iCue software...Is this correct?

Thanks

You should use iCUE, that is correct. Link is End-of-Life.

You should connect 3 of the fans to the cooler's controller. The other 3 can go on the CoPro. You can't put all 6 on the cooler as you may go over the current rating (see the Liquid Cooling FAQ for details). You can put all 6 on the CoPro - but having at least 3 of them on the cooler itself works, IMHO, as a good fail-safe for control of the fans. For the 3 that are on the Commander Pro, you have some options as well. First, you can use the cooler temperature as the control source for the fan curve. This will, however, only run when iCUE is running - when iCUE isn't running, they'll be at full speed. Or you can put one of the CoPro's thermistors in the exhaust flow of the radiator. This will be within 1C of the coolant temperature and serves as an excellent proxy for the coolant temperature. Of course, you can do this same setup if you have all six on the CoPro as well.

If you are tempted to use splitters on the CoPro, don't do more than a 2-way splitter.

Understood...

- If I hook all 6 fans up to the Commander Pro, will all 6 of the fans be on full speed if I don't have iCue running all the time?

- If I connect the 3 radiator fans to the H150i Pro, can they still be addressed individually or do they act as a single "block of fans"? (I guess this question goes for both fan speed and RGB custom lighting controls).

Also, if I connect the 3 radiator fans to the H150i Pro, do I then need to use connectors 1,2, and 3 for the remaining fans or can they be in 4,5, and 6 on the Commander Pro?

Thanks

- If I hook all 6 fans up to the Commander Pro, will all 6 of the fans be on full speed if I don't have iCue running all the time?

It depends on the control source for the fan. The Commander Pro natively can detect it's own temp sensor probes at all time, software or no. But in order to use temperature sources from other components (for example your GPU), the device has to give the motherboard the info, which then in turn passes it on the Commander Pro. You need the software active for communication. In my experience, unreadable values without the software running (like GPU temp) will cause a fan blast. You can use the default presets that run from CPU temp to mitigate this slightly, but not ideal. Use the temp probes. Those work all the time and are useful.

- If I connect the 3 radiator fans to the H150i Pro, can they still be addressed individually or do they act as a single "block of fans"? (I guess this question goes for both fan speed and RGB custom lighting controls).

On the H150i they are all have their own fan channel 1,2,&3 so you could, although there is no reason to ever do so on a U style radiator.

Also, if I connect the 3 radiator fans to the H150i Pro, do I then need to use connectors 1,2, and 3 for the remaining fans or can they be in 4,5, and 6 on the Commander Pro?

The fans on the H150i will not require any connection to the Commander Pro. iCUE will be able to control their speed from the H150i's internal fan controller. You will have all 6 at your disposal. Regardless, unlike the RGB Lighting hubs, the fan header selection is irrelevant and you can use any combination of header positions and number.