Corsair Community

H150i Pro RGB Loud Noise and High Temps

JayeConcord

I have my i7-7700k overclocked to 4.8GHz, so I was expecting a bit more heat from the CPU, but I'm averaging 40 degrees whilst only iCue is open, nothing else. Also there is a loud rattling noise which is constantly present, less noticeable on Quiet, but on Balanced and Performance, you can hear it very distinctly, even above my fans at 100% speed. I've tried shaking the radiator in case of air bubbles, re-applying the thermal paste (Arctic MX-4 2019 Edition), remounting the block onto the CPU, and even making sure that the bracket was firmly tight against my motherboard on both sides at the end of installation. Any suggestions? Or should I get a new one?

Here is a video showcasing the issue:

[ame=

]
[/ame] Edited by JayeConcord

Hi JayeConcord,

Sorry about the noise that is causing. Where do you have the radiator mounted in the case?

I ask because sometimes bubbles can be caught in the pump and make that noise. If it's in the front I would rotate the case where the radiator is above the pump. Running the pump this way should push the bubbles into the radiator. Then it should fix the rattling and possibly the temps some. After it works its way our you should be able to set it back normally.

Hope that helps!

Try switching pump speeds for 10 seconds each and repeat, it might clear up the air bubbles inside.

You can also take the radiator out and rotate it a couple of times trying to get the bubbles out (or carefully rotate your case around if it isn't to heavy...but be careful with mechanical HDDs and such inside, you could damage them when moving things around!).

I've tried both of those, and unfortunately it hasn't worked. There is a mark on the copper which when I first bought the cooler, I thought it was some of the cardboard from inside of the box. It's still there, and I think that it might be causing contact issues, which would be the reason behind the high temps. I don't think it's causing the noise though. I think that I may have to buy another at the end of the month when I get my next paycheck. On the plus side, I did buy the triple pack of Corsair's LL120 RGB fans that come with the Lighting Node Pro, as well as the Commander Node Pro, and I absolutely love the fans. I was planning get another 5 LL120's and 1 LL140 to complete my case. Going for a Corsair and MSI Build :)

While it does sound a bit like bubbles, it should not ratchet up with more a more "clankety-clank" kind of sound when you increase pump speed. Bubbles are usually more like static pops. If you hear a mechanical tinge to this (which I think I do), then it is probably mechanical.

Your idle CPU temps appear to be riding about +14-15C over the coolant temp. That's a lot if the PC is really at idle. Use the task manager to check. Another clear sign of a contact issue is load temps, even with moderate sources like games, will be untenable. CPU temps will jump from low to extreme far too easily. 40C on the desktop, 70C spike when opening a browser, iTunes, or other applications.

However, rather than troubleshoot the contact issue (if that's it), I think you need to return the cooler. Something isn't right with the pump. I don't like that sound and am not convinced it is air bubbles that will go away. Don't try and live with a terrible pump. It always ends in regret. We have not seen much of this at all on the Pro coolers, so there is no reason to expect the replacement will be anything like this.

While it does sound a bit like bubbles, it should not ratchet up with more a more "clankety-clank" kind of sound when you increase pump speed. Bubbles are usually more like static pops. If you hear a mechanical tinge to this (which I think I do), then it is probably mechanical.

Your idle CPU temps appear to be riding about +14-15C over the coolant temp. That's a lot if the PC is really at idle. Use the task manager to check. Another clear sign of a contact issue is load temps, even with moderate sources like games, will be untenable. CPU temps will jump from low to extreme far too easily. 40C on the desktop, 70C spike when opening a browser, iTunes, or other applications.

However, rather than troubleshoot the contact issue (if that's it), I think you need to return the cooler. Something isn't right with the pump. I don't like that sound and am not convinced it is air bubbles that will go away. Don't try and live with a terrible pump. It always ends in regret. We have not seen much of this at all on the Pro coolers, so there is no reason to expect the replacement will be anything like this.

I believe there may be a contact issue, I had task manager open before I made the video, and apparently my CPU usage was from 1%-4%. As I said in a previous post, when I first got the cooler, I thought some of the cardboard from inside the box was on the copper, but it turned out to be a mark. Not sure if that would affect the noise however. I would have sent it back, only I have no other CPU cooler at the moment. I get paid at the end of the month, so I may purchase another, and send the old one back when the new one arrives.

The "mark" would have be directly over the CPU and be of sufficient material to affect conductivity. Probably not. However, the pump problem is a bit more distressing. If you contact Corsair Tech Support through the ticket system and RMA the cooler through them, you should be able to do the Advance RMA option where they ship you a new one on credit card hold, you swap and send the old back, they cancel the hold. You have to ask for this and make sure you explicitly state this is a brand new cooler.