Corsair Community

HG10 N980 & N970 Thread - Post Issues Here

TheDudeLasse

Cheers for the reply, ill just return the hg10 and forget water cooling on this card, i suppose i can use the 80i gt on the cpu and replace my few year old 80i , as it does get a tad noisy on high rpm.

thanks again

just seen this post, , wonder if it works as advertised?

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=831123

While this modification of the bracket was done well, we don't recommend it. It will void your HG10's warranty and if not done correctly, may cause you some issues. Please do so at your own risk and we are not liable for any damages that may occur before, during, or after the installation of the modded bracket.

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for the reply, ill just return the hg10 and forget water cooling on this card, i suppose i can use the 80i gt on the cpu and replace my few year old 80i , as it does get a tad noisy on high rpm.

thanks again

just seen this post, , wonder if it works as advertised?

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=831123

I ended up with a Kraken G12 which works with the H80i-GT and my EVGA 980ti SC, I used a thick copper shim , as I didn't want to remove the Backplate from the 980ti.

It is working well the Card is now 20-25degC cooler and runs about the same underload as it did at idle before ....

This is my card , this review has good pics ....though i think i saw a list of actual cards for the G12 somewhere....

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_980_Ti_SC_Plus/

• 1 year later...

Firstly, let me apologize for resurrecting a thread from the dead. But shockingly as far as advice goes for utilizing the HG10 N980 (N970 too probably) this thread has been the most helpful place I could find.

I am in IT and have built many PC's. I am in no means a professional Boutique PC builder and I largely used the HG10 because I didn't want the hassle of a full blocked water cooling system.

With this in mind I decided to create an account to post here and pull together the tips I found most helpful in my install, please note few (if any) of these suggestions are mine alone:

Products:

Asus Titan X - Maxwell

Corsair H100i

Corsair HG10 N980

Results:

Before Install:

83c (software limit on video card for protection) @ 100% GPU usage.

After Install:

42-44c @ 100% GPU usage before heatsoak.

46-49c @ 100% GPU usage after heatsoak.

Note: Highly recommend you watch the video by Matt Dickens at the end of this post, it is almost an hour long but it is a very accurate representation of the process for utilizing the HG10 and will give you an idea of what things should look like. His post with this video is on page 61. I only re-share because his video was extremely helpful to this installation and I consider it important enough to share even on page 62.

Suggestions:

1. Removing the Stock Reference cooler can be difficult, make sure that all screws holding the heat sink to the Video card are removed, including the I/O shield on the back of the video card. It may remove easily, or it may require some very minor elbow grease. Don't forget the 3pin fan connection to the Video Card.

1a. Replace the I/O shield when finished.

2. Remove the Thermal Double Sided tape from the GPU and replace with the Thermal Double Sided Tape on the HG10, as in remove the tape from the HG10 and put it directly on the board before installing the HG10 itself. I strongly recommend that you do this one at a time to make sure you don't get lost, note that NVIDIA used many small pieces of tape where Corsair uses longer strips. I found that the Thermal Tape provided is longer/larger then the areas it covers. So it shouldn't be difficult to have it cover the needed areas.

3. When attaching the HG10 to the Video card, use only light pressure. Finger tight plus 1 or 1.5 rotations with the screwdriver if appropriate. I cannot stress enough that this step varies on peoples hand/finger strength. What I can say fairly confidentially is that it does NOT need to be super tight. That has been reiterated over and over again. Also note to plug in the fan that comes with the HG10, the cord might try to wedge itself where it doesn't belong. Use a small screwdriver to redirect it to the "empty space" if this happens. Don't tighten one side of the card and then the other, use diagonal patterns when tightening screws.

4. Use Isopropyl alcohol to clean the Thermal paste off the GPU, only clean the Corsair AIO Cooler if reusing a used one or if you do not intend to use the stock Paste from Corsair.

5. Stage the Video card and radiator in your case, you do not need to actually install them, but it is critical that you determine which PCI-E slot you will be using, and the least stress to the card that can be achieved. In a normal case the GPU chip will be facing downward, determine which direction the pump needs to be installed onto the GPU chip to insure the least amount of stress on the tubes and thus your card as possible. Do this before you install the pump to the GPU

6. Install the Pump to the GPU, again finger tight only plus maybe 1 to 1.5 rotations with a screwdriver. It is imperative that the pressure applied to each corner be equal. If you must risk "loose" versus "Tight" always aim for loose. The Pump should not slide on the GPU, but that is as tight as it should ever be.

7. Purchase a Video Card/GPU Support Brace. Anything to get weight off the PCI-E slot is recommended. The following is what I used but is by no means the only option, only an example. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077LGLN4G

8. When installing the GPU keep a grip on the radiator. When maneuvering the Video Card and the Radiator they should always be roughly in the same position as they will be in the Case.

9. The GPU Fan will not spin on effectively due to the lower temps, utilize GPU tweak II or afterburner (or similar program) to custom build a fan curve on the new temps. For example I have mine to go at 100% at around 50C. While gaming my GPU fan is anywhere between 60-80%. This is important as the GPU fan cools the board itself, VRAM, etc.

I strongly recommend a form of stress test or benchmark (with GPU temp etc.) be run before and after this install, so improvements or problems can be clearly diagnosed.

It took me approximately 2-3 Hours to do this modification, as I double checked everything I was working on.

I have only installed 1 of these HG10's, and found the lack of information on them frustrating, not to mention the hilariously modest installation guide that came with it. That said I did find this thread quite helpful.

The product so far is working quite well for me. Please note that none of this is professional advice and is only intended as an aid, there is an unspoken assumption that anyone utilizing this product understands basic PC building processes. Everyone must use their own judgement and care, in particular when it comes to Video Card modifications.

Thank you and Good Luck!

My Build:

Air540Build_zpszasjmywe.jpg

[ame=

]
[/ame] Edited by davidcarlsentwi
Fixed Link, Editing, Modified Language, Added Photo.

• 1 year later...

Hi there so I recently got the Corsair HG10 n980 bracket for my reference evga 980 ti.

I also purchased a corsair h100i v2 for it.

Bracket went on no problem, cooler seemed to of needed the spacers but seemed slightly lose when installed. I have the radiator in a push pull configuration and I have both the pump and fans on a fan controller at the moment.

I fired up my PC and the idle temps seem high, at the desktop it's 70°c and both fans and pump are 100% it would cool down eventually to low 60's l. As soon as I go into gpu tweak and run a 1080p benchmark my temp automatically shoots to 90°c and my gpu thermally throttles, instantly.

I'm going to try turning my PC on it's side and see if there is air trapped in there, and if that doesn't work I have a h60 cooler im going to try.

Thanks for any help! Much appreciated, I'll post my updates.

***Update****

So I got home, tilted my PC on it's side and turned it on, I heard a rush of air from the GPU cooler (h100i v2), and my temps were much better! Idle at like 25°c and max load was 63°c. It was air trapped in the pump not allowing it to exchange heat.

Now my next project, build a new horizontal mounted PC case! I'll post what I come up with, I think you guys will like it!

Edited by BadBoyBasil