Corsair Community

MP510(960GB) Slow/inconsistent Write Speeds

I have reviewed the posts regarding the MP600 write speed issues and I seem to be experiencing the exact same issue on my M2 Mp510.

When I first got the drive, I consistently got the same speeds as per the specifications of the drive. I still have the same Win10 install which is around 1 year old.

Spec:

i7-8700k @ Stock

16GB (2x8gb) Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz

Gigabyte Z390M Gaming

Corsair MP510 960GB (362GB Free / 40c under load)

Things done/checked:

TRIM Enabled (also ran Optimize-Volume on the drive)

Updated Motherboard drivers

Updated MP510 firmware via Toolbox

Updated Motherboard BIOS to latest

Left computer off so that the drive cooled down, then tried ATTO again when drive was cooler

I'm stumped now and it looks identical to the issues the MP600 users are having. Any ideas?

CorsairMP510_Speeds.png.0233f299074756b41b34f63187dd1288.png

• 3 months later...

same to me. After 1 year of use (378GB free of 893 - according to Windows)

the write speed lowered from

CrystalDiskMark 6.0.2 x64 © 2007-2018 hiyohiyo

Crystal Dew World : https://crystalmark.info/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [sATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]

* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 3477.834 MB/s

Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 3052.718 MB/s

to

CrystalDiskMark 6.0.2 x64 © 2007-2018 hiyohiyo

Crystal Dew World : https://crystalmark.info/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [sATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]

* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 3478.597 MB/s

Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 1056.376 MB/s

This is reproducable with other tools. Is this an RMA issue?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Master X570

CPU: Ryzen 3900x

Edited by JohnWayne78

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

Some solutions that have worked for others:

If you're on AMD Ryzen, check your power plan settings and turn off PCI-Express Link State Power Management

Uninstall/reinstall the device driver for your SSD using device manager (assuming that you're not using the SSD as your OS drive which would require a fresh install of Windows to work around).

Additional info that may be useful: SSD performance does degrade as the drive gets more full, here's an article that explains the topic a bit more: https://www.anandtech.com/show/6489/playing-with-op (note that this article is from 2012 and they test SATA SSDs, NVMe SSDs may show a more noticeable dip in performance earlier as they aren't bottle-necked by the SATA interface).

I suggest reaching out to our technical support team at https://help.corsair.com for further assistance.

Update: I've also reached out to our SSD team to see if they have any additional information that can be of help.

Edited by Corsair CJ

• 3 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
Looks like there are multiple threads going regarding this.

I get that drive performance decreases as it fills up, but keeping a drive half full just to keep it up to near advertised speeds is not a good thing.

I understand your concern. I've forwarded everything I've seen so far to our product team to evaluate.

• Corsair Employee

For anybody experiencing this still. Could you post results before and after disabling fast startup within Windows? Please let me know your results in the responses.

To disable fast startup within Windows, do the following:

attachment.php?attachmentid=39262&stc=1&d=1602522174

attachment.php?attachmentid=39263&stc=1&d=1602522179

attachment.php?attachmentid=39264&stc=1&d=1602522183

attachment.php?attachmentid=39265&stc=1&d=1602522190

attachment.php?attachmentid=39266&stc=1&d=1602522194

attachment.php?attachmentid=39267&stc=1&d=1602522213

• 3 weeks later...
For anybody experiencing this still. Could you post results before and after disabling fast startup within Windows? Please let me know your results in the responses.

To disable fast startup within Windows, do the following:

[/img]

Hi I've joined the forum just for this issue as I'm having the same slow write speed issue. As you have asked in your last post I've tried to test the speed with fast startup option disabled. The results are still the same. My drive is 10 months old now and it is the MP510 960GB. Write speed is always around 1000 MB/s and read speed 3400 MB/s. If you need I will post screenshots.

please note this important note, I'm using CrystalDiskMark 6 to do the tests BUT the speed test is different from version to another! or from other application like (AS SSD Benchmark)!. For example, when I use the latest CrystalDiskMark 7 version the results is always around 2000MB/s Read and 1000MB/s Write which is different. and when testing using (AS SSD Benchmark) app the results is around 1800MB/s Read and 2300MB/s Write AND that is not the case when I test my other NVMe Intel drive which always give me correct speed test with all the programs and versions even though there is only 26GB empty from the drive from the total size 1TB.

Next thing I will try is a clean format as the OS is installed on it and can't delete its driver.

Another one here y'all. My experience is pretty much a crtl-c/ctrl-v of ewarwoowar's.

Fast-start-on-AV-off.jpg

Drive is actively cooled - peak temperature during the diskmark was 45 celsius during the read tests. Maxed at 43 during writing so shouldn't be any throttling going on.

Also @Corsair CJ, I tried it with Fast Start disabled - and repeated after a cold power cycle just to make sure the system had legitimately "non-fast started". No significant improvements:

Fast-start-off-AV-off.jpg

Also tried it with all the PCIe link power management/ASPM/etc disabled - no significant difference either.

Even when this drive was first set up it was over 60% full but was still writing over 2000MB/sec from what I remember. I don't think I benchmarked it after the firmware update so not sure whether it was that which dropped the performance. I could try pulling some data off to retest it if someone thinks that will be of value, but given the similarity to other users' performance, it looks like we're all seeing a similar issue.

System is as per my profile, Win10 20H2, drive firmware is ECFM12.3. Any more info needed, don't be afraid to holler. :)

Edited by Citizen Crazed

• 4 weeks later...

I have a similar problem with my MP510 960GB.

When the disk is over 50% full the write performance decreases. I would like to know what to do in this situation? Send this disk to RMA?

Below you will find screenshots of the crystaldiskmark with different degrees of filling up the same disk.

Zrzut-ekranu-2020-11-30-124901.png

Buenas.

TEngo el mismo problema que todos.

Cuando compre el disco lo tenia instalado en un intel nucc5i3ryh con un pci 2.0 x4.

Tenia unos valores de 1500 mg de escritura y lectura aprox, muy buenos para lo que tenia. Posteriormente la velocidad de escritura bajó a unos 500/600 MB.

Ahora me he comprado un nuc8i3rhy con pci 3.0 x4 y la velocidad de lectura es de 3280 y escritura 626. Me ha desilusionado bastante ya que había confiado mucho en esta marca y veo que no hay una solución efectiva.

El uso de mi disco es meramente para tener el sistema y las apps de ofimática y poco mas, por lo que no lo tengo muy lleno. Las descargas las hago en un disco mecánico para no castigar este.

Subo tres fotos. Una cuando me compre la unidad(no había ningún problema), la segunda a los pocos meses(ya aparece bajada de rendimiento) y la tercera con el nuevo NUC8i3BEH(subida de tasa de lectura por el pci 3.0 pero la escritura igual)

1215697712_-CORSAIRCRISTALDISKMARK-06-07-19.thumb.jpg.c408269eecc30ea62fe9ba4be8945032.jpg

2020-05-17.thumb.png.9c788b06e747dce2a99964a3fb9a84b4.png

823911897_2020-12-06(1).thumb.png.f07b3bd30a81c470206e34edceba6f5a.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello !

Exact same issue and it's very disappointing...

At first the write speeds were great, but after a year of usage they are in free fall.

Here is a test with Crystal Disk Mark the 23rd dec., the firmware is the 22.5 :

CDM-2312.jpg

And the last one today with the firmware 22.7 :

CDM-2912.jpg

My Mp510 is slower than my SSD Samsung 860 QVO and it's absolutely inexplicable because it's only filled at 44%.

Would you have any explanations / solutions ?

Edited by Lago34
Link

hey found this thread as I have the same issue on a 480gb MP510,

CrystalDiskMark-8-MP510.png.6bd0117b67fd0f0730d8b5f4e2861975.png

I've tried the suggestions from the corsair rep in the thread and this speed test is after,

- disabling 'PCI-Express Link State Power Management'

- disabling fast startup in Windows

- rebooting after making the above changes

MP510 480gb

- 59% full

- Read speeds 3.4 GB/s

- Write speeds ~550 MB/s (Expected ~2GB/s)

- Firmware version ECFM22.7 (updated after encountering issue, updated via Corsair SSD Toolbox)

- Installed in top m.2 slot on motherboard direct to CPU

Other system information

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

MB: MSI x470 Gaming Plus Max, bios version H.60 AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.6

RAM: 2 x 16gb 3200mhz CL18

I've been reading this thread in hopes of finding a solution, but I came up with it myself and it is pretty simple, yet it's not very convenient. All you have to do is perform a Secure Wipe through Corsair's SSD Toolbox.

I said that it's not convenient and for obvious reasons. If you have a lot of data and a system on this single drive (it doesn't matter whether it's 480GB, 960GB or 1920GB) to keep all of if you have to clone the entire disk onto another one. Luckily, I've had a spare HDD lying around and used Macrium Reflect to clone my 480GB MP510.

Once you've cloned it, perform a boot from the cloned drive, then Secure Wipe your Corsair drive and then clone the cloned drives back onto the Corsair drive. The write speeds should go back to normal, but god knows for how long.

I personally can't tell when the issue appeared, but I've already performed two Windows installs since I have it and every time I only used Quick Format. Looks like if you're reinstalling your system it's a good idea to perform a Secure Wipe each time.

I've been reading this thread in hopes of finding a solution, but I came up with it myself and it is pretty simple, yet it's not very convenient. All you have to do is perform a Secure Wipe through Corsair's SSD Toolbox.

I said that it's not convenient and for obvious reasons. If you have a lot of data and a system on this single drive (it doesn't matter whether it's 480GB, 960GB or 1920GB) to keep all of if you have to clone the entire disk onto another one. Luckily, I've had a spare HDD lying around and used Macrium Reflect to clone my 480GB MP510.

Once you've cloned it, perform a boot from the cloned drive, then Secure Wipe your Corsair drive and then clone the cloned drives back onto the Corsair drive. The write speeds should go back to normal, but god knows for how long.

I personally can't tell when the issue appeared, but I've already performed two Windows installs since I have it and every time I only used Quick Format. Looks like if you're reinstalling your system it's a good idea to perform a Secure Wipe each time.

If I decide to do that I will surely buy another SSD M2... I'm very disappointed by Corsair.

• Like 1

Have y'all tried the steps to force TRIM as mentioned in this thread? https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=202134

As I've mentioned in other threads, if you continue running into this, please contact our Tech Support team at https://help.corsair.com for assistance with your specific drives.

I have tried TRIM before doing a Secure Wipe and it helped for just a moment and even then the drive didn't get back to it's original write speeds. It jumped from 600Mb/s to 1600Mb/s, but after a reboot it just went back down to 600Mb/s. I've disabled Fast Boot now and let Windows 10 optimize the drive from now on.

Few days after doing the Secure Wipe and the drive is holding up to it's max speeds so far.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone from the SSD team wants to reach out, I also encountered this problem, but my MP510 960GB is currently sitting unused and I can run whichever diagnostics you want on it.

I only got the write speeds back after a zero-fill, fwiw.

Let me know if I can help diagnose this.

• 1 month later...