Corsair Community

More than 6 fans... how?

JMcDonald84

Hey guys! I am doing my first computer build. I bought my Corsair 680x case and I see where I can hook up 6 fans on the controller. I have a total of 8 fans, 1 rear, two on the h100i, 3 on the front, and 2 on the bottom...

I bought the triple pack RGB fans so I have another controller setup.. this may sound stupid, please be gentle if I'm asking this stupid question...

Do I hook up the new controller and lighting node so that I will have 2 of these setups...? Thanks for any help you can give!

Yeah, I have the same issue on my 740 for 7/9 fan set ups. Assuming your “H100i” is not a Platinum with its own lighting controller for 2 fans, you will need to use 2 RGB lighting hubs, each with their own SATA power line — don’t combine these on double/triple SATA splitter. How you split the fans up between the two controllers is up to you, but this will be two lighting channels and thus each needs to be programmed. I have put the top 6 on Ch 1 and bottom fans on Ch 2 as well as more equal 4+4 or 4+5 splits. It does have some effect on sequential lighting effects since there are two channels. This is something that can be changed after you are set up, but I would keep the the two hubs near each other to facilitate that.

There also are rgb splitters out there, but that would cause two sets of two fans to act as one with a simultaneous lighting (both bottom fans do the same effect, same moment in time. top fans too). It’s ok with static or simultaneous patterns, but waves, ripples, and sequential effects will be odd. I also think 8 is pushing the current load a bit far if these are LL fans.

Well ... it depends on which version of the H100i you have (there are several).

If it's a Platinum edition, then you can connect the RGB connectors for the two fans directly to the cooler and the other six fans to the RGB Fan LED Hub.

If it's not a Platinum edition, you'll need a second RGB Fan LED Hub but not a second Lighting Node Pro. You can split the 8 fans between the fan hubs however you wish (6-2, 5-3, 4-4) but both fan hubs can be connected to a single Lighting Node Pro - 1 on each channel.

Check out the RGB FAQ at http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880. It'll help.

I do have the H100i Platinum! I just havent got that far yet, I took the stock fans out last night and installed the white RGB fans that I bought to replace the stock black ones.

I will unbox the H100 tonight and give it a lookover, Thanks for the input guys!