Corsair Community

RM850x 12v Rail Fluctuations - Normal?

FishPhoenix

Hi all,

So I recently built my first liquid cooled system (every part is Hydro X except for the GPU waterblock which is EVGA Hydro Copper). No leaks and temps are all great. The GPU is EVGA 2080 Super FTW3.

When I play games, after a little bit my entire screen gets covered in artifacts and freezes, and I have to reboot. If I turn my GPU power to 85% it seems to be okay. But 100% leads to artifacts. Nothing in the system is overclocked.

I have been speaking with EVGA support and they told me that the 20 series cards are sensitive to PSU fluctuations. Specifically they told me to check the 12v rail voltage in my BIOS. They said if I'm seeing fluctuations larger than +-0.05v then it could be a PSU issue and not the card.

The readings show either 12.168 or 12.240. Fluctuation of 0.07v. This seems quite negligible, even though it's higher than the number EVGA recommends. Could this be causing issues with the GPU? And if this isn't normal should I return and exchange the PSU? I'm still within the 30 day return policy from the store I got it from.

I've seen some varying suggestions from friends or other forums, with the majority opinion being that this is a GPU issue. One person suggested I lock my GPU voltage (which I haven't tried). At this point I'm just seeing if I can go through the RMA process with EVGA, but figured I'd look into the PSU thing first.

Thanks!