Corsair Community

iCUE is causing voltage problems on Zen 2

Jorann

See this:

That's from AMD. Hard to say what Corsair could do but I guess we'll see.

I have to turn off iCUE to get the vcore back to around 0,9v.

Even with HWinfo on, and iCUE off, the vcore still drops to 0,9v. Just not as often when i close HWinfo.

So atleast for my system, not using iCUE fixes it for me.

Well...there's this:

"It's not monitoring tools, it's iCUE specifically. I've read his description, and it doesn't match up to my tests. ALL of the Hardware monitoring tools opened at once are showing lower voltages and sleeping cores, but iCUE SPECIFICALLY triggers all cores to wake and lock in voltage, increasing temps."

Using CPU-Z to check voltage and with ICUE open I have 0.900v when fully idle and I see the same in Ryzen Master... any other monitoring apps show a varying range of voltages on my 3700x from 1.3 to 1.5 for less than a second at a time. Its the monitoring programs causing an issue as AMD_Robert has said repeatedly.

I'll get a 3900X soon. I'm gonna see what's going on.

I suspect the dashboard monitoring the CPU is causing that.

As AMD stated, it's multiple monitoring systems causing conflicting issues, be it ICUE(even without the dashboard monitoring specifically) HWINFO, Ryzen Master, Afterburner, Geforce Experience, etc. They also stated that the only one working properly with the way the cores are going to sleep is CPU-Z.

I load up CPU-Z i get voltages running between .480V to 1.4+V with fluctuations all over in between depending on cores etc. On my stock 3700X.

Opening 2 or more causes them to head off the reservation. CPU-Z/Master Whatever combination you'd like, CPU-Z reports voltages @1.48V with only minor fluctuations down to say 1.45(Woo!).

Shutting down the second/third/6th monitoring tool, CPU-Z goes back to reporting correct voltages within seconds.

Well...there's this:

"It's not monitoring tools, it's iCUE specifically. I've read his description, and it doesn't match up to my tests. ALL of the Hardware monitoring tools opened at once are showing lower voltages and sleeping cores, but iCUE SPECIFICALLY triggers all cores to wake and lock in voltage, increasing temps."

Which could simply mean that some of the other monitoring tools have been updated to handle this using whatever method AMD recommends (after all, their own Ryzen Master doesn't do this, right?). iCUE is a consumer of one of these tools (CPUID/HWMonitor, to be specific) and any updates to CPUID need to be integrated into the build, validated and tested before release. Which usually means that there is a delay between when it's ready in the source tool and then available in iCUE.

Considering that AMD's own response is contrary to this poster's statement, I'm inclined to lean towards AMD's response as the definitive, authoritative answer.

• Confused 1

Confirmed

R5 3600

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus BIOS 7C37vA2

iCUE 3.17.94

AMD Ryzen Balanced Plan

Closing iCUE drops idle voltages and temps accordingly

With regular Windows " Balanced " power plan and iCue open core clocks and idle voltages drop.

The issue lies between the Ryzen Power plans and monitoring software not limited to but including iCUE

Edited by beardo47

I can confirm it is the iCue.exe program itself causing the voltage to stay high and not its monitoring software "Corsair.Service.exe". I tested this by closing Corsair.Service.exe and Corsair.Service.CpuIdRemote64.exe making sure they don't start up again and leaving iCue running. As soon as i shutdown iCue. Voltage will drop down. If i start iCue, voltage peaks at 1.4-1.48 and stays there untill i turn of iCue again.

I know iCue isn't the only cause for this because Displayfusion keeps the voltage peaked also, And that is just a Display manager. Tho it does have to monitor the system for window and other processes for its triggering. But still, only having one of them run at a time peaks voltage and it does not go down until you close them. So I guess it is just a waiting game to see how it gets fixed. IMO Corsair still needs to do something to lower iCues process requirement. Also It didn't matter if i was on window balanced or ryzen balanced, high performance power profile. Voltage would still drop down to 0.9 on all 3 when iCue was closed.

Maybe they could add a stop monitoring box by the hardware that needs. HWinfo seems to be on the ball when it comes to that.

Corsair and/or AMD need to fix this. I read all this stuff on things causing high voltages, but it's only iCue on my system. Just monitoring the system isn't an issue, I've got Aida 64 running full-time, and the voltages are fine. So now I get to have a gimped motherboard at the moment, unlike a few days ago when I had an Intel system. Having the voltage run constantly at 1.4v isn't something I'll just settle with.

• 8 months later...
Corsair and/or AMD need to fix this. I read all this stuff on things causing high voltages, but it's only iCue on my system. Just monitoring the system isn't an issue, I've got Aida 64 running full-time, and the voltages are fine. So now I get to have a gimped motherboard at the moment, unlike a few days ago when I had an Intel system. Having the voltage run constantly at 1.4v isn't something I'll just settle with.

Having the same exact issue. Just switch from an i7 6850k to a Ryzen 3900X. Have tried all the fixes, the only program that jumps voltage consistently is icue. If I close iCue, voltages dip from 1.4-1.5 to around .9. A bit frustrated because I have 11 QL fans on 2 lighting nodes in my build and closing iCue gets rid of my preferred lighting profiles for my fans. The Ram and Mobo lighting doesn't change but the hardware selection for the fans is very limited for when iCue is closed compared to the selection you have when it is running. This is something that Corsair could easily fix by making more hardware lighting profiles available to run when iCue is closed.

To everyone in this thread:

The high idle voltages are a result of AMD's boost algorithm. Corsair iCUE CPU usage causes Ryzen CPUs to boost, which causes the voltage to jump up.

There's nothing to fix. AMD would have to re-engineer their CPUs and Corsair would have to make iCUE use 0% CPU and neither of those is going to happen.

The "high" voltages are NOT harmful. Just get over it and quit staring at monitoring software and just use your computer normally.

If you absolutely MUST have low CPU voltage at idle, then set your Windows Power Plan to "Power saver". This will cause Windows to FORCE the CPU to it's lowest P-State at idle. It WILL cause a performance loss, though, so I don't recommend this.