Corsair Community

Corsair commander pro doesnt recognize my fans

Jonathanas

Since i have to wait a few days for response to a ticket i thought id try to gt help here...

I just bought the corsair commander pro and installed it(power and USB 2.0 connection) and its software(latest version of Link from the corsair website then instructed it to update the firmware) As of right now, it recognizes any thermal probe i connect to it and reports the temp. it however seems to be unaware that 2 4pin fans are connected to it.

When i first turn on the PC the green light on the CP lights up for a second, and when i initially plugged in the 2nd fan it spun up, seemingly not vary fast, maybe 500 rpm then stopped. My motherboard, OS etc is listed, the other parts are not as i dont really think they would have anything to do with it.

The fans are noctu nf-f12 industrialppc-3000 12V version with a draw of .3 amps max, i couldnt find the limit for the CP so i only plugged in one. I havnt tried another brand of fan but i have a 3 pin on my case ill try out tomorrow since its vary late atm. I just wanted to leave this here in case someone had an idea or had seen this before.

Decided to test my case fan, the CP recognizes it and started it spinning as soon as i started the PC, it even shows up and seems to allow me to adjust its curve.

Curious, i was fiddling with the options section and it nuked everything, all the fans, temp probs etc all vanished except my CPU temps, restart fixed it...

If all else fails can i edit something, some file that stores data about the fans to force the fan to show up and work? I dont think i have two dead fans and it would be odd for them to not be compatible, its a 4 pin fan that can only be connected one way.

I guess you are getting rather confused by all the strange issues, but you should look for other posts before posting as you may well have found some of mine.

The CLCP has detection issues and may not have correctly detected the pump as 4-pin PWM, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=907225 + http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=907103

I advise you check what my SIV utility reports and if it's not detected correctly log a call via https://corsair.secure.force.com/home/home.jsp and ask for the firmware to be fixed.

Since i have to wait a few days for response to a ticket i thought id try to gt help here...

I just bought the corsair commander pro and installed it(power and USB 2.0 connection) and its software(latest version of Link from the corsair website then instructed it to update the firmware) As of right now, it recognizes any thermal probe i connect to it and reports the temp. it however seems to be unaware that 2 4pin fans are connected to it.

When i first turn on the PC the green light on the CP lights up for a second, and when i initially plugged in the 2nd fan it spun up, seemingly not vary fast, maybe 500 rpm then stopped. My motherboard, OS etc is listed, the other parts are not as i dont really think they would have anything to do with it.

The fans are noctu nf-f12 industrialppc-3000 12V version with a draw of .3 amps max, i couldnt find the limit for the CP so i only plugged in one. I havnt tried another brand of fan but i have a 3 pin on my case ill try out tomorrow since its vary late atm. I just wanted to leave this here in case someone had an idea or had seen this before.

Welcome to the "My Noctua Fans don't work with the Link Commander Pro club".

@Corsiar: Any progress on this issue?

Thanks!

I have the same issue. I have the NF-F12 industrialppc pwm 2000rpm ip67 and the NF-A14 industrialppc pwm 2000rpm ip67 and they don't get recognized by corsair link when connected up to the commander pro.

I called corsair yesterday, and they said they've only heard of this issue from 1 or 2 other people (most likely you all here), but were at least aware of it. They said it had to do with the way the noctua fans handle the PWM signal and that it is slightly different than other PWM fans. They were not able to give me an estimated timetable of the fix. They said quote "we're not yet sure if it is something that can be fixed through a firmware/software update"

So I guess its just wait and see if they can get it figured out and hopefully just push the fix through an update.

They said it had to do with the way the noctua fans handle the PWM signal and that it is slightly different than other PWM fans.

It's not just noctua fans that have issues, I have some fans that are ramdomly detected as 3-pin or 4-pin, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=907232

Also Phanteks PH-FP140SP fans are detected as PWM 4-PIN, while actually being 3-PIN voltage fans.

This must be as vary common problem because i called tech support and didnt even have to mention the type of fan and they guessed Noctua. No update on when/if it will get a fix, just that they are aware of the issue and that noctua handles the PWM signal differently. Also no mention of why they dont list known incompatible fans(as i wouldnt have bought these things) Now i have to try to find different fans as good as noctua or find a different controller.. and i was really looking forward to the commander pro.

Additional info: If you connect everything but the pwm speed control wire... the fan spins up quite fast and runs. But the software still doesnt recognize that a fan is even plugged in though it seemingly switched to 3 pin mode for it. However i cant even control it to run it slower and it seems to be running at full speed. So its not exactly silent and that means until this is fixed my smart fan hub would be a standard full power hub... thats assuming they ever fix it.

This must be as vary common problem because i called tech support and didnt even have to mention the type of fan and they guessed Noctua. No update on when/if it will get a fix, just that they are aware of the issue and that noctua handles the PWM signal differently. Also no mention of why they dont list known incompatible fans(as i wouldnt have bought these things) Now i have to try to find different fans as good as noctua or find a different controller.. and i was really looking forward to the commander pro.

I don't think they list incompatible fans because they did not do any compatibility testing before they released the Commander Pro (CLCP). To be fair, you can't expect Corsair to test every fan on the planet. You could expect the designers to be aware of the fact that there are evidently several methods of PWM control and to state that CLCP may not be compatible with fans that use a method different than Corsair fans. It is interesting to note that other posts have indicated that Noctura fans do work with the Commander Mini.

After Corsair was made aware of the Noctura issue, Corsair Dustin did post here

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=907100#post907100

on 7-June 2017 that they have planned to get some Noctura fans and that the testing process would take about a month. That was a few weeks ago. No update (that I have seen) since then.

@speedyV What i mean is they know now that its not compatible because they guessed which fan i had so it must be fairly common, yet they havnt updated their sales material to reflect this knowledge. Even without testing they know this to be the case because of the number of complaints. Its their responsibility as a company to let perspective buyers know. Unless i can get it to work with voltage(which it doesnt recognize the fan even with only 3 wires connected), i now have to return it at their expense and with my time wasted.

Is there any way to force the commander pro through some edit to treat one of its fan ports as i desire? IE. force it to treat fan port #1 as a 3 pin fan and regulate it with voltage even if the commander pro doesnt think anything is connected to it despite it powering the fan at full speed.

(details, CP wont work with my 4 pin noctua fan, but if i connect only 3 wires(no pwm control) then it spins up to full speed yet doesnt recognize a fan as being there. Clearly, if i could tell it to treat it like a 3 pin and just lower the voltage as it does with other 3 pins then the CP would at least work for me and i wouldnt have to return it.)

Yes I see your point. It may interest you to know that Red Ray has pointed out blatant errors in some of the Corsair AIO coolers which Corsair has acknowledged on this forum many months ago yet they still have not done anything about it. He has also pointed out that several AIO coolers report half of the true Pump RPM, and more software and firmware bugs that I can count for every release of Corsair Link. In the vast majority of cases, they have done nothing. If you think they are going to add a warning or disclaimer about other brands of fans not working with the CLCP, think again. Go click on any sticky post announcing a new release of Link. The next post will be a LONG list of bugs posted by Red Ray. Some of these issues have not been addressed for YEARS. Here is the link to the latest one

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167913

I wish you luck with the Noctuas but don't hold your breath...

Ive been looking around more but am tired and stressed at this point because i only have so long to return them, it seems like red-ray's siv software may help but at this point im not sure things could get worse so ill probably try it.

In other news, i thought my MOBO had voltage control for its 3 pin fans but it in fact doesnt seem to have it, they just run at full speed it seems with no way to reduce it(checked bios and other software that came with it) so that method is out...

If i can force this Commander Pro using SIV to recognize the fan as 3 pin it might actually work because it does get power and does spin up. Though at this point im thinking ill be sending this CP back for a full refund Which is sad, i was really looking forward to the added lights :) But at this point im so annoyed i really just dont even care anymore. I started this 'upgrade' because a fan died. CP seemed like it had everything, but if it cant work with the fan i want there is no point keeping it or ordering the lights.

it seems like red-ray's siv software may help.

1. No, the issue is a CLCP firmware issue and the CLCP firmware needs to be fixed.
  2. Currently all that SIV can do is report what the firmware detected the fan as.
  3. CLCP register 0x27 is called WRITE_FAN_FORCE_3PIN_MODE but as I don't have the CLCP datasheet don't know what I would need to write to this register.
  4. I would have to be brave, feel lucky or foolish to get SIV to write to this register unless I know what needs to be written.
  5. If Corsair make this information available to me via my Corsair NDA then I suspect I may be able to get SIV to help with your issue.
  6. Had I designed or specified the CLCP firmware there would be a per fan register to set the fan detect mode with possible settings of:
    1. auto detect (what the CLCP currently does).
    2. detect if a fan is connected and if so always use 3-pin voltage.
    3. detect if a fan is connected and if so always use 4-pin PWM.
    4. assume a fan is connected and use 3-pin voltage.
    5. assume a fan is connected and use 4-pin PWM.

[*] A write to the register would force a fan redetect using the mode written.

[*] This setting would be saved in NVM and so would only need to be setup/written once.

[*] Ideally the setting would be preserved across firmware updates.

[*] Register 0x20 (READ_FAN_MASK) would be extended to report the four additional detection possibilities.

[*] Supporting fan hotplug would be a requirement.

[*] Doing interoperability testing with 3rd party fans would be a requirement.

@red, 3 & 4, what would the downside be to guessing? if you can read the current value does that give you an idea of other values they may use? Depending on the potential downside i may be willing to test it. Are we talking damage to my PC's system registry or damage to the commander pro?

Lets say, with only 3 of the 4 (fan)wires connected, since the fan spins up it is likely detected as a 3 pin fan but the fan doesnt show up in the corsair link software when connected to the commander pro. if its the link software at fault here would yours be able to control the voltage if its detected? what range of voltage control does it have? 0v, 3.3v, 5v, 12v? or at anywhere between there?

im going to check your software to see if its at least detected.

Update: Commander pro WILL NOT detect my 4 pin fan when all but the PWM wire is connected(making it appear as a 3 pin fan) The weird thing is the fan runs at full RPM but Commander pro/link softer/SIV say there is nothing connected there even though ive done full power down reboots so it should have detected it. Their software... firmware? seems to be vary glitchy. How can it power the fan and be unaware its powering the fan??? its a full .3 amps.

@red, 3 & 4, what would the downside be to guessing? if you can read the current value does that give you an idea of other values they may use? Depending on the potential downside i may be willing to test it. Are we talking damage to my PC's system registry or damage to the commander pro?

Lets say, with only 3 of the 4 (fan)wires connected, since the fan spins up it is likely detected as a 3 pin fan but the fan doesnt show up in the corsair link software when connected to the commander pro. if its the link software at fault here would yours be able to control the voltage if its detected? what range of voltage control does it have? 0v, 3.3v, 5v, 12v? or at anywhere between there?

There is always a risk that that doing this could cause CLCP hardware issues. SIV 5.21 Beta-03 can do this, but you would need to use a "secret" command line qualifier to enable this facility. If you post [Link Fans] I may PM you what it is, but you must realise that I has to guess what to send to the CLCP and have no real idea what doing this may do.

Looking at the tech specs it says "Operating Voltage 7V - 13.2V " so I expect 7V -> 12V.

In the end I did guess and assuming I am correct what WRITE_FAN_FORCE_3PIN_MODE does is not ideal.

I am far better at guessing than being patent and suspect I have figured out what WRITE_FAN_FORCE_3PIN_MODE does. Basically it sets ALL the fans on the CLCP to either 3-pin Voltage or 4-pin PWM which is far from optimal and in reality next to useless :(:.

At the moment I am biting my tongue rather hard :roll:.

Update: Commander pro WILL NOT detect my 4 pin fan when all but the PWM wire is connected(making it appear as a 3 pin fan) The weird thing is the fan runs at full RPM but Commander pro/link softer/SIV say there is nothing connected there even though ive done full power down reboots so it should have detected it. Their software... firmware? seems to be vary glitchy. How can it power the fan and be unaware its powering the fan??? its a full .3 amps.

1. I feel the whole fan detection regime must be rather poor and suspect that Corsair have done little if any interoperability testing with 3rd party fans.
  2. Given that fan hotplug does not work doing interoperability testing will be a total PITA and Corsair should fix hotplug support.
  3. They also should provide a regime to override the automatic detection similar to what I proposed in http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=908336.
  4. In general the CLCP seems to do what is needed, but if Corsair don't sort out fan detection and hot plug it will soon get a bad reputation as it only reliably works when Corsair fans are connected.
  5. I advise you to log a call via https://corsair.secure.force.com/home/home.jsp and ask that the CLCP fan hotplug + fan detection issues be addressed.

http://i.imgur.com/BhkP2wK.jpg

Is this what you meant by LINK FAN? OR do you mean in the BETA version?

Also, just to mention im vary much intending to return this Commander Pro since i cant use it unless your fix works. even then im thinking of just getting a cheap splitter or something.

If this Only affects the commander pro it may be worth testing, with any changes this makes, would a factory reset on it undo them? or could we change it back to the default setting after at least?

Just to note, Half of my reason to get this was for the light kit, but since its not compatible (unless i get the 60$ kit) there isnt much point, pretty much just feels like they are trying to trick people into buying their product.

Fyi, i tried sending this as a PM but either i cant send them or you cant receive them.(the system said you cant receive them, but i figure it has to be me because my account is only a few days old.)

Edit:cant link images i guess? there is the link.

Looking at [Link Fans] I can see that the fans have not even been detected and from my testing I don't expect SIV will be able to help. To try it you would need SIV 5.21 Beta-03 or later.

I know Corsair intend to fix the fan detection firmware issues, so suspect if you wait a while the CLCP will detect your fans. You may wish to log a call via https://corsair.secure.force.com/home/home.jsp and ask when the updated firmware will be available.

If you can solder then it's easy to use 3rd party LEDs, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168504

I was getting too many PMs asking for help rather than members creating a thread so I blocked PMs, but I do allow e-mails.

See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=853900 for how to attach a file/screen image to a post. BTW .PNG gives crisper/sharper images.

Im not opposed to the idea of soldering, ive done it before. given the price, even buying a soldering iron and solder would be cheaper then buying from corsair.

I think what i will do then if you dont think it will work, rather then mess with it ill return this for now(unless corsair gives me a vary good reason not to). If/when they fix this i will just buy it again. I really dont feel like getting stuck with this Commander Pro and wasting money if they decide to not fix it, i just dont trust them as a company given these problems and their pricing.

Ill call them again and ask specifically about this detection issue when they are open again.

Thanks for all of your help and for making SIV available.(Thanks to the others that replied as well)

Ok, you are going to laugh at this. Tech support suggested i try HWMONITOR to see if it detected the fans, not sure why it would, as best i can tell it doesnt report on any of it! Regardless, i thought id humor him and said "why not". reconnected it with just the 3 wires. restarted, checked... and full RPM as per usual but i noticed something, the fan seemed to be spinning up and down with my CPU after a bit. Checked Link and SIV... both reported... the fan existed! More then that, link was controlling it. I thought it must have updated but here is the kicker when i powered my PC back on the wire must have moved just a tiny bit. Before when i thought i had 3 wires connected, i must have had only had 2. apparently getting the 3rd but not the 4th to touch was neigh impossible. but on this last attempt between restarts it did on its own.

Conclusion.

Neutral + Hot wire = full speed; N + H + Speed detection = fine grain voltage control like PWM; N + H + S + PWM = fan does nothing.

I can control this 3000 RPM fan from 1244 RPM up to about 2700 RPM which seems about standard for these fans give or take a few RPM.

Im gonna have to go out and get some actual wire connections and see if i can replicate this to make sure it wasnt a fluke before i decide to keep it.

In other news... more of my fans are dying! PSU fan being one of them (Stuck another fan on it for the time being to keep it cool) lol Seems i need more. If all goes well ill be trying that custom light setup.

If i get this to work, ill do a full write up with pictures in case anyone else shows up here with noctua fans.

Tech support suggested i try HWMONITOR to see if it detected the fans, not sure why it would, as best i can tell it doesnt report on any of it!

I know Franck the developer of CPUZ/HWM quite well and HWM can't report the CLCP at all. The only 3rd party utilities that can are SIV and HWiNFO (I told Martin how to do this). I also told Tamas (AIDA64), but don't think he has added support.

Such statements show that Corsair need to provide additional training to their support staff. I don't know if you linked to this thread, but if you did then the response from Corsair support is ill considered.

What you seem to be saying is when the fan is detected only when pin-4 is not connected? Is this so? I guess it's detected as 3-pin PWM, can you post the SIV 5.21 Beta-07 or later [Link Status] + [Link Fans] panels?

How many fans do you have and are they all 3-pin or 4-pin? Provided they are detected SIV seems to be able to set them all as 3-pin or 4-pin.

I have 4 pin noctua fans, I THINK this is whats happening. when you connect with

-2 pin you get full speed

-3 pins voltage control that acts like PWM

-4 pins fan does nothing.

BUT you have to have just 3 connected when you restart your PC or the firmware wont detect it, if its 2 or 4 when you restart then switch to 3 it wont detect it(hotplug issue) but its nearly impossible.

Ive tried to reproduce this but so far i cant, im going to literally need to get a 4 pin to 4 pin connector and snip the 4th wire to test it because its impossible for my "happy accident" to happen again. At this point im starting to wonder if it was a fluke. ill need to order one of these wires i guess because i doubt any stores around here would have them.

Ok, rather then wait for a wire to test it, i used 2 of the 2 wire female to female wires..( for something?) and just plugged those into the commander pro instead, matched up the pin outs on those with the fans and twisted some copper wire of the right size and connected them female to female (minus the PWM wire)... powered on... and working... link/command pro recognizes them just fine and is controlling the fan like it is supposed to. ill do that write up with pictures when i get some proper wires. now to try to find those light strips...

Archived