Corsair Community

CPU plug problem on AX860i

DrDelirium

Okay, I've searched a bit in the forum and I haven't seen a similar problem, but I could be blind too ;-)

My power supply came with a CPU plug that just won't fit on my motherboard.

The motherboard is an Asus Z87 Deluxe/Dual and the ATX/CPU/EPS plug seems normal enough and indeed other PSU (Enermax and Ultra X4) are both able to plug the 8pins ATX connector on the CPU, but as you can see from the pics below, the CPU cables that came with the PSU are very different, "almost" like a PCI-E plug, but not quite either.

I contacted the support and they sent me an other CPU cable, which turned out to be the exact same thing I already had.

Now I haven't heard or read anything saying that either the motherboard nor the PSU had compatibility issues with each other, so I'm assuming it's just a problem of wrong cable, but when asked the Corsair support sent me an other cable that was completely wrong.

So what can I do? Can anyone help?

motherboard_plug_EATX.jpg.012bcb140996703d2ed5302edf211f4c.jpg

power_supply_plug_CPU.jpg.c229178fc15765898ee2ada0165a9e85.jpg

Well I'll be damned. I tried at first without pushing too much against the motherboard for fear of breaking anything, but after your comment I decided to try again and sure enough, the plug went in the connector.

Thanks!

Now I need to find out why my motherboard is telling me the CPU is not working...

No way :|

What CPU do you have?

Wadda ya mean no way. It's an easy mistake to make and a very common one for first time builders. Besides you can't call your self a REAL builder until you've destroyed a CPU socket.......or two:roll:!!

Specs are in the drop down and first post....4770k

What are you getting for a POST code?

I'm not a novice builder, although I don't build much anymore. Started with the 286 back in the days... it really was easier then.

Anyway, it's very small to inspect all the pins on the MB for these CPUs, but it looks like they're all fine. The DEL POST at the bottom of the board display an enigmatic "0000" which refers to nothing in the manual.

Archived