Corsair Community

Obsidian 800D - Capable of fitting top radiators meant for 140mm fans?

Xaeos

Hello everyone. My Obsidian 800D is getting a bit long in the tooth, but has provided many years of faithful service with no signs of stopping. Unfortunately, the recent consideration of a cooling upgrade has given me pause in that it may not be compatible with my 800D without modification.

The 800D was built in an era where radiators with 120mm fans were the standardi. I know it has support for 3x 120mm (ie 360mm) radiators on the top of the case. I am wondering however if radiators meant for 140mm fans will be compatible in this same mounting site? I am considering the purchase of 280mm rad AIO loops, such as the Corsair H110 and the Swiftech H240-X for instance. Will these be able to be mounted on the top radiator space without any trouble? I am wondering if the mounting holes will line up, or if the wider form factor of a 140mm fan radiator will be too wide to properly fit?

If not by default, will things work out with some relatively simple modding such as drilling new mounting holes? Or will that top area not properly work for any radiator that isn't based on 120mm fans? If this is the case, can anyone suggest alternative mounting locales within the case that would work with relative ease? I've also considered some sort of "rad-box/shroud" for external mounting but I wonder if that will be difficult on account of having to take apart the AIO to use the hose inlet/outlets.

Ultimately, if I can't find a solution it looks like I'll either need to make do with the lesser cooling of a 120mm AIO, or put out significant expense either A) Build a custom loop with a 3x 120mm radiator or B) upgrade to a more modern, versatile case like the Obsidian 900D or one of the CaseLabs products.

Any ideas?

I start to suggest something like this, but it started to get complicated. I don't think the single fan adapters could work because the hole spacing for 2x120mm verses 2x140 are different, (look at the top of a 300R or similar case.) You could make an adapter plate.

I started to look for a pre-made one on the web, but got sidetracked. You could probably make one from a piece of this: http://www.estreetplastics.com/1_4_x_12_x_24_grey_smoked_polycarbonate_p/3802501224.htm

or:

http://www.amazon.com/ABS-Sheet-Thick-Black-Nominal/dp/B0072JYLXE/ref=sr_1_4?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1417963888&sr=1-4

However, I'm not sure it would worth it. The grill opening is still 120, so I don't think it would cool any better that an H100i or a 3x120mm radiator.

"Ultimately, if I can't find a solution it looks like I'll either need to make do with the lesser cooling of a 120mm AIO, or put out significant expense either A) Build a custom loop with a 3x 120mm radiator or B) upgrade to a more modern, versatile case like the Obsidian 900D or one of the CaseLabs products. "

Any ideas?

Same issue I had with my old 800d , I went for the luxe , the 240-x was made for it with plenty of space .

Archived