Corsair Community

Corsair USB Devices Keep Disconnecting/Reconnecting

So I'm pulling my hair out here with Corsair. My USB devices keep disconnecting and reconnecting at random, multiple times per day. Something is causing a reset on all USB devices connected to the X470 chipset. I've tried all the solutions on this forum to no avail. The problem has persisted across multiple iterations of gear (different cases, CPUs, internal and external drives, RAM configs, PSUs, GPUs, etc) and across multiple clean Windows installations. Current gear list below:

MAIN COMPONENTS:

Ryzen 7 3700X - PBO Enabled - No Overclock

MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon - Latest 2D BIOS (have reflashed various BIOS versions and reset CMOS many times - no change)

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz C15 - XMP Enabled

EVGA RTX2080 XC Black Edition w/ EVGA PowerLink

EVGA SuperNova G3 750W PSU

PERIPHERALS/ACCESSORIES:

Corsair H150i Pro

Lighting Node Pro

8 x Corsair LED Strips

Commander Pro

6 x HD120 RGB Fans

ST100 Headphone Stand

HS70 Wireless Headphones

Corsair Light Enhancement Kit (Dummy RAM Modules w/ RGB)

M65 RGB Pro Mouse

K70 Mk.2 SE Keyboard

SOFTWARE:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1909 - fully updated

iCUE 3.26.95 (earlier versions exhibit same behavior)

Mystic Light - uninstalled - have tried both installed w/ service disabled/manual start and completely uninstalled - no difference

HWInfo64 - 6.22 stable - Corsair/Asetek Support Disabled, Persistent Driver Disabled

Using USBLogView to monitor the disconnects and the devices being disconnected, I have narrowed it down to all ports deriving from the X470 chipset. The 4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports on the back of the motherboard deriving from the CPU do NOT disconnect; they work fine. All other ports, according to the MSI X470 GPC manual, derive from the X470 chipset, and all of them disconnect - this includes front USB 3.1 Gen 1, internal USB 2.0, rear USB 2.0, and rear USB 3.1 Gen 2. I have tried swapping devices around, and it's always the same ports that disconnect (and the same 4 ports that don't), regardless of the device connected to it.

At the recommendation of other users around the net, I have installed the NZXT Internal USB Hub - plugged the hub into one of the USB 2.0 internal headers, then plugged the Commander Pro and Lighting Node Pro into that. I have the H150i connected to the other internal USB 2.0 header, not to the hub.

USB disconnects and reconnects randomly, anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours, sometimes even going 6-7 hours, but definitely multiple timers per day. I use my computer for gaming and, more importantly, as a DAW (digital audio workstation) and for instrument playback and recording. I'll be in the middle of playing or recording, and everything but the peripherals attached to the rear USB 3.1 Gen 1 will disconnect and reconnect - not good when trying to record a take.

As a side note, I am also still having trouble with iCUE and 3rd Gen Ryzen voltages/temps. While the latest RAM and iCUE updates have given the illusion that CPU usage has been reduced (i.e. task manager doesn't show iCUE using a large portion of CPU or high power usage anymore), if you actually monitor CPU voltage, frequency, and temperatures using Ryzen Master, you will clearly see a huge difference (reduction) in all 3 when iCUE is closed. This issue still has not been fixed, merely masked, and it's unacceptable at this point.

That aside, I'm at the end of my rope here. I don't know what else to try. I've waited and waited for software and firmware updates to fix the issues I've been having, but this is getting ridiculous. I'm at the point where I'm about to uninstall everything Corsair (an extensive list of gear) and move onto something else. I've used Corsair gear in the past with good results, but the last 1.5 years have been extremely frustrating.

Does anyone have any further suggestions before I jump ship? I really don't want to, but it's getting to that point...

Edited by c00lkatz

Thanks for the lead. I think you're right.

Last night I unplugged the ST100 (which also has the HS70 receiver plugged into it) shortly after my initial post, and it hasn't reset once, kept USBLogView running overnight. Earlier this afternoon, I plugged the ST100 and HS70 receiver separately into a powered USB 3.1 Gen 1 hub connected to the back USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports on my motherboard, several hours no reset. Now I have the HS70 receiver plugged back into the ST100, and then the ST100 plugged into the hub. Previously the ST100/HS70 was plugged into the lone USB 3.1 Gen 2 port on the back of the motherboard, a confirmed disconnecting port. Figured if plugging into a powered hub works for the Commander Pro resetting (i.e. the NZXT Internal USB 2.0 Hub), then maybe plugging into a powered hub will work for the ST100 as well. I've also plugged in my USB 2.0 Bluetooth 4.0 adapter (confirmed not to reset if plugged into the right port) into the back USB 3.1 Gen 2 port, just to make sure it's not the port itself failing.

So far, no disconnects, but it's only been an hour or so. Crossing my fingers this works. Will let it sit overnight.

Edited by c00lkatz
Clarification

Thanks for the info guys.

I think this may cause me random bsod, because i have ST 100 with Virtuoso rgb plugged on it and after i check system reliability it shows hardware failure on every reboot.

Unplugged the wifi dongle and the error dissapear.

Did some of you check system reliability or event viewer for related reports ?

Well it looks like the USB hub fixed the issue for the ST100. No more disconnects. I have the HS70 receiver plugged into the ST100, then the ST100 plugged into a Sabrent 10-port switched USB 3.0 powered hub (along with various other devices). Ever since doing this, I haven't had any disconnects, confirmed by leaving USBLogView open. My USB Bluetooth 4.0 adapter lives where the ST100 used to in the USB 3.1 Gen 2 port on the back of the board, and it hasn't messed up once.

Kinda irritates the #$^&^%@ out of me that this little $60 stand was the problem the whole time. I've been through hell and back (and $$$) trying to figure this out over the last 1.5 years.

Edited by c00lkatz

i had the same issue,her is how i fixed it.in windows power management you have to select for the usb ports to always be on

Nope, tried that, didn't work. Also went into every device in device manager and set it to not allow windows to turn off the device to save power, still didn't work. It's the ST100 itself causing the issue.

• 1 month later...

Same issue here. sound like usb devices are insterted then removed. I had device manager open during this and nothing is changing. Whatever that sound is for is being caused by icue/.new build. I found that removing icue solves the issue but I need it to control fans. looking for a fix now.

USB devices: Ducky one 2 RGB, logitech mouse

Asus strix X570 ITX

AMD 3800X

EVGA 2080

Gskill 3200

Corsair platinum ?H100

silverstone sst750 psu

• 2 months later...
The cable is weak, you have to bend it downward so that the top-facing pins connect with the pins from the stand. It is like this in portable SSD drives for the Playstation 4 as well. That cable is notoriously weak, and I have to make cosmetic adjustments to keep my cord from resetting my entire soundboard.

Not a cable issue for me. I tried multiple cables other than the included Corsair and it still caused USB drop-outs. Only fix for me was to put the ST100 on a powered USB 3.0 hub. I suspect there’s an issue with whatever USB 3.1 interface they’re using and the controller on my mobo, and the hub acts as a stop gap between them.

That being said, since plugging the ST100 into the hub I haven’t had a single disconnect issue, been running like that since I posted this fix. However, with the other issues I’m having with iCue on my AMD Ryzen platform, I’ve given up on iCue. Yesterday I set static profiles for lighting, fan control, keyboard, mouse, etc, and closed iCue, told it not to boot at startup. I’m done with it. Just going to run hardware profiles from here on. If I need iCue for something specific I’ll launch it manually. Since the ST100 does nothing but rainbow puke without iCue running, I’ve disconnected it. Not using it anyway for anything other than a headphone stand anyway. Don’t need the built-in hub nor the audio. Was using it for the receiver of my HS70 headphones, but even that screwed up after plugging into the powered hub, causes static and distortion. Had to plug the HS70 receiver into a mobo port.

Next build I’m ditching Corsair. I’ve had enough. Corsair hardware is nice, but iCue is junk bloatware at this point. Too unstable, too many bugs, never knowing what the next update will kill, no more change logs to see if it’s even worth chancing an update, causes my Ryzen CPU to consume excessive power and heat, run at boosted frequencies across all cores constantly with excessive temps and excessive voltage, keeps my CPU from boosting past 4.2GHz since it’s always loaded down (with it closed I see boost speeds up to 4.4 GHz like it’s supposed to), and Corsair acknowledges this as “normal behavior” even though it’s the ONLY background app I have that causes this.

When companies like Corsair don’t want to listen, the only thing you can do is stop supporting them, and stop giving them your hard earned money. I’ve been a Corsair customer for years. Always liked their hardware, and any time I’ve had a support issue, the customer service has been fantastic. But when it comes to iCue, they turn a blind eye and act like everything is hunky dory even when their customers are SCREAMING at them that there’s a problem. And now that every single piece of Corsair hardware now relies on iCue, I have no reason to continue giving them my money.

Edited by c00lkatz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had the same issue as most in this thread. I had my headset connected to the top USB port. I would get disconnections when I moved and therefore the headset cable would move.

When I connected the headset to the side USB Port, it would seem that the issue of disconnects has stopped.

I do not if it is a design issue but it would seem that the top USB Port has some looseness that would cause disconnects (contacts creating a short??).

Wondering if this has fixed the issue for other?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Has there been a fix to this yet? unplugging the ST100 works as does quitting out iCUE from system tray however my fans go white and i dont like it haha. Corsair please for the love of all things holy fix this issue as it seems its been plaguing your customers for years. i just recently built a new pc first one in a little over 10 years and i use corsair parts on everything single thing i can from ram to psu to case to accesories even and this issue just randomly crept up on me one day and has been here since. really sux when ur in an mmo killing a boss and all of a sudden ur Glaive mm700 st100 and virtuoso all decide to disconnect for a good 5 seconds or so and sometimes within minutes it would do it again. however now that i moved my virtuoso dongle to my k95 xt plat passthru it doesnt disconnect and the keyboard itself doesnt either but comon when ur mouse goes out thats not good man. figure out whats causing this issue please and ffs fix it. NOTE: everything in iCUE is indeed updated i check daily.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Throwing a "me too" into the pile:

Anything connected to the USB headers on the Commander Pro causes windows to constantly connect/disconnect those devices - in my case it's the Corsair RGB Hub that comes with the QL120 3 pack and an NZXT Hue+ (both of which work fine via a different USB hub or directly to the motherboard. 

Specs:

• Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi)
  • AMD Ryzen 5900X
  • 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3600Mhz (2x16GB)
  • Nvidia RTX 3070 FE
  • 1TB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe 
  • 850W SilverStone PSU
  • Windows 10 Pro (20H2)

Quite annoying as I bought the Commander Pro with the USB headers in mind to help tidy up cabling so really don't want to resort to another internal hub. Motherboard running latest bios, latest chipset drivers and ICue and Commander Pro firmware both up-to-date.

Throwing a "me too" into the pile:

Anything connected to the USB headers on the Commander Pro causes windows to constantly connect/disconnect those devices - in my case it's the Corsair RGB Hub that comes with the QL120 3 pack and an NZXT Hue+ (both of which work fine via a different USB hub or directly to the motherboard. 

Specs:

• Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi)
  • AMD Ryzen 5900X

This is probably a better place to post for this issue, but since this is a hardware level problem, you are going to need a hardware solution (the powered hub).

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/168270-usb-connectivity-issues-related-to-amd-500-series-chipsets-megathread/

• 1 year later...