Corsair Community

Can't seem to overclock CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B to 1866Mhz

thegilpins

Hi,

I have 16GB Corsair Vengence with a MSI P67-GD65 board. I need 16GB as I use a number of ramdisks.

At 1600Mhz I have altered the cas latency from 9-9-9-24 2T to 9-9-8-18 1T @ 1.6V and it is very stable. I could not lower the latency at 1600Mhz any further without instability.

BUT I cannot OC to 1866Mhz, which was my goal with this new memory. I have set the DRAM voltage to 1.65v and what ever latencies I set the memory too I end up with memory errors when running memtest.

The 'best' I have got so far with the fewest errors at 1866 is 10-10-9-24 2T.

I brought this memory as it was advertised "with overclockers in mind", but I can't seem to get a stable overclock - what am I missing?

This is the first time I have tried to OC memory on a P67 board.

Any help appreciated.

1600 is the overclock. the jedec spec is either 1066 or 1333. anything above that is overclocking or XMP eXtreme Memory Profile plus even your cpu top supported stock speed would be 1333 spec. ram cannot run faster than the cpu so even when you set it to 1600 you are overclocking the cpu as well.

if you are running ramdisks you are better off at 1333 for reliable stability really. even 1600 runs a greater risk of a corrupt bit.

1600 MHz isn't an OC for the memory, it's an OC for the memory controller (short answer).

There's no inherent built in OC capacity with the memory, but they're built with parts that may have the capability. Your issue could be the memory, or it could be your memory controller. Ultimately since they hit their rated specs fine, there's nothing wrong with the memory itself.

Archived