Corsair Community

Can I use CX series cables on a TX?

Montblanc0

Hello everyone.

My CX-750M was emitting a burning smell so I decided to buy a TX-650M.

The TX came with 2x sata cables with only 3 outs each, while the CX had 4 on each cable. I need to power on 5 SATA devices in my PC, but the cables from the TX are too short to get to both my HDD and my ODD.

There is "Type 4" printed on both CX and TX cables and they seem to be totally the same, but the Corsair official compatibility list did not help. I have seen third party sellers list "Generation 2" cables compatible with both CX and TX (and others as well), so I think that it should work, but I am afraid of damaging my components.

So I asked in another forum and they said they are compatible. According to the official Corsair chart, they should be Type 3 and thus compatible, but the "Type 4" print on both TX and CX cables is seriously misleading. I made the switch, everything works.

hi bud....

The Type 4 cables have the same pin-out as Type 3 cables, but include small, solid capacitors on the +12V, +5V and +3.3V leads on the 24-pin, PCIe and EPS12V cables.

hope that helps

So is it ok that I am using a Type4 Sata Cable from my old CX on my new TX? Everything is working fine as of now, but I don't want to harm my components on the long run.