Corsair Community

Question about LL120 RGB fans, H150i Pro AIO and iCue

kmarshak

I'm in the midst of erecting my new build. I'm using the white LL120 RBG fans in conjunction with the H150i AIO.

I've also referred to Zotty's RGB guide and was planning on using the "Corsair RGB Fan & Commander Pro Setup."

My question is in regards to the 3 fans on the AIO. If I connect them to the three fan connectors on the pump head, will I see them in the iCUE software in order to include them in the RBG settings I create? I assume I would however I want to confirm.

I'm guessing that the fan control for these three fans would connect to the pump head while the LED controls would connect to the LED Fan Hub? Is that correct?

Thanks.

Yes, you will see them in iCUE under the H150i cooler device tab, along with pump and pump RGB settings, plus fan control. Unless you have a very specific reason for doing so, it is better to leave the radiator fan speed to the cooler's fan controller. It has native response to the coolant temperature and will operate to protect the system with or without software. Once you move the fan speed to the Commander Pro, you become reliant on the software without taking some additional steps.

The lighting of those fans will appear in the Commander Pro tab, Channel 1 or 2, depending on where you connect the RGB Lighting Hub.

Yes, you will see them in iCUE under the H150i cooler device tab, along with pump and pump RGB settings, plus fan control. Unless you have a very specific reason for doing so, it is better to leave the radiator fan speed to the cooler's fan controller. It has native response to the coolant temperature and will operate to protect the system with or without software. Once you move the fan speed to the Commander Pro, you become reliant on the software without taking some additional steps.

The lighting of those fans will appear in the Commander Pro tab, Channel 1 or 2, depending on where you connect the RGB Lighting Hub.

Great. So fan control is attached to the pump head and led control goes to the led hub which is attached to the Commander Pro.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Quick update.

I have the H150i Pro installed. USB cord is going to one of the USB headers on a Commander Pro. RGB LED Fan Hub is going to the same Commander Pro for the 3 LL120 fans on the radiator.

Other connections for the H150i Pro are the fan cable connection to the AIO_PUMP header on the mobo, the three radiator fans connected to the 3 fan headers from the pump head and obviously the SATA power.

Only other Corsair products are two Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro

When I look in iCue, all I see are the ram sticks and the commander pro. Curiously, when I click on the ram, I see the pump head for what I assume to be the cooler however I cannot interact with it. See image here.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

No, that pump head is for orientation only.

For the USB, check with USBDeView to see if it shows up. Download USBDeView from https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html.

If USBDeView doesn't "see" the cooler, then check the connection. It's super-easy to have them off-by-one on the CoPro USB connection. Also, make sure that the CoPro USB has both ports on the motherboard - some motherboards have single port USB connectors, even though they have all 9 pins. Ugh!

No, that pump head is for orientation only.

For the USB, check with USBDeView to see if it shows up. Download USBDeView from https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html.

If USBDeView doesn't "see" the cooler, then check the connection. It's super-easy to have them off-by-one on the CoPro USB connection. Also, make sure that the CoPro USB has both ports on the motherboard - some motherboards have single port USB connectors, even though they have all 9 pins. Ugh!

Thanks DevBiker. I checked everything and it all looks kosher. Hydro pump USB is correctly connected to the CoPro and CoPro shows up in USBDeView.

I'm just confused by what you mean when you said "Also, make sure that the CoPro USB has both ports on the motherboard - some motherboards have single port USB connectors, even though they have all 9 pins."

The mobo I'm using was 2 USB 2.0 connectors. I'm using one for the CoPro and one for the ThermalTake fan hubs.

Any other thoughts as to why the AIO isn't showing up in iCue?

Thanks again.

Thanks DevBiker. I checked everything and it all looks kosher. Hydro pump USB is correctly connected to the CoPro and CoPro shows up in USBDeView.

OK - this tells us that the USB hub on the CoPro is operating properly. Well ... the cooler has a green dot next to it in USBDeView, right?

I'm just confused by what you mean when you said "Also, make sure that the CoPro USB has both ports on the motherboard - some motherboards have single port USB connectors, even though they have all 9 pins."

A motherboard USB connector actually has two USB ports. Some motherboards, however, will have a full header (all 9 pins - looks like 2 ports) but when you get into the fine print in the manual, it only has one actual port connected. On the CoPro, one of the USB ports is for the CoPro itself (fan control, lighting, etc) and the other one is for the internal USB Hub. So if you happen to have one of those funky motherboards, it'd look like it's connected correctly and the CoPro would show up (on port 1) but the hub wouldn't be connected to a USB port. As noted above, we can confirm that this isn't the case or the cooler wouldn't show up.

The mobo I'm using was 2 USB 2.0 connectors. I'm using one for the CoPro and one for the ThermalTake fan hubs.

Any other thoughts as to why the AIO isn't showing up in iCue?

Thanks again.

Assuming that USBDeView is showing a green dot next to the cooler ... it's hard to say. Try restarting the service. Also, are you running any other monitoring tools? In particular, HWInfo?

OK - this tells us that the USB hub on the CoPro is operating properly. Well ... the cooler has a green dot next to it in USBDeView, right?

No. The cooler does not show up at all in USBDeView as far as I can see. The CoPro does but there is no listing for the cooler. See here.

A motherboard USB connector actually has two USB ports. Some motherboards, however, will have a full header (all 9 pins - looks like 2 ports) but when you get into the fine print in the manual, it only has one actual port connected. On the CoPro, one of the USB ports is for the CoPro itself (fan control, lighting, etc) and the other one is for the internal USB Hub. So if you happen to have one of those funky motherboards, it'd look like it's connected correctly and the CoPro would show up (on port 1) but the hub wouldn't be connected to a USB port. As noted above, we can confirm that this isn't the case or the cooler wouldn't show up.

Still a bit confused. I have a screenshot of the Mobo (ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming) layout from the manual here. A more magnified image of the bottom row of connectors is here.

So, there are two USB 2.0 headers on the board, indicated by number 15 in the magnified image. These connectors have 9 pins in two rows. Top row has 5 pins and the bottom row has 4 pins with the bottom right pin being the missing pin.

These two headers are listed as "USB34" and "USB12". I have the CoPro USB cord in USB12 and the ThermalTake units in USB34. The only items connected to the CoPro is the USB cord from the H150i Pro AIO and the Fan LED hub for the 3 fans attachd to the AIO radiator.

I'm assuming this is the correct way to connect the CoPro to the mobo as I'm able to manage the fan leds via Corsair.

Assuming that USBDeView is showing a green dot next to the cooler ... it's hard to say. Try restarting the service. Also, are you running any other monitoring tools? In particular, HWInfo?

Yeah, I'm not seeing the cooler in USBDeView but maybe I'm reading it wrong? If I can download the report from USBDeView I can share it.

Not running any other monitoring tools at the moment.

Thanks for all your help!

OK, those are standard USB headers. Yes, it's confusing - I mention it because it causes a TON of confusion (looks like a normal 2 port header but it's not).

USBDeView is not showing the cooler. That means that Windows doesn't "see" it as connected. And if Windows doesn't see it, iCUE won't see it either.

What I do see, however, in your USBDeView listing is that the CoPro's USB hub is showing as disconnected (VID 05E3, PID 0610). So this would be why your cooler isn't showing up either. There's also a "Device Descriptor failed" entry that would seem to point to the CoPro's USB hub.

With all of that said, some things to do:

1) Make sure that your motherboard drivers are installed. This is super-important, especially on a new board. Even if Windows "picks everything up" ... make sure that you are using the chipset and USB drivers from the motherboard manufacturer. Check their support website for updated drivers.

2) Make sure that XHCI Handoff is set to "Enabled" in the BIOS.

3) Disable Windows Fast Startup. This is enabled by default and can cause all kinds of crazy issues with USB device initialization. See https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup.

OK, those are standard USB headers. Yes, it's confusing - I mention it because it causes a TON of confusion (looks like a normal 2 port header but it's not).

USBDeView is not showing the cooler. That means that Windows doesn't "see" it as connected. And if Windows doesn't see it, iCUE won't see it either.

What I do see, however, in your USBDeView listing is that the CoPro's USB hub is showing as disconnected (VID 05E3, PID 0610). So this would be why your cooler isn't showing up either. There's also a "Device Descriptor failed" entry that would seem to point to the CoPro's USB hub.

1) Make sure that your motherboard drivers are installed. This is super-important, especially on a new board. Even if Windows "picks everything up" ... make sure that you are using the chipset and USB drivers from the motherboard manufacturer. Check their support website for updated drivers.

3) Disable Windows Fast Startup. This is enabled by default and can cause all kinds of crazy issues with USB device initialization. See https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup.

Fantastic.

Thanks a heap. I'll work on these later and provide an update.

If you celebrate Turkey Day, I hope you have a great one.

Hey DevBiker,

So, after waking from my turkey coma I did all the above and then some.

1. Update BIOS, USB & Chipset drivers
  2. Confirmed that XHCI Handoff was set to enabled
  3. Disabled Fast Startup

Turned on the PC and.....nothing. AIO still wasn't being seen.

So, on a hunch, I pulled the CoPro from the mobo and attached the AIO directly to that USB header.

Booted up the PC and VOILA! There it was.

I happened too have another CoPro lying around, hooked everything up to that and VIOLA!!! AIO and CoPro are now showing in iCue.

Somehow both USB hubs on the first CoPro were bad? No idea but I'm gonna go watch another episode of "The Mandalorian", have some Dalmore and re-do my PC wiring.

Thanks for all your help!