Corsair Community

Possible H150i problem, can you help me diagnose?

mobad

Hi all, i'm not sure if this is posted in the right section so please forgive me if not, i've tried to scour the internet to find out what exactly is the cause of this but finding the right way to word it may be whats holding me back. So I recently finished building a computer and installed everything, computer is working great and all, but the pump for the liquid cooler is making a weird noise that i dont know what it is, it's kind of concerning, does anyone know what this is? It's almost like it briefly pumps then stops over and over.

This is what it looks like in iCue.

https://i.imgur.com/J3HNsZQ.png

And this is what it sounds like.

[ame]

[/ame]

Does anyone know what this is? Should I be concerned? It's not loud enough to be an annoyance but it's often enough that I cant help but wonder if something is wrong.

I am having a hard time picking up the underlying sounds. If there is an actual physical problem you would likely see RPM drops or pulses. It is very normal for the Pro series coolers to move in +-30 rpm increments. The revolutions are sampled, rounded, and multiplied out to get that number. However, immediate drops of 90-120-150 rpm are not normal.

All pumps do have some rhythmic pulsing hum to them native to their control method. However, you would need to be pretty sensitive to notice it without actively sticking your ear next to it. It should be covered by base level fan noise.

Can you add any description to what you are hearing?

It's hard to describe any better than that but from what you've told me it sounds like the behavior is normal. I'm new to liquid cooling so it very well could just be my inexperience. It frequently hovers around 1020rpm and briefly shoots up to 1050 for a second then back down to 1020, and makes a sort of pumping sound when doing that. I know the video is pretty quiet but if you turn up your sound it should be pretty clear

1020 and 1050 is a tiny bit low for the Quiet pump speed. You also shouldn’t be able to hear a thing at that level.

Try setting it to Balanced (~2160 rpm) and Extreme (~2850). That will be audible, but if there is a mechanical problem, it should be amplified and noticeably change with speed.