Corsair Community

Ga ep45-ds3 & 1twin2x4096-8500c5df g

kesda

Hi,

I have got a few questions and hope you can help me.

I have just built a PC with a Q6600 G0 SLACR CPU, GA EP45-DS3 & TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF G Seagate 500GB HD, Palit 8800GT GPU. All drivers have been updated to the latest versions.

System works fine as is.

1. The CORSAIR memory configurator reports that the GA EP45-DS3 & 1TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF are compatible I am just wondering what the "G" after the C5DF means? and if it is also compatible also?

2. Both CPU-Z 1.49 and ET6 reports the Max Bandwidth as PC2-6400 (400MHz) - see attachment. Is this a constraint of the motherboard or do I have to do some tweaking to get it run at 8500? The voltage has been set to 2.1V as per memory spec, timings to 5-5-5-15 and the PCIe bus to 100.

3, When I go to the BIOS or from ET6->CIA2 and set the level to any level other than disable, e.g. Cruise, the PC freezes. My understanding is that Cruise is a very low overclock. I have been in touch with the Gigabyte support team and they have asked me to contact CORSAIR to confirm the compatibility.

Other tests they have asked me to try include

- changing the SPD to 4.00C - still freezes

- disabling the E1ST, C1E - still freezes

- testing the RAM modules one at a time, swapping them around, putting them in different slots. - still freezes

- ovberclocking via the BIOS, manually and thru CIA2 -same results, still freezes or a failure to boot properly.

In the last post, Gigabyte support have asked me to flash the BIOS with the BIOS R10 of another motherboard, the GA EP45-DS3R. i guess there should not really be a problem with that as both MB are architecturally the same but thought I check out the RAM compatibilty issue/settings with you first.

I have read that the GA EP45-DS3 MB is not a very good overclocker but even at low overclocking, it freezes. Wondering if it has anything to do with RAM compatibility or settings?

I have also ran MEMTEST86 on the RAM chips and they tested out ok.

Any suggestions, feedback would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help

Kheong

976624544_CPU-ZMemory.png.97138222b581b6f4decc8fefa6581a15.png

• Corsair Employee

1. The CORSAIR memory configurator reports that the GA EP45-DS3 & 1TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF are compatible I am just wondering what the "G" after the C5DF means? and if it is also compatible also?

A: The "G" is not part of the part number and just means it is RHOS compliant to be sold in Europe,

2. Both CPU-Z 1.49 and ET6 reports the Max Bandwidth as PC2-6400 (400MHz) - see attachment. Is this a constraint of the motherboard or do I have to do some tweaking to get it run at 8500? The voltage has been set to 2.1V as per memory spec, timings to 5-5-5-15 and the PCIe bus to 100.

A: This has been posted many times and is explained in Dominator Qualifications and Testing! but in a nut shell the modules SPD has to be something the MB can post at with default settings and th tested settings would need to be manually set unless you have a MB that supports EPP Profiles.

3, When I go to the BIOS or from ET6->CIA2 and set the level to any level other than disable, e.g. Cruise, the PC freezes. My understanding is that Cruise is a very low overclock. I have been in touch with the Gigabyte support team and they have asked me to contact CORSAIR to confirm the compatibility.

Other tests they have asked me to try include

- changing the SPD to 4.00C - still freezes

- disabling the E1ST, C1E - still freezes

- testing the RAM modules one at a time, swapping them around, putting them in different slots. - still freezes

- ovberclocking via the BIOS, manually and thru CIA2 -same results, still freezes or a failure to boot properly.

A: All over clocking should be done manually and the tested settings would or should be set manually and if you want to use the automaic over clocking I would suggest leaving the memory timings set to By SPD and set the memory voltage to +.3 Volts.

The memory modules are indeed compatible but with the CPU you have you may need to run the memory at DDR800 and over clock the CPU to get the full speed.

Ok,

I finally managed to understand more on how over-clocking works.

I over-clocked my Q6600 to 3.0 GHz by setting the FSB to 1333 and changed the SPD so that the memory ran at 667, 800 and 1066. The system seem to work fine though I will need to run more tests and keep an eye on the CPU core temperatures. Probably need to get an aftermarket cpu cooler.

I have a few questions on the TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF RAM transfer speeds.

Q1: The Dominator TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF is spec at 8,500 MB/s. Is that per channel?

Memtest86 reports the following results:-

FSB..........CPU(Ghz)...RAM........TFR speed (MB/s)........FSB:DRAM (CPU-Z)

1333........3.0............667.........4,185........................1:1

1333........3.0............800.........4,682........................3:2

1333........3.0............1066........5,323........................5:8

1066........2.4............1066........4,463........................1:2..............(no overclocking)

Q2: Does it mean that if I run the FSB@1333 and RAM at 1066, due to the ratio of the FSB:DRAM 5:8, the delays in servicing a fetch from DRAM will result in a max tfr rate of 5323MB/sec? per channel? i.e. I will never get the max tfr rate of 8500 with my setup

Q3: With the Dual Channel however, does it also mean that I get an effective tfr rate of 10,646 or will it be less due to the FSB settings(i.e. 1333)?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Archived