Corsair Community

H110 pwm fans on 3-pin headers

yahaway

So my msi board has a pretty standard fan header setup: 1 pwn CPU_Fan header and 4 standard 3-pin CHA_fan headers. The H110 has a 3-pin pump cable (which I assume goes into my pwn CPU header) and two 140mm pwn fans with 4 pins. So can I safely assume that the two pwm fans will still go into the 3-pin headers? The H110 pump will run at a constant rpm since it's not a pwn connector...even though the cpu header IS? Or do I need to make some changes in BIOS? And what of these two pwn fans?? Will they still work attached to 3-pin headers? Will they run efficiently enough that way? Would a better alternative be to replace the fans with AF 140's since those atleast ARE 3-pin cables? Yeah, I know they are not "meant" for rad cooling. But if they are better than trying to use stock pwn fans in a 3-pin header than would it be worth it anyway? OR does the h110 pump have pwn connectors on the pump itself like the H100i?

Sorry for getting a little nutty with the questions but NON of my idiot friends are pc builders. And thank you in advance!

The H110 has a 3-pin pump cable (which I assume goes into my pwn CPU header) and two 140mm pwn fans with 4 pins. So can I safely assume that the two pwm fans will still go into the 3-pin headers?

The fans should be connected to the pump head itself. You can hook the fans to a three pin header, but you will not have any control over them . That goes for any other PWM fan too.

The pump head is a PWM controller. and it is best to just connect them there.

So it IS like the h100i in that regard...huh. Well that's a relief. And it leaves me with one free header. Thank you bc my last alternative was to try and fit a sp120 onto a xigmatech dark knight and I'm yammering on again. Okay, thanks!!

The fans should be connected to the pump head itself. You can hook the fans to a three pin header, but you will not have any control over them . That goes for any other PWM fan too.

The pump head is a PWM controller. and it is best to just connect them there.

no!!!! H110 has no pwm control inside the pump head!:eek: ....the only cable exit there is a 3-pin cable for the pump supply itself.

Please connect to a mainboard header or to a fan controller and keep them to the minimum ;):

Thank you for clarifying. And I assume you mean "keeping the fans to a minimum" via BIOS settings or a voltage "step-down" adapter? Yeah after thinking it over, it's probably not a good idea to run your two most IMPORTANT fans with the wrong header.

At this point I've decided to go with a traditional air cooling unit. So this valuable info you are providing is more for others who have 3-pin cha_fans and want the 280mm rad.

Personally, I don't feel like there's enough measured WARNING for customers like me. Many fx boards have the same fan header set up as I do. I'm fine...I did the research BEFORE making the mistake and blowing $120. How many others had to scramble to find adapters (or God forbid...a fan controller) before they could finish their builds?

Corsair makes great products across a wide spectrum. And you can see my appreciation from my "build list" drop down. I would have LOVED having that fat 280mm radiator hover above my motherboard like a boss. But until they offer alternative 140mm SP NON-PWN fans it looks like I'll have to make do with something else. Looks like others will, too.

So my msi board has a pretty standard fan header setup: 1 pwn CPU_Fan header and 4 standard 3-pin CHA_fan headers. The H110 has a 3-pin pump cable (which I assume goes into my pwn CPU header) and two 140mm pwn fans with 4 pins.

You want to take the two 4-pin fan cables and plug them into a Y-Cable and then into your CPUFAN header. CPUFAN supports fan control. You can install the Control Center utility that will automatically control the CPU fan speed according to the actual CPU temperature. Plug the H110 pump's 3-pin cable into either SYSFAN1 or SYSFAN2 where it will receive constant 12V power from the motherboard. (These terms are based on your MSI 990FXA GD80V2.)

Here is a link to a suitable Y-Cable for your fans if you need to buy one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812718001

Yeah, I had been looking at that fat black beautiful y-cable for the last week. Again though, I decided on the Xigmatek Dark Knight II and swap the crappy led fan for a Corsair sp120 (want to match my upgraded case fans). So this great info you are providing is for others who are more determined on a H110. I wasted a week trying to find out what I eventually came here and found out within hours. That's something to be said about this forum and you all! I owe you 1000 internets. Would like to either bump this thread a few more times or better yet sticky it. Good Good info for a lot of people!!!

Archived