The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Link

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 01-30-2016, 12:14 PM
JohnOrion's PC Specs

POST ID # = 834076
JohnOrion Reputation: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmondude View Post
Hi I just went through this exact situation. .
Yeah for me I ended up reinstalling the 3 version then used IOBit Uninstaller (also free) and did a search for Corsair, then uninstalled the 3 items it found and ran the "powerful scan" option to delete all the reg entries and left over files. Then I was able to install 4

Old 01-30-2016, 12:57 PM
JohnOrion's PC Specs

POST ID # = 834082
Default OK now its the 5th time reporting this error ... ever since 2.7

Well, we have a new interface that doesn't look too bad but still after yet another full revamp of the UI the sleep feature doesn't work properly.

Now I have to jump through even more hoops .. now I can't just launch the program via the tray icon ... it will not set the fan to the 40% like it is set too. I now have to change the profile to one of the included ones then change it back to my 40% fan profile to get the fan to actually spin up to what it is set for. This can be done through the tray icon or the main window.

Just having it running in the tray will not reset the fan to "fixed 40%" like it is set to... it defaults to the 0 rpm fan which, with the design flaw in the AX series PSUs, causes the fan to spin erratically.

So now ... I think it's 5 versions that I have mentioned this problem with, 3 different UI's and still the problem exists and now it takes even more steps to fix it.

Great new version...
  1. Horrible messy install process (no built in uninstall of old version to new version/made to manually uninstall and as noted here, seems to not uninstall properly)
  2. make it even harder to get it to work with your product
  3. take away features like logging power usage and viewing min/max for your power usage
If you want to see your power usage while in a full screen app... better hope you have dual monitors and can run this program on the other monitor so you can actually see the information.

AGAIN I BEG OF YOU.... please make your API available to 3rd parties so someone who knows what they are doing can access and control the PSU hardware. I really want something that works and sorry to say ... you have proven over and over again that you have no idea how to write software for your hardware... please allow someone who does a crack at it.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:17 PM
ERGaming's PC Specs

POST ID # = 834085
ERGaming Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmondude View Post
Hi I just went through this exact situation. Made an RMA to ask Corsair themselves.
THE FIX was to install the old one again, then uninstall it using REVO Uninstaller (free), select advanced method and run, select 'reboot later to all' when prompted, including doing all this for the two component drivers. Then Reboot.
Then run CCleaner registry fix. Then Reboot.

Corsair Link 4 should now install. It did for me.
But my H100i pump LED has not worked since the old CL version updated the pumps firmware and there is no way to do this again or roll back to previous.

For such a renowned hardware company, Corsair really do make some ****ty software don't they! The install process should automatically take care of all this 'tidying up' for you. What a mess.
Thanks! This worked!!! :D

Old 01-30-2016, 02:45 PM
JohnOrion's PC Specs

POST ID # = 834092
Default For anyone else using sleep and having issues with Link

Well .. after many requests to fix the program failed. I finally decided to make a workaround for it.

I was able to get Corsair Link to set my fan properly by creating a batch file that kills CorsairLink4.exe and CorsairLink4.Service.exe then launches "C:\Program Files (x86)\CorsairLink4\CorsairLink4.exe" -startup

Then I created a custom task running with highest privileges that runs that batch file when the computer wakes from sleep.

This closes Link and starts it again and the fan works when the program is started (as in a reboot or if I manually closed the program and started it again)

I wont bother posting how to create the task unless someone asks since it is a lot of steps.

This workaround finally allows my AXi power supply to work properly when coming out of sleep though it does put an extra Corsair icon in the tray that goes away when you hover across it. (when you kill the original process the icon doesn't disappear from the tray until you mouse over it)

Old 01-30-2016, 04:32 PM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 834104
red-ray Reputation: 81
Thumbs down Use sc stop CLink4Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnOrion View Post
a batch file that kills CorsairLink4.Service.exe
I advise others not to kill the CLink4Service service, but rather to do sc stop CLink4Service to do a controlled stop.

By killing the service the motherboard sensors could be left in an inappropriate state, typically set to the incorrect bank. There could be other issues.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:55 PM
JohnOrion's PC Specs

POST ID # = 834155

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-ray View Post
I advise others not to kill the CLink4Service service, but rather to do sc stop CLink4Service to do a controlled stop.
Thank you for clarifying .. I guess I should have posted my batch file so there wouldn't be a misunderstanding... Yes .. when I said kill I meant using taskkill to kill CorsairLink4.exe and sc stop to "kill" the CorsairLink4.Service.exe. I guess I should have worded it as
Quote:
I was able to get Corsair Link to set my fan properly by creating a batch file that kills CorsairLink4.exe and stops the CLink4Service then launches "C:\Program Files (x86)\CorsairLink4\CorsairLink4.exe" -startup

hey look .. I replied without jumping all over you because I wasn't clear with what I said as you did when I tried to clarify something you said and I will take your advice. If I ever have to tell this to anyone else I will now use "kills CorsairLink4.exe and stops the CLink4Service" rather than "kills CorsairLink4.exe and CorsairLink4.Service.exe" instead of telling you that it's my terms (way of wording things) and if they don't understand it's their fault and shouldn't be using my workaround. I guess I should also clarify that the -startup switch is to keep it from launching the main window when the program is started since I wasn't clear about that either.

I'm sure that if we wanted to be technical, there is probably a way to close the CorsairLink4.exe without force killing it but this is just a quick and dirty workaround.

But also remember that we are on the Corsair Link forum and not everyone will be so technologically educated as you and will probably ask how I did it if they want or need to do it themselves. At that time I would have posted the batch file and steps to create a custom task that will launch the batch file when the computer wakes from sleep.

Last edited by JohnOrion; 01-30-2016 at 10:04 PM.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:37 PM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 834158
red-ray Reputation: 81
Arrow I feel a good solution would need a program

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnOrion View Post
I'm sure that if we wanted to be technical, there is probably a way to close the CorsairLink4.exe without force killing it but this is just a quick and dirty workaround.
It's all too easy for a post to be read other than you meant. The same is also true of PMs. I have also found that many who read "kill CorsairLink4.Service.exe" will think it's in general OK to do this. This is why I decided to post.

I tend to feel "quick and dirty workarounds" cause more issues then they solve and posting the .BAT file just after developing it would be unwise.

Were I to implement this I would use Spy++ to figure out which message I needed to send to CorsairLink4.exe (CL4) to do a Right/Click Exit. I would then have a program that processed the power notification messages, when appropriate send the exit message, wait for the service to stop, wait a while (about 30 seconds after the notification) and then start CL4.

The best solution would be for Corsair to "get their act together".

Last edited by red-ray; 01-30-2016 at 10:46 PM.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:59 PM
smackhisface's PC Specs

POST ID # = 834163
smackhisface Reputation: 10

Hi so I uninstalled corsair link, used CCleaner, and deleted every corsair thing I could find but Corsair link 4.2 still says I have corsair link installed and must uninstall it before installing 4.2. Anyone have a fix?

Old 01-31-2016, 12:34 AM
JohnOrion's PC Specs

POST ID # = 834166

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-ray View Post
It's all too easy for a post to be read other than you meant. The same is also true of PMs. I have also found that many who read "kill CorsairLink4.Service.exe" will think it's in general OK to do this. This is why I decided to post.
Yeah I agree with you there.. I was lazy and just said kill them both instead of actually saying that I killed Link and stopped the service. It can be misunderstood and it did need to be clarified.

I could actually and pretty easily create an exe using AutoIt to close Corsair Link without actually having to use the taskkill command... I could use AutoIt to create a program that will stop the service and shut down Link. It is pretty easy to make a script then make an exe out of it. I may do that. It would be cleaner because it would close Link so the icon "residue" wouldn't stay in the tray until you moused over it.

lol not sure why I didn't do that in the first place .. not much more "scripting" than writing the batch file. It just popped into my head .. I have used it to close other programs and hide programs that didn't have the ability. It would work perfectly for this situation.

Welp.... Now I'm going to go do that

Old 01-31-2016, 12:41 AM
JohnOrion's PC Specs

POST ID # = 834168

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackhisface View Post
Hi so I uninstalled corsair link, used CCleaner, and deleted every corsair thing I could find but Corsair link 4.2 still says I have corsair link installed and must uninstall it before installing 4.2. Anyone have a fix?
Here is what I and others have tried ... reinstall the version 3 and get a free uninstaller like IOBit Uninstaller (using Powerful Scan) or REVO Uninstaller (using Advanced Method) and make sure that you uninstall all 3 items that Link installs and its left over files and reg entries.

Using the uninstallers seems to work for most but again there are 3 things that the Link v3 installs and if you only uninstall Link it doesn't uninstall the other two.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:19 AM

POST ID # = 834173
cadmonkey Reputation: 10

I finally got link 4 installed after the please uninstall 3 bug.
What a disappointment!
My D5 pump has fully disappeared, although I think it's an issue with the X99 and EK D5 pumps and strong vs weak pullups, but I'd hoped the commander mini would bypass that issue.
The other really bad thing is I'm getting surging fan speeds on every fan and every profile except fixed revs.

So we've waited for months if not years and all we're getting is a pretty new interface.
All the old problems remain.

I love Corsair hardware but I have to say, the software engineers all need sacking. Truly pathetic effort, less than 1 out of 10

The only value my commander mini has now is to drive the pretty lights.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:18 AM

POST ID # = 834174
sparrow_blaise Reputation: 10

FAN SPEED BELOW 500 RPM

Does anyone know where is the feature to change the speed of fans below 40% OR under 500rpm
In version 4.2.0.162 It's gone
Can no longer change the fan speed under 500 RPM

In previous versions of CL I could change it down to 250rpm and now the feature is gone
The lowest it allows me now is 500rpm and even that goes to 530rpm
(REASON:I have to keep my PC ON at night)

I have some really expensive fans from Noctua NF-A14 AND NF-A15
This was the only reason I bought them for silence
AND
It's the only reason I've bought Corsair Link Commander for PWM Control

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!
AND
NOW IT DOESN'T!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE WTF is Corsair doing?
Fixing what wasn't broken in the first place??????????
WTF
I'm so angry

Please anyone knowing how to fix this, LET ME KNOW PLEASE
I appreciate your help guys

Last edited by sparrow_blaise; 01-31-2016 at 02:21 AM.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:27 AM
JohnOrion's PC Specs

POST ID # = 834175

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow_blaise View Post
FAN SPEED BELOW 500 RPM

Does anyone know where is the feature to change the speed of fans below 40% OR under 500rpm
This seems to be a standard among hardware manufacturers. It seems that they don't feel we are capable enough to see if the fan is not spinning because we set the rpms too low.

Unfortunately for us, some fans will stop if run below 40% which is why most hardware manufacturers use that 'cut off'

I also have noctua fans (7 of them) in my system. I use my motherboard's fan headers to run them and since Asus is just like Corsair and you can't set the fans lower than 40% I use speedfan to control them.

You can't use speedfan with Corsair tho because Corsair will not release their API so that people who know what they are doing can make things work. I hear that SIV will work with the Corsair Link Commander and can be set with lower fan speeds but it isn't a "simple" program and there may be a bit of a learning curve.

I have a AX760i PSU and have to have Link to control the fan in that but it is the only thing I use the software for and I had to create my own program to get Link to even work properly with my PSU because it seems to have issues with keeping the "fixed 40%" profile active when I come out of sleep.

You got lucky that you were able to set the fans lower than 40% in previous versions .. the PSU fan was always set to 40% as the lowest setting available since version 2.7

If the older version worked .. you might as well just remove the newer version and go back to the old one. Then wait until they release another version or two and try it again to see if they got their head out of their asses and finally fixed their program.

Last edited by JohnOrion; 01-31-2016 at 03:33 AM.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:40 AM
frankie70's PC Specs

POST ID # = 834180
frankie70 Reputation: 10

Why now this new version is not compatible with my old commander unit and H100? :-(

Old 01-31-2016, 04:47 AM

POST ID # = 834182
sparrow_blaise Reputation: 10
Default Wake up corsair

Yea

Thanks for Caring AND sharing your knowledge with me
I Wish Corsair would do the same and make it right

At least we can spread the word SO they will consider it

You know they could build a warning function called e.g. "ADVANCED" and implement it this way, for those users knowing what they're doing

Anyway thanks for Caring
OH I really wish I could say the same about Corsair
!!!WAKE UP CORSAIR!!!

Closed Thread