The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Link

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 83 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 08-09-2015, 02:37 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 794731
red-ray Reputation: 81
Question Ask Corsair

Quote:
Originally Posted by poee View Post
Do settings in CL take effect even when the CL application is not running? Is it only to be run to change settings or is there a purpose in keeping it running all the time? If uninstalled, will the H100i still operate properly? Will it change fan/pump speeds based on temp without CL installed? (I apologize for all the noob questions.)
As I did not write CL and only use it to update firmware you need to ask Corsair what their software does. I tried asking to no avail and was told CL users did not need to know this. I also posted http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140895 and have noticed others ask similar questions. Looking at http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=793290 you will see Corsair don't have the H100i firmware source and suspect they may not know.

I think I have deduced what happens and it all depends on how you have the H100i setup. My advice is to leave SIV running and let it automatically take care of this.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:41 AM
poee's PC Specs

POST ID # = 794752
poee Reputation: 10

Thanks for all the info! I've got beta 5.02 running and I found the Link Fans window. I have no idea what to do here, many of the values are grayed-out and cannot be changed (like fan speeds in the curve points are all zero). How do I tell it to take control of the H100i, and how do I adjust the fan speeds? Is the "default" setup within the firmware?

Btw, it says there is are "issues" with the firmware. Should I downgrade it? I have the latest firmware installed, 1.1.03. What is the preferred version?

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-09-2015, 04:53 AM
poee's PC Specs

POST ID # = 794759

I tried to locate [Qualifiers] to no avail. It is not in the About menu of the 5.02 beta (X64) I have installed.

However, I have successfully used the SIVDEF.ini to enable -AIOCTL and -SINGLE. Thanks!

Old 08-09-2015, 05:09 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 794763
Idea Computers are good at doing sums

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-ray View Post
I too am wondering what the upper limit is, give me a few days and I will answer. I suspect at least 10 x CLCC, maybe more
I tried to work this out, but it's quite tricky and depends on many factors. In the end I gave up and added a new panel to SIV . There are no upper limits to the number of CL devices SIV can support and the only limiting factor is how much the worker thread can update in the update interval which is by default 2 seconds. What the panel does is report this for your current hardware and estimate the effect of adding more .

Below you can see SIV predicted the worker thread usage would go from 8% to 19%, but it was actually 21%, the difference is down to the different protocols used by different devices. In general the more extra devices you predict the less precise the prediction. I then upped the CLCCs to 16 and this looks to be OK . I feel 16 CLCCs should be enough .

If you run multiple programs to report the CL hardware they will all need to read the hardware, so less can be supported .

I also made the panel indicate what is supported by SIV .
Attached Images
File Type: png What SIV Predicted.png (48.6 KB, 1582 views)
File Type: png What Actually Happened.png (48.6 KB, 1062 views)
File Type: png What SIV Estimated for 4 x CLCC.png (48.8 KB, 1047 views)
File Type: png What SIV Reported for 4 x CLCC.png (48.9 KB, 1055 views)

Last edited by red-ray; 08-10-2015 at 08:56 AM. Reason: 4 x CLCC test results

Old 08-09-2015, 05:39 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 794775
Oops Corsair need to fix the firmware

Quote:
Thanks for all the info! I've got beta 5.02 running and I found the Link Fans window. I have no idea what to do here, many of the values are grayed-out and cannot be changed (like fan speeds in the curve points are all zero). How do I tell it to take control of the H100i, and how do I adjust the fan speeds? Is the "default" setup within the firmware?

Btw, it says there is are "issues" with the firmware. Should I downgrade it? I have the latest firmware installed, 1.1.03. What is the preferred version?
  1. Change the Fan Control mode and they will become available.
  2. Corsair need to fix the firmware . Press the button and it will take you to the post about this . When/if the issue is resolved I plan to update the panel to specify the minimum firmware release required .
  3. Well done for finding SIVDEF.ini, some found this too hard which is why I added the new panel. There is a button on the [About] panel.
Attached Images
File Type: png [About] - [Qualifiers].png (34.1 KB, 1085 views)

Last edited by red-ray; 08-09-2015 at 11:15 AM.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:41 AM
LicSqualo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 794776
LicSqualo Reputation: 32
Thumbs up I can estimate how much Corsair hardware can be supported now!

It's a great , thanks Ray!

So fast to apply!

Why do Corsair not specify this information?
Attached Images
File Type: png link limits.png (68.3 KB, 1110 views)

Last edited by LicSqualo; 08-10-2015 at 02:30 PM. Reason: lost in translation

Old 08-09-2015, 06:09 AM
LicSqualo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 794777
LicSqualo Reputation: 32
Big Grin How to use the SIV [Link Fans] panel

@ poee

0 = click to choice the source of Temperature probes

1 = select the fan control mode (Custom=6)

2 = modify your settings

3 = apply settings

4 = save settings (to the registry)

Choiced you preferred settings, SIV offer also a "copy" function, really nice (thanks to Ray)!

1 = select the source to be cloned

2 = clone by clicking to the choiced one fan

I think is much the same for the H100i you have; for the pump leave the settings on "Default"

Hope this help.
Attached Images
File Type: png link fans.png (150.6 KB, 1122 views)
File Type: png link fans clone.png (143.8 KB, 1118 views)

Last edited by LicSqualo; 08-10-2015 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Adding text and correction

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:13 AM

POST ID # = 794793
noir Reputation: 20

red btw is there a way to export and import settings, like if I wanted to format someday and didn't want to re-setup custom settings ...etc

also if you ever add in motherboard fan pwm control look into the ITE8720, I think it has two or three controllable fans. (currently only speedfan and HWMonitorPro support it)

Old 08-09-2015, 08:31 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 794798
Arrow Use REDEDIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir View Post
red btw is there a way to export and import settings, like if I wanted to format someday and didn't want to re-setup custom settings ...etc
I guess you could use REGEDIT to export/import HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SIV\ the tricky part would be the PnP IDs could change and you might need to adjust LINK-BID. If all the VID + PID are different SIV should sort this out all automatically when you run it, with ones that are the same the ordering may change and you would need to manually adjust it, which is what I do. If you compare before and after [Link Export] it should be easy to fix. Even if I added import/export to SIV getting import to do the correct thing would be tricky.

Unlike some software at least with SIV you don't have to set this up with every new release and the data is clear text .

Attached Images
File Type: png SIV [Link Export].png (54.2 KB, 1153 views)

Last edited by red-ray; 08-16-2015 at 05:19 PM. Reason: REGEDIT

Old 08-09-2015, 09:15 PM
poee's PC Specs

POST ID # = 794901

Thanks again, red-ray -- and thank you LicSqualo for the step-by-step.

Are the 'blobs' supposed to be pink or blue? Does this give any indication that SIV has control over the H100i (what do I look for?)

I set up the Task Scheduler to start SIV64X on logon of any user, as detailed in http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=793932. (I didn't use any arguments here because I have the SIVDEF.ini for that, right?)

Does SIV shut down completely when I hit the "OK" button, or close the windows? Does it continue to monitor temps and control fan speeds when the application is not open? I cannot find any reference to SIV in running background processes or services (does it use a different name?), and it only shows up in running applications when a window is open or minimized. Does this mean that I should only minimize the SIV window instead of clicking "OK"?

@red-ray, I found the [Qualifiers] section. I was being obtuse and looking for it in the About MENU when all I had to do was click on the About button to see it!

Old 08-10-2015, 01:40 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 794927
Arrow Good Question. Yes and no! -TRAY controls this

Quote:
Does SIV shut down completely when I hit the "OK" button, or close the windows? Does it continue to monitor temps and control fan speeds when the application is not open? I cannot find any reference to SIV in running background processes or services (does it use a different name?), and it only shows up in running applications when a window is open or minimized. Does this mean that I should only minimize the SIV window instead of clicking "OK"?
  1. They should be Hot Pink, Dodger Blue -> -NOAIOCTL mode and Hot Pink -> -AIOCTL mode. I did this to make it clear which mode SIV is running in (color= has limited colours).
  2. By default SIV will exit when you press [ OK ]. If you specify -TRAY SIV will start minimised to the icon tray and pressing [ OK ] will just minimise SIV. To exit you need to do Menu->Exit SIV.
  3. SIV needs to be running and I suspect you should use -TRAY mode. SIV is just one process and there is no background service, though there is the kernel mode SIV Driver.
  4. If you setup SIVDEF.ini or SIV Qualifiers you probably don't need them in Task Scheduler, though in time you may wish to have them. Check the [About] panel to ensure they are what you expect.
  5. Thank you to Lic. Note that most of the blobs have Tool Tips. I choose to run multiple instances of SIV only one of which should use -AIOCTL mode hence the Dodger Blue blobs below.
  6. Use Menu->Tools->Configure->SIV Qualifiers to set -AIOCTL + -SINGLE, have you found Menu->Edit->View Menus? The SIV menus are quite extensive. The Link panels are in Menu->Tools->Link ..., I tend to use the [Status|▼] dropdown.
  7. I think I have covered everything and you seem to have the H100i setup sensibly. Please post any other issues or concerns.

If Corsair get the CL4 design right (as I would design it) they will have a Windows Service to control the CL hardware and a GUI that can be exited, ideally the GUI would not need to be "run as admin". As SIV is a 3rd party utility this is not an appropriate design for SIV.

Corsair, where is the full list of color= colours specified please?
Attached Images
File Type: png [Link Fans] Tool Tips.png (75.4 KB, 1103 views)

Last edited by red-ray; 01-23-2016 at 07:21 PM. Reason: ▼

Old 08-10-2015, 02:47 AM
poee's PC Specs

POST ID # = 794933

I really appreciate all your time, red-ray!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:19 AM
Coco-Ta's PC Specs

POST ID # = 794958
Coco-Ta Reputation: 10

Hello, Red-Ray,

I wanted to private message you but as it is not an option I will ask my doubts here (I think that they have no good ending answers by now, though).

I use "CL" 3.2.5676 and now 1300rpm is minimum for H100i GTX fans. I use MSI Afterburner and HWInfo 64 to get readings in system tray and OSD for 3D.

So, as Asetek's issues and CL, I think that using you SIV would not get me to:

1) control H100i GTX fans
2) I should have to remove CL (I'll do it as by now it gives me almost nothing but a screnshot of the inside of my case with a few sometimes going wrong measures and almost no control at all on what I only need from CL: control H100i GTX pump/fans related to CPU/coolant temperature. So, should I ahve to uninstall it to work with SIV?
3) As far as I see, HWInfo 64 can be with your SIV but, Afterburner?

I just need something to control the CPU cooler, I have readings, control of all other devices.

Thank you for your job.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:36 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 795222
Arrow Corsair RMi Series PSU Reporting

When I added RMi PSU support to SIV I decided to report three temperatures knowing it would be easy to reduce this to two. Looking at http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=794964 the RM750i only reports two. If you have any other model of C-Link attached RMi PSU please will you tell be how many are reported by SIV 5.01? A value of -0.5°C is reported when there is no sensor. I have changed SIV 5.02 Beta-23 to only report two temperatures for all RMi PSUs, but am wondering if the RM1000i reports three.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:05 PM
Coco-Ta's PC Specs

POST ID # = 795266
Coco-Ta Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco-Ta View Post
Hello, Red-Ray,

I wanted to private message you but as it is not an option I will ask my doubts here (I think that they have no good ending answers by now, though).

I use "CL" 3.2.5676 and now 1300rpm is minimum for H100i GTX fans. I use MSI Afterburner and HWInfo 64 to get readings in system tray and OSD for 3D.

So, as Asetek's issues and CL, I think that using you SIV would not get me to:

1) control H100i GTX fans
2) I should have to remove CL (I'll do it as by now it gives me almost nothing but a screnshot of the inside of my case with a few sometimes going wrong measures and almost no control at all on what I only need from CL: control H100i GTX pump/fans related to CPU/coolant temperature. So, should I ahve to uninstall it to work with SIV?
3) As far as I see, HWInfo 64 can be with your SIV but, Afterburner?

I just need something to control the CPU cooler, I have readings, control of all other devices.

Thank you for your job.
  1. All can be sumarized in: Is there any known in Earth way to get a 100i GTX cooler "CONTROLLED" by any software nowadays? I know CL DOES NOT. And I think as per your first post on this thread SIV is neither able to, right?
  2. In the case SIV could control in any way (at least use those "default"/"quiet"/"balanced"/"performance" or manuals or whatever) the fans/pump, would I need to keep CL in my system?
  3. Would it work with MSI Afterburner and HWInfo 64 AT THE SAME TIME?

Thanks.

Last edited by Coco-Ta; 08-11-2015 at 01:08 PM.

Closed Thread