The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Link

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 252 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 03:51 AM
GuiltyPixel's PC Specs

POST ID # = 664692
GuiltyPixel Reputation: 10

CFSWorks, you're a hero. I thought about sniffing USB data via a Windows VM earlier, but instead I threw the whole link system in the trash yesterday... better grab it before the trash trucks show up. I look forward to writing software to control this thing but I don't do Linux drivers. We could do so much, if only we could ditch the Link software.

Q for the engineers: Why didn't you include non-volatile memory on the Link Lighting so my rig won't default to Christmas tree colors when it boots? I can't sell PCs with this product included, it comes off as unfinished. An SDK isn't going to cut it with most folks I think, perhaps you should acquire rights to the source code, or write your own. I smell a bad investment otherwise.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:17 PM
MarkSix's PC Specs

POST ID # = 664851
MarkSix Reputation: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to MarkSix

Nice work CFSworks. With the current software from Corsair the hardware is pretty useless.
It would be nice if Corsair could release the protocol specifications.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:30 AM
CFSworks's PC Specs

POST ID # = 664943
CFSworks Reputation: 13

Wow, I actually have people registering on the forum to thank me. Never had that happen before... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyPixel View Post
I look forward to writing software to control this thing but I don't do Linux drivers.
The really lazy way to interface with the Corsair Link, which I have been using, is to look for the /dev/hidraw# device file associated with it and use Python (or the scripting language of your choice) to open it and send/receive HID messages. As long as the reads and writes are exactly 64 bytes each, you should be good to go. If you screw up, the device will reset itself and you'll have to reopen the hidraw.

That said, I'm really curious to know how much of this works across all Link devices, so please let me know how it goes! I'm especially eager to know the contents of your 00, 01, 02, 05, 0d, and 11 registers. :D

Last edited by CFSworks; 07-15-2013 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Better diction

Old 07-15-2013, 01:44 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 665009
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

CFSworks,
First thank you for taking the time to create this post and report what you found so far. There are some issues as mentioned previously about releasing the source code. Honestly, we wanted to have the source code available a long time ago for this purpose but that was just not an option for the current product. We will get with the Product Manager and see what information can be released but as far as I know we are not allowed to release any source code at this time due to other agreements.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:38 PM
CFSworks's PC Specs

POST ID # = 665020
CFSworks Reputation: 13

Thanks, RAM GUY! Although, as helpful as having source code (to either the software or firmware) would be, I understand completely if that's not available. In that case, the biggest help would be if someone at Corsair could go over my post and either confirm or correct it.

Particularly, I'd like to know the secret behind those ID numbers (in registers 00 and 01), what those unused registers do (are they reserved?), and what fan attribute is being measured by 0x17.

Thanks again!

Old 07-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 665191

I cant get into much detail but what you have listed is basic USB protocols and can be found on line. What we cant release is the specific Code or registers for the Link products which is what you are asking for but with a little trail and error you might be able to figure most of it out. Cool Guy is aware and cannot comment but he will when he has some time do what he can but we are strictly limited as to what we can say.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:34 AM
jameslr's PC Specs

POST ID # = 666099
jameslr Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyPixel View Post
I threw the whole link system in the trash yesterday... better grab it before the trash trucks show up.
If you decide you don't want it let me know and I'll take it off your hands. I'll pay shipping of course

Old 08-06-2013, 08:27 PM
PJSingh5000's PC Specs

POST ID # = 668817
PJSingh5000 Reputation: 10

Just registered to keep an eye on this thread and to add my voice as a Linux H80i user.

CFSWorks, keep up the good work!

Old 08-09-2013, 10:32 AM

POST ID # = 669221
9d3e40a4 Reputation: 10

Hey, write a Windows version, too! Just a tiny little efficient (command-line?) app that could be run as a background service - no frills necessary. Throw in SNMP support too for nice, useful MRTG/RRDTool-esque long-term graphing capabilities on the status of my fancy AXi PSU.

*Well, I can dream, can't I?*

Old 08-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Grimeh's PC Specs

POST ID # = 670446
Grimeh Reputation: 10

Has any progress been made on the driver or potential release of the protocol information?
I'd love to dual boot windows 7 (maybe 8 soon), and Ubuntu for software development purposes (especially when it comes to graphics programming), but am hesitant to because there isn't any support from Corsair for Linux yet.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:17 AM
`~~`
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 670453
wytnyt wytnyt Reputation: 159
Send a message via ICQ to wytnyt Send a message via AIM to wytnyt Send a message via Yahoo to wytnyt Send a message via Skype™ to wytnyt

its Corsair policy not to release a estimated eta or possible decision or release date or time frame,only after its released will notice be given unfortunately...

Old 08-26-2013, 08:54 PM

POST ID # = 671685
r_avital Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFSworks View Post
Wow, I actually have people registering on the forum to thank me. Never had that happen before... :)
Well, get used to it, bacause it's happening again, may you be blessed with long life!

And if you manage to work it out, please inform the Linux community if you could.

Good Luck!

Old 08-26-2013, 09:08 PM

POST ID # = 671686
r_avital Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
I cant get into much detail...but we are strictly limited as to what we can say.
RAM GUY,

I used to be a support engineer and have been in your shoes more times than I care to remember, so I understand your position perfectly.

The last time I heard from your product manager about this (Corsair George, I believe, is is user-name?), he gave some non-committal answers, misunderstood a question as a complaint, and (almost angrily) closed the thread.

That was back in June 2011. It's been two years. I know your constraints have not changed, and I'm not complaining about that.

I registered today for two purposes. One, was to thank CFSworks, above, for his work.

The second, is to ask you to "intimate" to management, that the money of Linux users is just as green as anyone else's, and many of us are tired of being dismissed as "all 31 of them."

Nobody is expecting Corsair to create the Linux-compatible software -- although, if you did, I guarantee you that Corsair would face no one's objection to disclose everything about it, down to the last semicolon in the code.

Nobody is expecting Corsair to violate agreements with other parties and divulge proprietary information. Nobody is even expecting "Free software" -- a frequent misrepresentation of Linux users. But we did pay the same price as everyone else, and many of us are sick and tired of this attitude.

If Corsair George had told us to go pound sand, at least it would have been honest.

Thank you.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 671775

r_avital
First thanks for adding your thoughts and comments and I cannot speak for George per say. But I can tell you that we would like to have this worked out a long time ago but because of License issues with the Code it was just not possible. So we as a company and we as Enthusiasts with in the company agree with you and want to share it for Open source Not only for Linux users but it would open it up to a wide verity of uses beyond just computers. So it is definitely something we want to do, however it has been more of a brick wall than we would have liked it to be.
And I dont think George meant anything personal when he closed the thread he just did not want it to explode into something else.
So if it came off that way I know that was not his intent and I apologize for that.
I cant make any promises as to what will happen in the future but we would like to be able to open this code up. And as far as I know we have been looking into that for future products but the resources have just not been there to develop our own code which is what will have to happen for us to be able to release an open source product.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Budget Overclocker
zen1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 673590
zen1 Reputation: 10

I'm glad to see this thread has some activity. I don't want to jump ship to a different solution but if I don't see a new more bug free software or even a kludge thrown together by one of these dedicated enthusiasts, I'm gonna have to abandon all my link gear. It is just getting ridiculous. I'm sorry I'm venting, but I know I'm not alone. I feel the more people speak out, the better the chances that the people at the top will get the point. I used to be a corsair fanboy, but no more. I'm not pointing fingers at the corsair reps that are actually communicating with us. I just wanted to voice my two cents as I'm frustrated. I've given the corsair link system 9 months to win me over, but it's just too buggy. If someone out there can throw together some homebrewed software, please post it here. I've tried multiple OSs, compatibility settings, fresh installs, workarounds posted in the forums; nothing has shone me a product that is worthy of being released to the public.
Sorry for the rant, I just needed to be heard and I want to promote this thread so that a solution can be found.