Corsair Community

I purchased the correct RAM upgrade, why isn't it working?

Moorgan

I have in my computer the default Samsung 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1066 MHz (PC3 8500) Laptop Memory. I purchased (from Amazon) Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1066 MHz (PC3 8500) Laptop Memory. I am using a mid-2009 MacBook Pro.

Apple does not divulge much about the components, I have searched for further information on my hardware but the best I can find is the Wikipedia article on MacBook Pro under mid-2009. Not all information is included on Wikipedia, there is no way for me to check what motherboard this computer uses, nor find out the volts of the RAM without dismantling my computer and looking up the parts.

When I install the RAM, the computer acts as though it is incompatible by not booting and making a shrilling beep 3 consecutive times repeatedly.

Thank you. I clicked on RMA Request on the left and registered an account there, logged in and changed my password but then the screen went blank. Going to the page and logging in again continues to result in an error message which reads:

"Error: Error occurred while loading a Visualforce page.

Please email us if you need to get in touch."

I clicked the link attached to "email us" and I've let them know the situation. Does this effect your instructions?

May I ask out of intellectual curiosity what the difference is between the two RAM? The specs look identical, I imagine its a programming thing. Are you allowed to give the specific details on what in the code allows one to work but not the other?

May I ask out of intellectual curiosity what the difference is between the two RAM? The specs look identical, I imagine its a programming thing. Are you allowed to give the specific details on what in the code allows one to work but not the other?

It boils down to the size of chips used to make the modules. The newer set you just bought is made from larger chips that your system can't see. The part RamGuy is asking you to order from them would be made from a smaller sized chips that would be compatible .

Okay, they never replied to my email but when I clicked the link a minute ago the page was working again. I tried to make an RMA request using that website and it kept automatically forwarding me to "ask a question" which had 2 extra fields, ticket name and ticket description, so I wrote in it my instructions from you Tech Guy. Hopefully they will send me an RMA... (whatever that is) And before May 9th when my return window closes.

Thank you Peanutz, that was very helpful. If anyone knows how to reprogram the motherboard to work with it that would be a bonus :)

Sorry I didn't list the part number, I didn't realize Corsair had more than one ram with those exact specs. I think RAM Guy guessed it, CM3X8GSDKIT1066. While it is compatible with my comps hardware, my comp just wasn't designed to be able to recognize it. That's Apple for you...

Thank you Peanutz, that was very helpful. If anyone knows how to reprogram the motherboard to work with it that would be a bonus :)

NP ! But,Sorry, thats pretty much impossible! It's a hardware limitation and something that can't be just reprogrammed.

I didn't realize Corsair had more than one ram with those exact specs. I think RAM Guy guessed it, CM3X8GSDKIT1066. While it is compatible with my comps hardware, my comp just wasn't designed to be able to recognize it. That's Apple for you...

Really it's not Apples fault or that Corsair has more than one part number with different specs. That kit was indeed compatible at one time when Corsair used to build the modules using 256mb IC's. But when the industry strarted using 512mb IC's the modules became incompatible with older machines such as yours , but are still compatible with the newer MACs.

Corsair has some of the older made modules that they keep on hand for situations like this but are not sold in the open anymore. This would be the reason they asked you to send them in for the correct version.

I know it's a sad issue, but support for the older comps is dwindling. It's not just Corsair but other manufacturers as well. The CPU in your LT is at least 4 generations older than the current CPU's. So manufacturers are focusing on what is current and also what is on the way and not really looking back. :)

They still sell both I just bought the wrong one.

http://www.corsair.com/cm3x8gsdkit1066.html

http://www.corsair.com/corsair-mac-memory-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-sodimm-memory-kit-cmsa8gx3m2a106c7.html

It looks like the Mac one is much cheaper too. I got mine from Amazon though, so it only cost me around $50 with tax and such.

I am certified in Digital Electronics (that's building circuit boards and programming microchips (in general, no PC focus), I have a few years of experience assembling PCs too) but I don't have a bachelors in Electronics Engineering so maybe this is one of those things I didn't learn. This comp has a 2.8 GHz (T9600) Intel Core 2 Duo Penryn with 6 MB on-chip L2 cache and a 1,066 MHz front side bus. It's designed to work with DDR3 SODIMM. So the question is, "Why exactly can't it recognize the different components used?"

To the extent of my knowledge regarding this, I know a machine wont work unless its programmed to work (including microchip programming; and I know the answer to why this is), and of course my computer is older so it would not be programmed to work with stuff designed after it was released. However I don't see/comprehend why the hardware on this comp is incapable of regulating power in and out of this RAM, assuming it was programmed to do so. What am I missing?

Of course, I don't know how microchips are manufactured, nor resistors, et cetera, that sort of thing wasn't covered in DE. So, perhaps the unknown factor involved is in how the microchip hardware behaves. As far as I was taught in DE the microchip does what it's told to do. The instructor never expressed differences in how microchips might react depending on their construction.

I apologize for putting you to so much trouble, but as this is my passion and part of my intended field (I am a student) I am quite interested to know everything that I don't know about it.

• Corsair Employee

I am sorry but maybe I was not clear I suggest you call our customer service by phone the number is listed under contact at http://www.corsair.com and if you are out side the USA you can call the toll free number using SKYPE.

Please use the link on the left and request an RMA and then once you have the RMA call our customer service by phone and request that they change it to CMSA8GX3M2A1066C7

Archived