Corsair Community

Coolant questions

will_s

Forgot to order coolant with my Hydro build so have some demineralized water ( instead of distilled water ) so would that be ok to check the system for leaks and get everything working and then flush out after a day or 2?

Can you use any brand coolant ( say the EK coolant ) with hydro X?

I have ordered some Corsair Hydro X Series XL5 Performance Coolant, 1000mL, Clear and would having a small amount of demineralized water still in the system after flushing have any effect? Basically will the Corsair coolant mix with whats left in the system?

Some brands sell additive dyes (versus premix). I haven't worked with them and can't give you a comparison on colors, etc. However, be aware whenever you introduce any colored coolant into the system, you have added another element that will leave its mark. Cleaning dye colors out of GPU blocks is not really a fun way to pass the time. Make sure you do your research and read user opinions on specific products. This adds a definite lifespan and added maintenance to the normal routine.

While colorful liquids and even some dyes definitely adds a charm to the loop, they also adds extras on their maintenance.

For plain distilled water, at a minimum a corrosion inhibitor is strongly suggested.

Unless you don't care about flushing and clearing your loop ever 6 months, I would stick with water.