Corsair Community

Force GT & Macbook Pro 5,1: EFI 1.8, but won't update SMC 1.2 & Hangs/Freezes

MountainMark

So, I was able to update my MBP5,1 to the latest EFI (EFI 1.8, Boot ROM Version:MBP51.007E.B05) from Apple for my computer, but the SMC won't update after downloading the installer directly from Apple.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237

The System Profiler shows the version I have is SMC 1.41f2 (Version 1.1) Apple's website said that there is an update to SMC 1.33f8 (Version 1.2). When I try to run the installer, I get an error saying that "This computer does not need this update".

I get freezes/hangs every about 4-5 per hour and sometimes more often (which means I shut down and then start back up). Regardless what I do it only connects at SATA1 1.5 Link Speed. The old Segate HD drive (I replaced with this ForceGT) ran at SATA2 3.0...

When hanging sometimes the sound keeps playing (from iTunes or internet) and the screen freezes and other times everything locks up and the rainbow spinner just keeps on spinnin. It usually comes back, but there have been a handful of time I have had to force shut down.

I have zapped PRAM, Repaired Disk Permissions, Reset the SMC (took out battery, etc.). I have partitioned the drive and used Bootcamp (which resulted in a lot of freezes and a subsequent reinitialization). So currently I am just using Lion 10.7.3.

When the ForceGT does work, it reads faster at SATA1 than my old Seagate HD connecting at SATA2... but the hangs and freezes are debilitating during everyday use, especially anything at work and my computer suddenly freezes and hangs for 30 seconds at what appears to be random intervals.

With that said, I can't recommend Corsair products because of the inconsistencies.

I have had this hard drive for about 2 months and have been mining like crazy for information, install techniques, maintenance (like TRIM Enablers), etc. If I can't get it to work, I am going to have to go back to the old HD and start spreading the word about how Corsair's "Mac Compatibility" doesn't actually exist with reasonable expectations.

PLEASE, HELP! THANKS!!!

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B05

SMC Version (system): 1.41f2

NVidia MCP79 AHCI:

Vendor: NVidia

Product: MCP79 AHCI

Link Speed: 3 Gigabit

Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit

Description: AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

Corsair Force GT:

Capacity: 120.03 GB (120,034,123,776 bytes)

Model: Corsair Force GT

Revision: 1.3.3

Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Native Command Queuing: Yes

Queue Depth: 32

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Medium Type: Solid State

TRIM Support: Yes

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Archived