Corsair Community

Just got Corsair Link kit - Issues with H80

Cougar281

I just got my Corsair Link kit delivered today. I started working with it and found that it was not detected with the v2.2.0 software. Did some reading and found the references to the v1.2 software needing to be run first in order to update it to the latest firmware so it would work with the v2.2.0 software. Since Win8 isn't 'supported', I threw another HDD in the machine and isntalled Win7 to make sure Win8 wouldn't brick the link module(s) and went through the procedure.

When I initailly started the app, I got a message prompting me to update my H80's firmware. When I clicked the “Check for Updates” button, it showed the cooling modules as 'up to date' (which they are not) and 'no information' on the H80.I found the Commander's firmware and applied it, after which the commander was not detected by the software (not a huge surprise). I removed the v1.2 software, rebooted and installed v2.2.0. Now the commander and modules are detected, however, here are the issues:

If I try to update firmware, the only devices I have in the dropdown are the commander and the H80.I did find a file posted by Toasted for the H80, but I got a message stating that 'The firmware file selected is not correct'.

The data being recieved from the H80 is... erratic... to say the least. I'ts showing the H80 pump at 0, H80 Temp 2 at ~436 (It's also set to 'device type: Power'). The H80's fans are all over the map; currently reading 0, but bouncing all over from inder 1k to over 7k; H80 Temp 1, 2 & 4 all read 0. As I type, the H80's fans are cycling between low and high.

I think that covers my issues for now...

Just to add... After getting the Link kits installed, I did some searching and it sounds like my H80 is doing the same thing as others have reported; It wounds like one fan is at a speed; not sure if it's 100% or lower, and the other is running at 100%, dropping speed for a fraction of a second, then spinning back up. When it drops speed, the 'person' on the CPU block lights for that fraction of a second.

I tried the FW reset pprocedures found here and nothing worked. When I held the button, the 'person' would light then the middle speed indicator would light. I also noted in the BIOS that the 'CPU Fan' (AKA pump) is being reported as going between 0RPM and 2000RPM, seemingly in sync with the fan speed changes.

Seems my H80 may have bought the farm... Man it's obnoxious....

Yes, that was one of the links I used from the beginning. Yes I had tried different ports, but not a cable dut to the... Challenge... changing that cable presents.

I was also having issues with some of the fans on one of the cooling modules not running.

After a bunch of messing around, it would seem I got (almost) everything working right and brought my H80 back from being brain dead.

The way I did it was with the V2 software, I flashed the v1.1.9 firmware back to the commander. Not surprisingly, it vanished from the v2 software. I then removed the software and all folders, rebooted and then installed the v1.2.7 software. That recognized the commander as well as all the modules. I then was able to flash the FW to the H80, which brought it back to life. I also updated the firmware to v 1.2.5 on the cooling modules with the 1.2.7 software. This fixed the fans not running. After re-flashing the v2.0.6 firmware, removing the 1.2.7 software and all folders and re-installing the v2.2.0 software, almost everything now works right. The only thing that for some reaon isn't working right is the GPU node. It was reading fine, then stopped giving a reading. at one point it seemed like rebooting brought it back, but now it's not coming back.

I have a few suggestions... In the forums, how about either making a new post that includes links to download all available firmware version for all modules, or add links to the existing firmware guides so that users don't have to search all over the place to find one file here, one there and another buried in some onter post?

In the software, add the addresses of the various sensors. Near as I can tell, in the v2 software, there is no way to tell which sensor/fan is on which module, so if you have multiple modules, it can be a cahllenge to figure out which is which. I noticed in the v1 software that the sensors originally showed up as '(controller):Sensor number' or something similar. This does not appear to be the case with the v2 software, plus if you rename the sensors, you lose the address. I would suggest that Corsair add the node number and sensor number somewhere, such as in the config panel so that when you select a sensor, there's either a line with the node & Sensor/fan (IE: 1:F1, 1:T1 for node 1 fan 1 or node 1 temp 1), or seperate lines for the node and sensor/fan.

Thanks for posting the method on how you revived the H80. I'm not really sure about the GPU node as i have no clue on how its all connected and how it works.

The device name can be changed in the dashboard so you can identify it.

If you don't know which fan or temperature sensor is which on the cooling nodes, Unplug one and rename the devices detected first. Plug the other and do the same.

I am going to agree with both of you :)

Toasted's idea of unplugging modules to help identify others will work well and, as it should not need to be done often (if ever) again is not too much of a bind.

However in the longer term it does seem a bit of an oversight on a product of this spec and it should be easy to tag the items with the controller identifier in the software as Cougar suggested. I know I ran into this problem as well and even though it was easy to get around it was frustrating to have to do it that way!

Just my $0.02 or 2p or whatever currency you use that is now worth less than it was when I started typing this !

Cheers

K

• 3 weeks later...

After doing some testing, I have noticed the following:

With the temperature units in 'Fahrenheit', which I personally prefer since that's the scale we use in the US, the GPU Power usage sits at zero. If I switch it to 'Celsius', the GPU Power reading shows properly (In my case, 31.x Watts at relative idle). Any chance of getting that fixed so it displays properly regardless of the temperature scale used (as well as Sierra2 almost constantly crashing)?

Archived