Corsair Community

Question: 4-way RGB splitter and power draw?

simplyme

First time builder here.

The motherboard I'm looking to get is the MSI X570-A Pro. It has 5 x PWM fan headers and 2 x RGB LED headers (4 pin).

The manual of the motherboard says each RGB LED header has a maximum power rating of 12v.

I am looking to install 4 LL120 RGB fans. Will it be okay to use 1 x 4-way RGB splitter and connect all 4 RGB cables to 1 RGB header or will there be too much power draw making this not possible?

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up.

Scratch that so what I'm going to do is - buy one of the triple packs (plus a single extra fan) that includes the lighting node pro and the rgb fan hub. I'll use the rgb fan hub to connect the rgb wires and then connect the pwm fan cables to the mobo (1 fan per PWM fan header given that I have 5 mobo headers).

How does that sound?

I understand I should then be able to use iCue to control the fans.

Good up until that last part... The Lighting Node Pro is a lighting controller. It is the connection between the RGB device (fans) and the software. It is not a fan controller. That is the Commander Pro (LNP + fan controller). It would replace the LNP in the system. That is an additional item.

Your motherboard can power the fans just fine and you can use PWM splitters to pair a few off if needed. I don't recommend three way splitters for the LL. However, if you decide you do want the desktop software control of the fans via the Commander Pro, don't automatically order 4 single LL120. The missing piece is the RGB Lighting Hub that comes in the triple pack. This is how lighting power is supplied to the fans. The lighting and fan power come from separate PSU connections. The RGB Hub is available separately for a nominal sum, but it is hard to find. The cost of a the triple pack vs 3 singles + RGB hub + shipping + time lost, doesn't always come out favorably for the a la carte route.

Thanks for your help. Could I just clarify something though cus it’s my first build I want to be clear and keep things as simple as possible.

If I just want to control the fans RGB aspect through software will I be okay with just the RGB hub and the node pro (both of which come in the triple pack)? So if I’m happy the motherboard controlling the fan aspect then I do not need commander pro?

In other words I just need the commander pro additionally if I want to be able to control the fan aspect (speed) through software?

Correct, you only need the Commander Pro if you want software control of the fans through iCUE and there isn't an opportunity cost to not buying it now. Since you most likely will still get the triple pack (included LNP and RGB Hub), that makes the C-Pro an easy replacement for the LNP at a later date, if desired. There is no reason you have to buy it now and it would be a physical straight swap for the LNP, although it is about three times the size (palm of your hand) to accommodate the fan controller and temp sensors. LNPs still have value with a Commander Pro and can be daisy chained in to add 2 more RGB channels.