The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Keyboards and Mice

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2020, 02:02 AM
KoblerMan's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1036163
KoblerMan Reputation: 10
Default [SOLVED] K95 RGB Platinum bricked after iCUE firmware update out of box [02/2020]

UPDATE: I've heard back from Corsair and the instructions provided were sufficient to fix my keyboard. Scroll down to my latest post for the instructions and a MediaFire link to the .bin file that was sent to me from Corsair!

Hi all,

I've had a very specific issue pertaining to my K95 RGB Platinum XT keyboard that arrived at my place of residence after being shipped from Amazon. It will not light up at all or register any keystrokes despite being plugged in.

How this happened is very frustrating. I took it out of the box, got everything plugged in and set up, did up my RGB settings just how I liked it, and noticed a button in the lower-left corner of the iCUE window that says "Update". I clicked on this, and it informed me there was a firmware update for the K95 RGB Platinum XT (it listed the versions, but I didn't really look at it and don't remember which version I was running or upgrading to).

I clicked on this and there was the typical warning message of "don't unplug your keyboard during the update or it will cause corruption", and I'm thinking, "Great, I just got this keyboard, let's do a firmware update to the latest version. What could possibly go wrong?" So I kicked off the firmware update and then took my hands away from my computer.

Well, not even 5 seconds into the update, my keyboard went dark and iCUE gave me a popup simply saying "Update failed!" with no further information. Sure enough, it was not registering any keystrokes or being detected at all within iCUE, and Windows is telling me the drivers are ****ed. It is now a shiny, brand-new $200 brick. Thanks, Corsair.

I scoured multiple forum threads about firmware problems for the K95 Platinum on multiple sites, and it looks like - though I could not find my painfully specific issue anywhere - that the general consensus is a manual uninstall and reinstall of the firmware will be required, and if that doesn't work it will need to be RMA'd. To pour salt in the wound, you have to open a ticket with Corsair just to get the frigging firmware.bin file for your specific model. You can't even DL it off Corsair's site to attempt the update yourself, despite that people on the forums post the exact instructions they got from their support tickets. Needless to say I'm very upset since I was replacing my Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 which I'm using right now to type this, which has been sending bad keystrokes for the past 2 years or so now due to previous water damage.

If anyone can provide any, and I mean ANY info that could potentially help me fix this problem myself, without voiding the warranty or opening a ticket with Corsair, I would be eternally grateful. I pretty much have nothing left to lose except the manufacturer's warranty status and I really also want to avoid an RMA. I've already tried the basics such as following instructions on Corsair's FAQ site here for doing the soft reset, rebooting my computer after nuking Windows keyboard drivers in device manager, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by KoblerMan; 03-01-2020 at 02:35 PM. Reason: ISSUE IS FIXED, adding context for that

Old 02-27-2020, 02:27 AM
KoblerMan's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1036166

UPDATE: I have submitted a support ticket detailing the problem in full to Corsair. I am awaiting a response.

UPDATE 2: It looks like when I attempted the firmware update, iCUE was out of date and not working properly, so I suppose this is the root cause of the issue. Also I tried going through the soft reset instructions again with the keyboard after updating iCUE. The only thing I have been able to get so far is a generic error message from Windows that says something to the effect of "Windows determined the last device you plugged in via USB has now malfunctioned". I've made no progress aside from that. Also, still no response from Corsair on the ticket aside from an immediate auto reply within the last 8 hours.

Last edited by KoblerMan; 02-27-2020 at 11:01 AM.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:23 AM
DoktorMoose's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1036201
DoktorMoose Reputation: 10
Angry Bricked with Latest Firmware!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoblerMan View Post
Hi all,

I've had a very specific issue pertaining to my K95 RGB Platinum XT keyboard that arrived at my place of residence after being shipped from Amazon. It will not light up at all or register any keystrokes despite being plugged in.

How this happened is very frustrating. I took it out of the box, got everything plugged in and set up, did up my RGB settings just how I liked it and noticed a button in the lower-left corner of the iCUE window that says "Update". I clicked on this, and it informed me there was a firmware update for the K95 RGB Platinum XT (it listed the versions, but I didn't really look at it and don't remember which version I was running or upgrading to).

I clicked on this and there was the typical warning message of "don't unplug your keyboard during the update or it will cause corruption", and I'm thinking, "Great, I just got this keyboard, let's do a firmware update to the latest version. What could possibly go wrong?" So I kicked off the firmware update and then took my hands away from my computer.

Well, not even 5 seconds into the update, my keyboard went dark and iCUE gave me a popup simply saying "Update failed!" with no further information. Sure enough, it was not registering any keystrokes or being detected at all within iCUE, and Windows is telling me the drivers are ****ed. It is now a shiny, brand-new $200 brick. Thanks, Corsair.

I scoured multiple forum threads about firmware problems for the K95 Platinum on multiple sites, and it looks like - though I could not find my painfully specific issue anywhere - that the general consensus is a manual uninstall and reinstall of the firmware will be required, and if that doesn't work it will need to be RMA'd. To pour salt in the wound, you have to open a ticket with Corsair just to get the frigging firmware.bin file for your specific model. You can't even DL it off Corsair's site to attempt the update yourself, despite that person on the forums post the exact instructions they got from their support tickets. Needless to say, I'm very upset since I was replacing my Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 which I'm using right now to type this, which has been sending bad keystrokes for the past 2 years or so now due to previous water damage.

If anyone can provide any, and I mean ANY info that could potentially help me fix this problem myself, without voiding the warranty or opening a ticket with Corsair, I would be eternally grateful. I pretty much have nothing left to lose except the manufacturer's warranty status and I really also want to avoid an RMA. I've already tried the basics such as following instructions on Corsair's FAQ site here for doing the soft reset, rebooting my computer after nuking Windows keyboard drivers in device manager, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help.
I second your issue, I am currently working on a ridiculously cheap keyboard to write/type this!

I went through hell on earth to get my old keyboard replaced after they fully admitted that it wasn't my fault and then send me out a new keyboard, 'TimW' from customer team, came back to me and helped me get the latest and greatest setup, so I ended up with the same KB as yourself, the supreme best they had to offer.

Just over a week after using it, I use the official latest iCUE software to update the Keyboard firmware, and exactly the same thing occurred.

TOTALLY LIVID!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200227_023856.jpg (2.09 MB, 194 views)

Old 02-27-2020, 10:39 PM
KoblerMan's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1036259

Still no official word from Corsair on this after almost 24 hours since I submitted the ticket. It reflects poorly on their customer service team to have tickets languish for so long in their system.

On the plus side, my Scimitar RGB Elite came in and I reluctantly updated the firmware on it using iCUE in the exact same manner that bricked my keyboard, but the difference is, it worked fine on my mouse. It doesn't make me any less frustrated about still having to type on my old keyboard in my lap because the new one on my desk is useless.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:42 PM

POST ID # = 1036348
Ingvarr100th Reputation: 10

I have the same problem but I'm waiting whole week for firmware from support to do hard reset.

Old 02-29-2020, 01:09 PM
KoblerMan's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1036400

It's been over 48 hours for me now. This is very frustrating. Why would the firmware file not be downloadable on Corsair's site? They could skip requiring users to put in a ticket and wait inordinate amounts of time just to be told "here's the firmware, DIY".

My plan when I hear back from Corsair is to test the install of the firmware file, and if it works with the instructions they give me, I will put a MediaFire link containing it along with the instructions in this thread. That way if there's a workaround that doesn't require an RMA anyone with this problem won't have to go through all the BS.

If I don't hear back from Corsair soon enough, I may just refund the device through Amazon. This is getting ridiculous.

Old 02-29-2020, 01:45 PM

POST ID # = 1036402

Well if you get FW earlier please PM, I will do the same

Old 02-29-2020, 03:30 PM
MarT1n71's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1036406
MarT1n71 Reputation: 10

When iCue bricked by ironclaw mouse it took "customer service" two weeks to get back to me, and then a further two weeks to agree to RMA it, then another week for the replacement to arrive. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:18 PM

POST ID # = 1036414
Caderz Reputation: 10

I also have the same issue. Just put in a ticket.

I wish I would've looked up to see if there were any issues before updating. Since the "issue" I was having was very minor and now it's a ***** show.

(FYI the "issue" I had was whenever I booted my computer, the default rainbow RGB lighting would cause issues with the saved profile I had made and displayed some keys in different colors. So I figured, since I payed for such an expensive keyboard I shouldn't have to deal with any sort of issues. (This was actually a replacement from the original model after 1 year of use ironically..) Kudos to this old HP chiclet keyboard..)

And to top it all off the "issue" I had wasn't even in the original.. Pretty upset.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:13 PM

POST ID # = 1036417

Well all what we need is firmware image which is hard to obtain driectly from Corsair. That's all. I can't believe it that upload of single file is taking so much time.

Old 03-01-2020, 01:04 PM
KoblerMan's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1036463
Default [SOLVED] K95 RGB Platinum bricked after iCUE firmware update out of box [02/2020]

Alright everyone, this problem is RESOLVED for me.

Instructions received:
Quote:
Reinstalling the firmware of your device may correct the issue. We suggest doing this manually and have uploaded the firmware for your device to the ticket in order to do so. Please follow the directions below:

1: Unplug your keyboard from the computer.
2: Locate the small pinhole underneath your keyboard. For some, this will be located near the polling rate switch by the cable. On others, it will be located underneath on the tilt legs on the bottom of the keyboard.
3: Using a small paperclip or push-pin, press down on the button inside the pinhole.
4: Plug your keyboard back into the computer, while holding down the pinhole button.
5: Once it is plugged back in, your computer should recognize a drive called CRP_Disabled. Please open this.
6: Download the firmware file from the ticket. If it is compressed into a.RAR file, please extract this file to an easily found location on the computer.
7: Delete the file FIRMWARE.BIN from the CRP_DISABLED drive, and then place the file with ISP in its name to the CRP_Disabled drive.
8: Once you have performed the steps above, please unplug your keyboard and then plug it back in. The device will then return to normal. Please test to see if the issue reappears. If it does, please inform us on the ticket for further troubleshooting.
Here is the link to the .bin file: https://www.mediafire.com/file/w2694...11.25.bin/file

I followed the instructions verbatim and it worked. Note: This .bin file is for the K95 RGB Platinum XT and NOT FOR ANY OTHER KEYBOARD. Also note: DO NOT rename the file. It is fine as-is!
Attached Images
File Type: png corsair_response.png (47.8 KB, 349 views)

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:55 PM

POST ID # = 1036481
Caderz Reputation: 10

I don't think my keyboard is fixable. Since I tried holding down the pin and plugging it back in, but CRP_Disabled doesn't show up. I tried multiple times as well but, think I'm going to have to go to my retailer to replace or refund it.

Edit: Miraculously after I tried doing it again before calling the retailer the CRP_Disabled showed up. However after removing the firmware.bin and replacing it with the new firmware the keyboard lit up but was unresponsive. But after doing a soft reset the keyboard works again!

Last edited by Caderz; 03-01-2020 at 05:22 PM.

Old 03-03-2020, 06:02 PM

POST ID # = 1036703
DaSniper Reputation: 10

@KoblerMan
Thank you soooo much for posting the .BIN file! I just bought the same keyboard, and bricked it while doing the update even before I used it! (I'm used to update my firmwares to get rid of the wrinkles before using my new things)

I registered on the forum only to post this!

Old 03-28-2020, 12:31 AM
TheHouseOfTom's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1039052
TheHouseOfTom Reputation: 10

Quote:

Instructions received:

Here is the link to the .bin file: https://www.mediafire.com/file/w2694...11.25.bin/file

I followed the instructions verbatim and it worked. Note: This .bin file is for the K95 RGB Platinum XT and NOT FOR ANY OTHER KEYBOARD. Also note: DO NOT rename the file. It is fine as-is!
Same exact instructions I received from Corsair, and this way worked like a charm and no issues since.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:43 PM
Kevsrocking's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1041390
Kevsrocking Reputation: 10

Quote:

Instructions received:

Life saver... just got mine today... 4/14/2020. Same thing happened when I went to update the stock firmware. After unplugging and replugging, I was seeing the folder when I plugged my keyboard in with OEM firmware. Cut it out put the new file in from your link, unplugged replugged and nothing. I did the soft reset using the esc key. Unplug, pressing the esc key down, plug it back in, heard a beep, no flash?, unplugged then plugged back in. Worked. Checked the firmware again, said it was up to date. The firmware file wasn't .rar or zip. Regular firmware file with a crazy name but had lsp in it. I was glad I didn't have to use the manual reset. Thanks for this post... saved me the hassle of trying to return a brand new keyboard or worse file an RMA. Feel sorry for those who are not as computer savvy... they'll be fighting a dead keyboard. Corsair better fix this... then again only savvy folks will spend $200 on a keyboard... lol