Corsair Community

My Corsair Strafe dead?

QuorthonRhar

Hi,

I was happy k70 MX red with blue LEDs owner till yesterday. I gave it to my daughter and got myself Strafe MX red. It worked flawlessly, and today all of a sudden stopped working. Not a single light is coming on, it looks like device is not even connected. Tried every single USB port (2.0) on my machine, same results. Can't make it work at all.

I am on Windows 10 Pro, and currently typing this on some cheapo membrane keyboard.

Just to make it little clearer... I started CUE software (latest version, and my Strafe has latest firmware installed 1.30). I was looking at some light effects, duplicated one of the presets (Visor effect) and saved it to keyboard's memory. After that, I turned CUE off (completely shut down application). Before, when I did that, keyboard would simply go back to "normal" lighting modes where I could chose intensity of light using that key on the top of the keyboard. This time, when I exited CUE, all lights died and I realized I wasn't even able to type on my keyboard anymore... nothing, dead device.

Can someone help please, or is this device supposed to go back to Amazon?

Thanks in advance, your help is greatly appreciated.

Desperate Strafe user :(

Opened the ticket, explained everything, got respond from them with instructions how to try to revive it and reinstall FW. Followed everything to the word, keyboard is completely dead. Absolutely nothing I can do to bring it back to life.

I did exactly as suggested. I have the latest BIOS installed along with all Windows 10 updates. Even though I had latest CUE software 1.9.6.2, I uninstalled it like suggested and reinstalled it. Plugged my keyboard to USB 3.0 port while holding ESC key on the keyboard. Keyboard looks completely dead, not a single light came up not for a split of second even.

CUE software complains "NO DEVICE DETECTED. PLEASE CONNECT A DEVICE." even though I connected my keyboard to USB 3.0 while holding ESC key. USB passthrough cable is not connected, it's hanging.

DEVICE tab in CUE software is grayed out, nothing clickable there.

I've noticed there is a pin-hole behind one of the legs for raising the keyboard at the back... tried pressing it and connecting keyboard to the USB port. If I press it and plug my keyboard as suggested into USB 3.0 port, I hear windows recognize it (there is that New Hardware found sound), but still all lights on keyboard are still off, and keyboard is still not functional.

I guess it's time to return it to Amazon.

I know it looks like I am talking to myself in this thread, but I will post this anyway... it might help other people with same problem (hope no one else will have it, but reality is always different).

I solved it, my Strafe works perfectly fine now. :headbang:

It was corrupt firmware as I suspected... So this is what I did.

1.) found a Windows 7 machine at my office. Tried plugging the keyboard in, but again not a single sign of life coming out of my keyboard. I was expecting that actually, since I suspected it's corrupt firmware.

2.) I installed latest version of CUE (1.9.62). It would still report "No Device Installed".

3.) I unplugged my Strafe. Took a paperclip and pressed inside the pin-hole (reset button) underneath the right hand side feet (for raising the keyboard). Since I wasn't sure if it needs to be pressed and released or pressed and held for some time, I pressed it and held it like that for 30 seconds. No change on keyboard, no blinking lights, no signs at all... but I did it just for the sake of trying.

4.) Next thing I did is, I held ESC key and then plugged keyboard USB into the USB 2.0 port. Instantly there was that Windows "New Hardware Found" chime and at the task bar I could see it was installing new hardware. The funny thing is, it wasn't installing keyboard hardware... it was installing USB storage device (that's what it said), and there was a name that I forgot, but it looked like this "DRG storage".

5.) Once installation was completed and success. I went to My Computer, found that USB storage that's just been installed, opened it and to my surprise, there was "firmware.bin" file inside, 128 Kb. Earlier I downloaded file named "STRAFE_app130.bin" from here: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=138472 (Thank you for your thread zheren159!!).

6.) I renamed that "STRAFE_app130.bin" to "firmware.bin" and tried replacing the old file on that USB storage (my keyboard). It wouldn't replace it, it just gave me a message there must be 128 Kb free on the storage to copy the file. I erased the old, corrupt "firmware.bin", and moved my new one "STRAFE_app130.bin" (that's now renamed to "firmware.bin") to the USB storage (my Strafe keyboard).

It worked!! File was copied, keyboard still looked dead, but I knew I have to unplug it and plug it back in, in order to load newly installed firmware, which I did. Keyboard lit up instantly, CUE recognized it immediately and the rest is history now. My keyboard is not dead, it works perfectly fine now. It was corrupt firmware.

I hope this could help someone else with same problems.

Regards!

Thanks James, you have no idea how happy I was when I finally saw some signs my brand new keyboard still has some life in it. Once I saw it mounted as USB storage and that firmware.bin file inside, my only concern was... What if I can't erase it or replace it with new one? After successful wipe of the corrupt one and copy/paste of the new one to the keyboard memory, I jumped from my chair... Literally! And keyboard wasn't even looking alive, no lights nothing... But I had a feeling it will work as soon as I unplug and plug it back in. And it did! What a feeling.

Just one more quick question if I may... I am so interested what was that 3 letter name for the USB storage that my Windows 7 machine recognized my keyboard as? In my previous post I listed it as "DRG Storage", because I can't recall what the name really was. I'd like to know that name, and would appreciate if you could help with that. Thanks in advance! I'd also update my previous post, so it doesn't confuse people for no reason. Original name of the USB storage for the Strafe keyboard would make much more sense than my random "DRG storage" in that post

I'm so happy my new keyboard works perfectly now, I've decided to post couple of photos of it after the successful restore, or should I say "revival"... :)

Little note... for all those who wonder as to why my space bar is smooth and not textured... it's because I replaced the original textured one with the one I have from my K70 new batch. I've got it with smooth space bar and James sent me textured one at one point (just like he did send them to everybody who asked). So my smooth space bar fits perfectly to my new Strafe, and it's exactly the same smooth texture as in the rest of the keys. I love it!

http://i.imgur.com/Z7fWDXrl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/f6wLoHel.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6C9VC1Xl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/88aWu0Il.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AEdAbrGl.jpg

• 6 months later...

Hey brother, thanks for you posts! My STRAFE RGB looks like a dead one now. I've created a ticket and waiting for responds. If their methods do not work, I'll give your method a try.

Thanks for sharing so important experience!

Yeah, no problem. Well, even though they can help with a lot of things, when it comes to this problem, they were unable to even think of something that would even remotely help me bring back this keyboard to life.

What I did worked perfectly fine for me. You just have to follow each step I lined up there exactly... even when it says at the end "I tried this just for the sake of trying, and it looks like nothing happened...", do not leave that step out. It might be that combination of steps I did, is exactly what's needed to force this keyboard to boot into the storage mode. Once you see firmware.bin file in there, I can say with 100% certainty you'll fix your keyboard. Note that you won't be able to replace it with the new file. It won't allow you. You will keep getting a message that there is not enough space. You have to erase the old (corrupt) file, and once storage is empty, copy and paste the new firmware file in there. Follow the rest of steps and once you unplug and plug it back in, your keyboard should come back to life.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers!

Yeah, no problem. Well, even though they can help with a lot of things, when it comes to this problem, they were unable to even think of something that would even remotely help me bring back this keyboard to life.

What I did worked perfectly fine for me. You just have to follow each step I lined up there exactly... even when it says at the end "I tried this just for the sake of trying, and it looks like nothing happened...", do not leave that step out. It might be that combination of steps I did, is exactly what's needed to force this keyboard to boot into the storage mode. Once you see firmware.bin file in there, I can say with 100% certainty you'll fix your keyboard. Note that you won't be able to replace it with the new file. It won't allow you. You will keep getting a message that there is not enough space. You have to erase the old (corrupt) file, and once storage is empty, copy and paste the new firmware file in there. Follow the rest of steps and once you unplug and plug it back in, your keyboard should come back to life.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers!

I've tried your steps, but it didn't show up a storage disk:confused: I unplugged my keyboard, clicked the reset button and holding up to 30s. And when I connected it back to USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 port(I've tried twice), I can hear the sound of installing new device in windows, but it didn't show up as disk instead of a keyboard device in the system manager panel.

:confused::confused::confused:

Are you using Win7 machine? Note that I wasn't able to replicate this on either Win8.1 nor Win10. On Win7 it worked every single time.

Not just that you need to hear "installing new hardware" sound, you also need to see that message on the desktop, plus "installing new hardware succsessful" one at the end.

Then in your storage/hds, keyboard should be listed as storage with some weird name (can't recall it exactly).

Are you using Win7 machine? Note that I wasn't able to replicate this on either Win8.1 nor Win10. On Win7 it worked every single time.

Not just that you need to hear "installing new hardware" sound, you also need to see that message on the desktop, plus "installing new hardware succsessful" one at the end.

Then in your storage/hds, keyboard should be listed as storage with some weird name (can't recall it exactly).

Yes, I'm using a Win7 machine.

And I've seen the install message. I clicked the bubble and it said it is installing keyboard...

A different things from you is that when holding ESC key and connected to the computer, my keyboard is showing red light although it cannot be used to type words.

I tried the 1.9.62 version CUE as you mentioned in your post, and it said `device not found`. Then I updated it to the newest one and it can recognize my keyboard and showing the firmware is damaged. But I cannot successfully update it.

I've update some snapshot in my own question post http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=156854

@QuorthonRhar

One more question, I should holding the reset button while plugging or not? I saw in your posts that the first time you holding it with plugging and the second time you unplugged and holding it for 30s?

@QuorthonRhar

One more question, I should holding the reset button while plugging or not? I saw in your posts that the first time you holding it with plugging and the second time you unplugged and holding it for 30s?

No, I never said you have to hold reset pressed while plugging the keyboard. This is what I said:

"...3.) I unplugged my Strafe. Took a paperclip and pressed inside the pin-hole (reset button) underneath the right hand side feet (for raising the keyboard). Since I wasn't sure if it needs to be pressed and released or pressed and held for some time, I pressed it and held it like that for 30 seconds. No change on keyboard, no blinking lights, no signs at all... but I did it just for the sake of trying..."

That's the only time I've tried reset. Maybe it did something, but I surely did not get any feedback from the keyboard. No blinking lights, nothing. Maybe it did something in the background however, that's why I said it's good to do that step and not skip it.

Second time, you mentioned... it wasn't RESET button that I held pressed while plugging the keyboard. It was the ESC key on the keyboard.

See my step #4:

"...4.) Next thing I did is, I held ESC key and then plugged keyboard USB into the USB 2.0 port. Instantly there was that Windows "New Hardware Found" chime and at the task bar I could see it was installing new hardware. The funny thing is, it wasn't installing keyboard hardware... it was installing USB storage device (that's what it said), and there was a name that I forgot, but it looked like this "DRG storage"..."

Also, if I were you, I'd try to find firmware that's specific to your model, RGB. I did not do these steps with RGB model, but with regular MX Red with RED LEDs. I am not sure, but those two keyboards probably have different firmwares they use.

No, I never said you have to hold reset pressed while plugging the keyboard. This is what I said:

"...3.) I unplugged my Strafe. Took a paperclip and pressed inside the pin-hole (reset button) underneath the right hand side feet (for raising the keyboard). Since I wasn't sure if it needs to be pressed and released or pressed and held for some time, I pressed it and held it like that for 30 seconds. No change on keyboard, no blinking lights, no signs at all... but I did it just for the sake of trying..."

That's the only time I've tried reset. Maybe it did something, but I surely did not get any feedback from the keyboard. No blinking lights, nothing. Maybe it did something in the background however, that's why I said it's good to do that step and not skip it.

Second time, you mentioned... it wasn't RESET button that I held pressed while plugging the keyboard. It was the ESC key on the keyboard.

See my step #4:

"...4.) Next thing I did is, I held ESC key and then plugged keyboard USB into the USB 2.0 port. Instantly there was that Windows "New Hardware Found" chime and at the task bar I could see it was installing new hardware. The funny thing is, it wasn't installing keyboard hardware... it was installing USB storage device (that's what it said), and there was a name that I forgot, but it looked like this "DRG storage"..."

Also, if I were you, I'd try to find firmware that's specific to your model, RGB. I did not do these steps with RGB model, but with regular MX Red with RED LEDs. I am not sure, but those two keyboards probably have different firmwares they use.

Sorry for late reply. Had a busy week.

I missed the fact that the FW is for Strafe but not for the RGB model...

And after trying many times, I accepted the suggestion from Corsair to ship it back and get a warranty replacement.

Thanks for your help!

• 1 year later...
Hello, I own a Corsair k30 raptor and I'm trying to fix it using your method. So far I have got to step number 6. However, I'm stuck since I put my old files in a Corsair folder but when I try to import it to the keyboard config application the file shows nothing. :/

Here are some links to screenshots of my problem

- http://prntscr.com/g7ydw1

http://prntscr.com/g7ye70

If you can please may you put some screenshots of how to fix this?

Thank you! :)

I am not sure what you're trying to do, plus I have never tried it with K30 Raptor.

All I can see from your screenshots is that you're trying to put those files inside the folders on your local computer. Is that correct?

I did not do that. I extracted BIN file (firmware) and put it directly into the storage of my keyboard, keyboard's memory, not inside the local folders on your computer.

I simply placed firmware file manually into my keyboard. That's what I did, but I am not sure same thing would work with K30. Maybe someone from Corsair could confirm?

Cheers!

Archived