Corsair Community

Fans won't spin under 25% in iCue

Geowil

Hello,

I am trying to set up some profiles to deal with heat spiking with the 3900x and keeping the fans at lower rpms until the cpu is under load. However iCue will not allow the fans to spin if I set the curve node under 25% (always stays at 0 RPM).

If I go into the bios and mess around with the fan speeds through there when I have then hooked into the board they will spin at lower rpms.

The fans are 2 ML140 Platinum RGB fans that come with the H115i and an LL140 Pro RGB and a LL120 Pro RGB. The two MLs are hooked up to the motherboard through the AIO while the LLs are hooked into a commander pro.

How can I get iCue to start working properly for this?

All fans have a minimum speed. The ML should be around 400 rpm. The LL will be 600 rpm.

On the H115i Plat controls in iCUE, keep bumping up the % until you find the start trigger. Most fans are not mathematically perfect with their PWM % of maximum = X speed. However, most are close with some shifts at the lowest and highest limits.

On the Commander Pro, the fan control is RPM based rather than PWM %. That should be simple enough to set the curve. If you set it too low, it should still run at 600 rpm from this device. Absolute minimum will vary. Some of my LLs will do 550 or 575, but not all.

The BIOS should have no effect on any of these fans, unless you connected them to the motherboard instead of the Commander Pro fan headers or the Platinum's fan controller for the radiator fans.

All fans have a minimum speed. The ML should be around 400 rpm. The LL will be 600 rpm.

On the H115i Plat controls in iCUE, keep bumping up the % until you find the start trigger. Most fans are not mathematically perfect with their PWM % of maximum = X speed. However, most are close with some shifts at the lowest and highest limits.

On the Commander Pro, the fan control is RPM based rather than PWM %. That should be simple enough to set the curve. If you set it too low, it should still run at 600 rpm from this device. Absolute minimum will vary. Some of my LLs will do 550 or 575, but not all.

The BIOS should have no effect on any of these fans, unless you connected them to the motherboard instead of the Commander Pro fan headers or the Platinum's fan controller for the radiator fans.

I was wondering if it was something similar and yes, thru the bios I had hooked them into the PWM headers on my motherboard for testing.

Kind of annoying that they are using RPM as a measurement of speed instead of the voltage %, that is kind of the point of a PWM fan.

Kind of annoying that they are using RPM as a measurement of speed instead of the voltage %, that is kind of the point of a PWM fan.

Not really. Turns out a lot of people are bad at math and cannot calculate 25% of 2000 rpm = 500 rpm. Ultimately, you want a specific RPM and not a specific PWM % anyway. It also deals better with those odd slopes at the beginning and end of the curve. If I tell it I want to run a 1500 rpm max fan at 1425, I set 1425 rpm and its done. With PWM % you would need to increase 1% at time to find that exact spot. Either way, it is still PWM control.