Corsair Community

Issue With Link and Fans

GrillMeACheese

So, I have a bunch of Azza Hurricane II fans (7 to be exact) along with 3 Light Bars that are aRGB connecters that run perfectly when daisy chained to the mobo. However, recently I tried to use adapters I got so that I could connect and run them all through iCue so I could better sync up and customize everything in my system. Upon doing so, I'm able to only get 1 light bar and 3 fans to work. If I disconnect one cord, 2 others will come on, so I'm not sure that it's a matter of if I connected them properly, but I'm thinking more so that I've hit the power limit within the Node Core/Node Pro, though that doesn't make sense to me given their direct connection to the PSU. In any case, this is how I've wired them:

2OHIJ4x.png

Any help troubleshooting this or any suggestions for alternate methods is very much appreciated.

Furthermore, I know that recently iCue started allowing integration with ASUS Aura Sync. If I just connect the daisy chain to my mobo like I had previously, am I able to control each fan individually like I was trying to do by connecting to the Node Core?

Is that a Node Core or a Fan Hub that you have? They are different beasties.

Why do you have the Node Pro connected to port 3 on the "Node Core"? The LNC is independent and has a USB connection, you don't connect it to the Node Pro. Unless that's actually a fan hub.

You cannot skip ports on the Fan Hub or LNC.

Which 3 fans work? And how do you have the channels configured? And how many LEDs are on each of these things?

Finally - power limits are a thing. Even though it's directly connected to the PSU, the SATA power connection only supports 4.5A on the 5V rail. Furthermore, PSU's won't supply their full power load on the "minor" rails - so you will have a limit to the amount of 5V current that you can draw. That said, you should still be under what most will do.

Is that a Node Core or a Fan Hub that you have? They are different beasties.

You're right. It's a fan hub. I thought they were the same thing. And I figured out that Port 1 of the Node Pro is just the power/line in to the Fan Hub and isn't going to port 3. I got one of my lines confused.

Which 3 fans work? And how do you have the channels configured?

I'll have to check/test and get back to you on that. But, from memory and my notes, the two lower front fans worked (Port 2 on the hub), one of the top fans worked (Port 1), and only one of the light bars worked (Port 2 on the Node Pro). As for how I have the channels configured, I'm not sure I follow. Do you mean in iCue? If so, then they are just default configurations.

And how many LEDs are on each of these things?

No idea for the light bars. As for the Hurricane II fans, the specifications didn't seem to say. This is the page for them though.

Finally - power limits are a thing. Even though it's directly connected to the PSU, the SATA power connection only supports 4.5A on the 5V rail. Furthermore, PSU's won't supply their full power load on the "minor" rails - so you will have a limit to the amount of 5V current that you can draw. That said, you should still be under what most will do.

Hmmm that may be the issue. Between the Fan and LEDs it seems each are running at 616mA, so 7 in all brings it awfully close and then add in 3 light bars. So would I have to just run a separate Node Pro or is there a way to channel everything through the MB so I can regulate it from there? Everything works fine when daisy chained through the MB at least.

Forgive my ignorance on some things. I'm good with building but don't understand the power usage when it comes to RGB lighting. I do know I went overboard with my PSU just to be safe.

OK. First, you need to configure the channel in iCUE. Using the adapters will confuse things as they will duplicate the RGB control signal to the next device in the line. This is what we need the configuration for - you'll need to "tell" iCUE how many and what kind of devices are on the channel. But because things are duplicated, you'd need a number of LEDs equal to whatever has the most on the channel.

If the strip is connected to the LNP, that should be OK. The Fan Hub has its own power (4.5A) and then the LNP has power (4.5A total, half that on each). So I think that you are good there.

Going "overboard" on the PSU doesn't really matter. PSUs are rated primarily on the 12V rail. You need to look at the 5V rail rating, which will be significantly lower. It'll be anywhere from 15A - 30A, depending on model. I couldn't find that on the BeQuiet that you have listed in your profile but it'll likely be on a label on the PSU itself.