Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2019, 08:21 PM
Arcygenical's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1021387
Arcygenical Reputation: 10
Default Commander Pro getting... Hot?

Hello all,

I'm using the commander pro to, eventually, sync up some RBG fans and WS2812B light strips.

The unit works fine, and does what I need it to.

However, I noticed, after a night of idling (nothing attached, not a single header was populated) the unit was very, very warm. I was simply doing a 24 hour CPU stress test on a bench rig that I use, mainly for 3D printing and programming Arduino (can't BSOD during a 12 hour 3D print!)

The case was easy enough to open, and using both an IR thermometer, and one of the thermistors/ Temp probes included with the Commander Pro, the two small chips, labeled 339 G0O4918, were reaching temperatures of over 60c. The IR thermometer showed 63c, and the thermistor registered 58c.

Most people say their units are cool to the touch. Mine was not.

Again, iCue was open, to the monitoring dashboard. Nothing was plugged into the unit, not even the temperature probes.

I tried this again on my main system, and noticed the exact same behavior. Voltages were all within ATX specifications, within a few mv away from optimal as per a multimeter.

Is this... Normal for these units?

Old 10-15-2019, 08:58 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1021388
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

I don't think too many people's Commander Pro are cool to the touch. If so, they are touching the wrong spot. It has a very definite central hot spot. I have never taken the cover off assess the individual circuits, but reaching near 40C on the shell is pretty common. This one has been running for two years. No problems.

25C ambient room temp

Old 10-15-2019, 09:52 PM
Arcygenical's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1021391
Arcygenical Reputation: 10

Thank you very much. I appreciate the FLIR image. That goes in-line with what I'm experiencing.

The reason I was worried, is that I received a unit that had a fault in it. I have since RMA'd to the vendor, but I was skeptical about something on my end... It seems weird to see chips like that hitting 60c in such a non-use condition... IMHO at least.

Last edited by Arcygenical; 10-15-2019 at 10:04 PM.