Corsair Community

HX850 extremely loud coil whine?

Boring

Hello,

i just bought an HX850 to replace an old AX1200. The AX1200 got really loud and was just out of warranty. Instead of replacing the fan I just wanted to buy a new quiet one.

I found the HX850 and thought "Great! Passive mode for low consumption, must be so quiet!". Ordered it, replace the old PSU and turned the system on. What. is. going. on. This one is even louder than the broken AX1200, just by the coil whine. Is this supposed to be this way or did I get a particularly bad one?

[ame]

[/ame]

It sounds like a seeking hard drive, but there is none in my system.

The noise recorded was randomly occuring at idle. At around 100W input.

It is clearly audible inside the closed, foamed up case from 5 meters away.

On slight load, around 400W, it's is consistent (meaning no breaks, constant chirping) and even louder. It is absolutely unbearable.

My question for this is: Does it makes sense to RMA it or should i just get a different one (non-corsair)?

My case fans are louder which is mostly due to the fact they are moving

get a good quality power bar with a filter and surge protection which should help with some line noise

in winter the fans run slower as the ambient air is cooler. its summer right now so the ambient temperature pushes the cooling system a tad

Edited by Vegan

• Corsair Employee
The noise recorded was randomly occuring at idle. At around 100W input.

It is clearly audible inside the closed, foamed up case from 5 meters away.

On slight load, around 400W, it's is consistent (meaning no breaks, constant chirping) and even louder. It is absolutely unbearable.

My question for this is: Does it makes sense to RMA it or should i just get a different one (non-corsair)?

This isn't normal. You should do an RMA.

This isn't normal. You should do an RMA.

I just learned what RMA actually means, I thought it was replace/repair and not refund too. After reading more posts i decided to not risk a replacement of the same type. PSUs are being really scarce right now for some reason, so i decided to buy a different product in a local score. Not sure if I'm allowed to say what it is.

Thanks for your support, guys.

• Corsair Employee
I just learned what RMA actually means, I thought it was replace/repair and not refund too. After reading more posts i decided to not risk a replacement of the same type. PSUs are being really scarce right now for some reason, so i decided to buy a different product in a local score. Not sure if I'm allowed to say what it is.

Thanks for your support, guys.

The odds of you getting another HX850 that makes that noise are the same as getting any other make/model PSU that makes that noise.

But as long as you're happy with the end result, that's what matters.