Corsair Community

16GB Memory Increase to 64GB on MSI Z170A GAMING M5

cvonnieda

Just bought 64GB of Corsair LPX memory 3200mhz (16GB x 4) CMK64GX4M4B3200C16 and when I add it to the 3rd and/or 4th slot the PC doesn't boot. 32GB works. Tried just 3 sticks, same result. I tested each stick one by one in the first slot, all work so it's not a bad module. XLP in the BIOS was not turned on, I tried it with it on and off. Tried it as 2133 mhz, and 3200mhz.

Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by Technobeard
removed system specs; already in profile

Have you checked for any BIOS updates?

Also, your kit does not seem to appear on the QVL list for this mobo/CPU. What ver. do you have? Its on the back of the sticks next to the CMK64GX4M4B3200C16

Thanks for the comments. I have not checked for a bios update but will now. Version 4.32

Unfortunately this version no. does not appear on the QVL at all. From what I was able to find out, there is only one kit that supposedly uses the same IC and that is only verified for 8GB sticks and single+dual DIMM config.

If a BIOS update doesn't help I'm afraid you will have to try and overclock those manually if you are somehow able to get into bios with 4 sticks installed. It's probably way easier to exchange them for a verified kit to run XMP.

See here:

https://de.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-M5#support-mem-4

well, even if they are not on QVL, the thing should boot at base frequencies.

can you try to boot with one stick on slot 4, then just one stick on slot 3?

I hope it's not a cracked solder joint on one of the sockets back there. it's a common failure point on motherboards.

• Corsair Employee

The description of your issue is going to be one of three things or a combination. First is compatibility with your motherboard, or you have a defective DIMM slot on the motherboard, and finally is the integrated memory controller on your physical CPU just isn't capable of running that full kit.

Have you tested each slot on your motherboard individually? If you have and the sticks work no matter what slot is used our recommendation would be to process a return of the kit and purchase a kit that is listed as compatible on your motherboards memory QVL at your intended capacity and speed.