Corsair Community

Benini

Hey guys, i've got a nATX mainboard with (only) a 4 PIN CPU_FAN and a 3 PIN CHASSIS_FAN. Both of them are marked with 12V.

Whats the best way, to connect the watercooler h45? the manual recommend to connect the 3 PIN to the CPU_FAN and the 4 PIN to a chassis fan.

My idea is to connect it in the opposite way:

3 PIN to my 3 PIN CHASSIS_FAN and the 4 PIN to my 4 PIN CPU_FAN.

Whats your recommondations?

Note: I've started up once to check if my diy server posting and all works fine (the fan is running).

Thanks

Benini

That will be fine. Something has to be on cpu fan to boot. Doesn’t matter if it is a fan or a pump. Since your board has definite 3 and 4 pin connectors, the choice is made. The pump needs a full 12v signal so make sure the 3 pin is set to 100% or disabled.

• 3 months later...

Hi! After years owning a H45 I noticed my mistake with the cooler. Actually I had a two-fan-mount behind (stock) and in front of the radiator, so never really had issues with that. Thing is, I always thought the pump would pump more or less with the workload, what is not the case.

Well, in short, if you mean to reduce noise and run the fans at lowest speeds while temps are also low, and accordingly pick up as the CPU heats, you should do this:

- pump power plug: connect o a CHASSIS_FAN (or SYS_FAN) and set it to full speed, always. According to post #7 in H45 pump Noisy thread, corsair support recommends it to be always at 100%.

- 12" fan power plug: connect to the CPU_FAN it should go.

This way you will get the fan blowing air according to the CPU temperature dissipation and will be in-check with corsair (reportedly) recommendation for our hardware.

If you just set all fans to 100% in BIOS then this information is irrelevant to you -- as long as your fan and pump are at 100% always, there's not improvement (other than noise level and maybe fan life span).

This reported recommendation from corsair is congruent to the RPM values I get from the pump as I calibrate the workload-per-rpm values in gigabyte's System Information Viewer Smart Fan Advanced feature.

I believe I worked with the wrong set up for a loong time! Thought the "pump picked up" with the workload input to the pump power jack until recently I removed an extra 12" fan I had in the other side of the radiator. :)