Corsair Community

CM2X1024-8500C5D and ASUS P5N-D

iLLuCiD

Hello, I recently bought a new build which consists of:

Core2Duo E6750 processor

CM2X1024-8500C5D ver4.1 memory

ASUS P5N-D motherboard

I've been building computer for as long as I can remember and I've been lucky enough to have never run into any problems I couldn't figure out. I guess it's bound to happen...

Anyway, I can't seem to get the memory to run at the rated 1066 MHz. When the settings are on auto, the memory defaults to 800 MHz at the rated 5-5-5-15. I then tried to manually set the timings, fsb, and voltage: unlinked, cpu to 1333, memory to 1066, and mem. voltage to 2.11V. Computer would not post and just hang at black screen and constant beep. I figured maybe I could have gotten one bad stick and tested both modules separately, but there was no difference.

The system runs rock stable when the memory is at 800 MHz when running memtest and playing and video games.

Does anyone have any ideas? I figured the motherboard and memory should be compatible, which I saw somewhere on the corsair website before making my purchase. The motherboard doesn't say it supports 1066, but I figured it'd be just like overclocking the ram to run it at it's rated frequency. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance.

That board should have no issues with 8500C5 DRAM. You can Memtest with setting a single stick in each slot. As well, set the sticks in Slot 2 & 4 and Memtest. If neither works, then as you are not a neophyte, I would look towards RMA of the board. The return on these boards due to issues with the Memory Controller is fairly high. If I had your issues, this would be the route I would go. Keep in mind that the possibility of both sticks of DRAM being errored is quite high although you can, if you wish, test the sticks on another board to be certain.

Archived