Corsair Community

PSU cable selection question

mpoffo

I bought some sleeved cables for my build about a year ago and use the 6/8 pin connectors to power both of my GTX 780's in SLI. I will be adding a third GTX 780 card and I am out of the sleeved, straight 6/8 pin cables. I do have two sleeved cables that plug into an 8 pin on the PSU (1200i) and then it daisy chains two 6/8 pin connectors.

I know this is probably a stupid question but will the card be fine power wise using this one daisy chained connector vs using the two separate cables on the first two cards.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

While 250W is quite the load, it should be fine. It's not like you're trying to run a 295X2 off a single cable (which I've seen done, but I can't say I feel warm fuzzies about it). ;)

Thanks. These are Corsair ones if that makes a difference. :greengrin

I suppose if it is better I could use the two corded ones with extra connecter and try to hide the second connector. I also could use the ones that came with the 1200i as well. You imply that is probably the safer bet?

I just wanted the cables to match. I wish I could buy just the 6/8 pin sleeved ones from Corsair.

• Corsair Employee

Using the double connector will be fine. 250W is the TDP of the card, and unless you're mining for Cyber-currency, you're not going to get anywhere near that on your second and third card. When you SLI, the second card uses less power than the first and the third uses less power than the second.

The connector on the PSU side is rated for somewhere in the neighborhood of 150W and you have another 75W coming from the slot. So you'll be more than fine.

Archived