Corsair Community

Link / Commander Pro Feature Request

DevBiker

So ... I was surprised to learn that the Commander Pro doesn't control DC fans; apparently you can only fully control PWM fans. That's cool as I plan on replacing the lone DC fan that's currently plugged into my new Commander Pro shortly.

I recall folks asking to control by percentages and the answer to that was that it was more difficult than it appeared. While this would be ideal, a second option would be to be able to configure Link with the max fan speed for a particular fan on a particular port (since you can set it to 100%). If we can't get percentages, having this would at least provide the user with a valid range of speeds for the particular fan that's plugged in to the port.

• Corsair Employees

Commander PRO is supposed to be able to control DC fans.

The way the Commander PRO works is that it auto-detects the type of fan connected to each port and then tailors its control around that. The problem we've run into is that sometimes the auto-detect doesn't work - it's actually a little less reliable than the one in the old Commander Mini.

The next version of LINK - coupled with the most recent firmware update for Commander PRO - will allow end users to manually configure the types of fans plugged into each port, and this should resolve fan control issues.

Thanks. Actually already removed the fan as it wasn't operating quite how I wanted. But ... as I was thinking about the whole fan control by RPM thing with Commander (which, btw, is a super-annoying quirk of an otherwise excellent product) ... so IIRC, that's something that you said was difficult to change. But ... I don't think it has to be. In fact, I think it'd be really super-cool if the Commander Mini actually tested the fans for min and max speeds (both the Asus and Asrock boards, that I know of personally, do this) and then allowed adjustment within that range only. In fact, you could use the software to provide a nice layer of abstraction that would provide percentage control to the user but still provide RPMs to the device, if that's what the device actually requires. After all, there is no problem in software development that can't be solved with another layer of abstraction, right? ;-) And since you can manually set the % for each fan, I can't imagine that this would be too difficult.

Archived